So What Are All the Changes Anyway....?

kcwiak

It seems like every week there is some sort of new fee and people find out halfway through a cruise they are on and report it here.

They will find out the first night if they have the UDP and Cirque Dinner was included free the first night.

NCL has decided as of July 3rd that is no longer included.

Maybe I should have only given you a nickel or a dime for that clue

SMH

Unlike you, I don't get all panicky over easily avoidable nickel and dime ploys. I come in with my credit card, buy my one or 4 drinks per day and whatever else while enjoying my trip. They cruise line doesn't put a gun to my head to make be buy dining / spa/ drink packages unlike you, where it seems they do.:rolleyes:

What most fail to take into account is this: Folks get all up in arms because of changes after they have booked their cruise. They want "grandfathered" in. But most of the things that they are complaining about are not things that are actually part of the cruise contract/agreement they have entered into. Nowhere in the contract does it say, for example, "You will get free room service" or "there wont' be an 18 percent gratuity added." Those things may be IMPLIED based on what is happening on the ship at the time you make your plans, but they are not guaranteed in the agreement.

The McDonalds analogy someone made earlier is interesting, but also inaccurate because it doesn't take into account the time between when you place an order (or purchase a cruise) and the time when you receive the food (or board the ship). For it to be accurate, you would have to order your hamburger months or even a year or more in advance, and come back to pick it up at a much latter date.

Someone mentioned that the total price of their vacation had gone up 20 percent thanks to these changes. That seems... pretty hard to believe. Not saying it's not true, simply a bit skeptical.

In any case, the bottom line is that nobody forces anyone to go on a cruise. And once on board, nobody forces anybody to partake in anything they don't want to partake in. Don't like the $8 fee for room service? There are certainly plenty of free options available. Don't like that they're now adding a gratuity to the UDP? Don't buy the UDP.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that I don't let the little things bother me. Do the changes thrill me? Of course not. But I'm also not gonna get so worked up about it that I start having arguments on message boards or trying to start a revolution. LOL. At that point, the vacation stopped being fun and I might as well just stay home.

Richard/Tralfie

Folks, we need to draw a distinction between raising prices for things already priced (e.g. booze); and removing things which were advertised as free or adding 'convenience charges' to things that did not previously attract them.

To continue the Disney analogy - if they state that the "Ride of Doom" is included in your AI cost and then you arrive and find it is not included, it is an extra charge; that would constitute an offence under most consumer protection laws and a breach of contract at the very least. Their only defence might be 'force majeure' - the ride is unsafe or unserviceable so could not be provided at all.

There is no offence or breach of contract for price increases unless they advertised the price of booze at the time of making the contract and they were included as a term of that contract.

Unlike you, I don't get all panicky over easily avoidable nickel and dime ploys. I come in with my credit card, buy my one or 4 drinks per day and whatever else while enjoying my trip. They cruise line doesn't put a gun to my head to make be buy dining / spa/ drink packages unlike you, where it seems they do.:rolleyes:

Hahaha the funny thing is I am a CAS player who stays in suites, anything I buy onboard is wiped out at the end of my cruise anyway.

But I will not have people like you providing false information to other people just to keep your post count up.

What most fail to take into account is this: Folks get all up in arms because of changes after they have booked their cruise. They want "grandfathered" in. But most of the things that they are complaining about are not things that are actually part of the cruise contract/agreement they have entered into. Nowhere in the contract does it say, for example, "You will get free room service" or "there wont' be an 18 percent gratuity added." Those things may be IMPLIED based on what is happening on the ship at the time you make your plans, but they are not guaranteed in the agreement.

The McDonalds analogy someone made earlier is interesting, but also inaccurate because it doesn't take into account the time between when you place an order (or purchase a cruise) and the time when you receive the food (or board the ship). For it to be accurate, you would have to order your hamburger months or even a year or more in advance, and come back to pick it up at a much latter date.

Someone mentioned that the total price of their vacation had gone up 20 percent thanks to these changes. That seems... pretty hard to believe. Not saying it's not true, simply a bit skeptical.

In any case, the bottom line is that nobody forces anyone to go on a cruise. And once on board, nobody forces anybody to partake in anything they don't want to partake in. Don't like the $8 fee for room service? There are certainly plenty of free options available. Don't like that they're now adding a gratuity to the UDP? Don't buy the UDP.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that I don't let the little things bother me. Do the changes thrill me? Of course not. But I'm also not gonna get so worked up about it that I start having arguments on message boards or trying to start a revolution. LOL. At that point, the vacation stopped being fun and I might as well just stay home.

Richard/Tralfie

Long time no see your name, How are ya?

They didn't have to because in the contract it states they can make changes whenever they want - Always read the fine print, they don't have to announce anything, but it would be nice of them to do so.

I keep hearing about this "change whatever they want clause" in the contract and have yet to find it... can you please direct me to it?

Correct. The contract is for passage, everything else is at the discretion of the cruise line.

Folks, we need to draw a distinction between raising prices for things already priced (e.g. booze); and removing things which were advertised as free or adding 'convenience charges' to things that did not previously attract them.

To continue the Disney analogy - if they state that the "Ride of Doom" is included in your AI cost and then you arrive and find it is not included, it is an extra charge; that would constitute an offence under most consumer protection laws and a breach of contract at the very least. Their only defence might be 'force majeure' - the ride is unsafe or unserviceable so could not be provided at all.

There is no offence or breach of contract for price increases unless they advertised the price of booze at the time of making the contract and they were included as a term of that contract.

I was talking about the fact that the UDP/promo included the Cirque dinner free the first night.

NCL did take that away and most won't realize it until they are 90 days out and try to book it, Unless they read these boards.

As seen below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

Unfortunately, for some people they think NCL owes them the world and more when they don't. When they realize that NCL is no better than other cruise lines and even other types of businesses when it comes to making profits / saving money - then they will have an epiphany; which is sadly never going to happen especially on this board......

I don't expect the world....I expect if I book a cruise based on a promotion that the promo be honored as advertised when booked. Other than that I get they are a business.

I can confirm that the restaurants are no longer allowing take out food. We just got off the Getaway, with our toddler. We often had to go back to the room for nap time or bed time, and the only place that we were able to take food from was the buffet. I'd guess it's to force you to use the paid room service. We did once, but the choices were limited and didn't hold up great if you didn't eat it the second it was delivered. Would have been nice to have more or varied options if we're going to be stuck using room service. That was a major disappointment. But I'm sure we're in the minority to be affected by it.

I was talking about the fact that the UDP/promo included the Cirque dinner free the first night.

NCL did take that away and most won't realize it until they are 90 days out and try to book it, Unless they read these boards.

As seen below.

Totally agree with this and I will probably bring it up to the Concierge when I go in August as it was part of my package when I booked.

As seen below.

Fair point, probably legally questionable then - whether it is worth litigating or complaining to the relevant authorities is, unfortunately, another question entirely.:mad:

Exactly. The complaints I have seen are regarding the latter - removing things which were advertised as free or adding 'convenience charges' to things that did not previously attract them.

I seem to recall someone posting something from NCL stating that room service was included in fare. Was it a prior version of the contract? An FAQ? I don't recall? Maybe someone else does?

And when I purchased my UDP in February, free dinner show on the first night was listed - by NCL - as being included.

Test run is not change. There is a subtle difference.

Not to those who were subjected to the (no notice) test! If they had cancelled those charges at the end of the cruise (which they did not as far as we know), then it could have been argued that it was a 'blind test' to gauge customer reaction/take-up.

Using your customers as guinea-pigs in a test is a dubious business strategy at best. If I had been one of those guinea-pigs I would have been seriously pissed at them.:mad:

Unfortunately some of today's newer or younger cruisers, notably under age 40, do not believe a company must honor their advertisements.

All companies have boilerplate disclaimers on liability or performance, however none of that absolves them from providing what is agreed at time of deposit. And you don't find too many companies making rapidfire unpopular changes and hiding behind some contract weasel wording.

Worse, any attempt to draw similarities or analogies to other instances, ostensibly to make a point, is met with "that's not precisely identically the same thing so not a valid comparison. "

I feel bad for a generation that says "the rule makers say they are allowed to screw us. So when they screws us, we aren't allowed to be upset."

I believe in honoring the terms booked under and getting the value for dollar advertised to me. But hey, apparently that's just crazy talk these days.

What the OP fails to comprehend is that is has nothing at all do with the money, and everything to do with the way NCL has gone about these changes.

I agree that they went about it the wrong way. I've also heard that the prices for the cruises in general are going up

I don't expect the world....I expect if I book a cruise based on a promotion that the promo be honored as advertised when booked. Other than that I get they are a business.

Sounds right to me ;) (but I would also add that I would appreciate it if NCL would let booked PAX know (as a courtesy) when they do make major changes ie increase DSC, etc. Communication would avoid lots of problems! )

Yes, I love when those that claim they been sailing for X number of years gloss over that glaring fact about the contract (if they bother to read it at all).

There you go again about the contract that you claim includes a "change whatever they want clause" ... yet you refuse to direct us to this clause.

Why exactly is that?

If you think it's such an important thing for us all to know, share it with us!

The exact part of the contract that states that they can "change whatever they want."

And go!

There you go again about the contract that you claim includes a "change whatever they want clause" ... yet you refuse to direct us to this clause.

Why exactly is that?

If you think it's such an important thing for us all to know, share it with us!

The exact part of the contract that states that they can "change whatever they want."

And go!

From a UK/European perspective - a contract term that is unfair, unconscionable, tries to avoid a statutory liability or is illegal is void.

In layman's terms - a company can write whatever they like into a contract. The legislation and the courts can disregard those terms in certain circumstances.

Statements that the contract is all-encompassing and is the last word are just plain wrong.