Tipping for Room Service

petnumber1

That is not true:

According to the HAL house rules booklet given to all employees, if you leave 100% of the Hotel Service Charge in place, any extra you give to the employees who have made your cruise so wonderful they are able to keep.. If you remove or reduce the Hotel Service charge they are required to give any extra you give them to their Supervisor..

This is the Quote from the Employee House rules Booklet:

Quote http://www.welcome2hal.com/publications/house_rules.pdf

Quote TIPPING NOT REQUIRED POLICY

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which

consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service

Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan

and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee

is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head

so the money can be added to the RfE plan. Any “tips”

received above and beyond the guests standard amount

may be kept by the crewmember. Unquote

However, some employees elect to pool their extra tips, but IMO that is their own decision to make.. We normally give the employee a thank you note in addition to an extra cash tip.. What he/she wants to do with that tip should not be a concern of ours..

As I mentioned in my previous post, the info I posted is 10 years old & I do not know if it is still relevant.. However I've just read a great deal of John Heald's blog & I can't find any of the info you say he posted... Would you be kind enough to give us both the URL & quote the part of his blog where you state that the $2.00 bill is OK to give to Carnival's & HAL's Stewards..

Thanks..Have a nice day

So...just for argument sake. Say a person tips cash throughout the cruise like most of you suggest. $5 to room service, $3 for the bartender every drink, few dollars to the guy with the onesie fixing the air conditioning vent, who ever. Then at the end of the cruise said person removes the auto gratuity. Do they confiscate the funds that had been previously tipped? How would they know who that was and is there a tip log that the crew must report in each and every tip. They must have a log of the tips according to many posts here. There would be NO WAY to pool the tips if they don't know who they are from. Personally, I think they pool them all.

So...just for argument sake. Say a person tips cash throughout the cruise like most of you suggest. $5 to room service, $3 for the bartender every drink, few dollars to the guy with the onesie fixing the air conditioning vent, who ever. Then at the end of the cruise said person removes the auto gratuity. Do they confiscate the funds that had been previously tipped? How would they know who that was and is there a tip log that the crew must report in each and every tip. They must have a log of the tips according to many posts here. There would be NO WAY to pool the tips if they don't know who they are from. Personally, I think they pool them all.

You can think what you want. They do not pool them. I have asked. if they did, I would just increase my HSC. The purpose of the tips is to thank the individual that helped to make the cruise special and provided the service worthy of the additional tip.

Edited by kazu

You can think what you want. They do not pool them. I have asked. if they did, I would just increase my HSC. The purpose of the tips is to thank the individual that helped to make the cruise special and provided the service worthy of the additional tip.

I do think what I want, thank you. Still, there is no way to have the double standard that is in circulation on CC. Tips are pooled if auto tips are removed, but not pooled if they are left in place. There is no was to regulate this unless all tips are recorded. Do you agree?

So...just for argument sake. Say a person tips cash throughout the cruise like most of you suggest. $5 to room service, $3 for the bartender every drink, few dollars to the guy with the onesie fixing the air conditioning vent, who ever.
You should leave bartenders and bar stewards out of the picture, as they are not part of the HSC pool. I have seen cash tips given to bartenders and servers in a Crow's Nest being tossed into a common jar, but I don't know whether that pool is split among just among the staff at that location for just that shift or tossed into the ship-wide bar staff pool. I have no evidence of how it is done, but IMO it would be more fair to those assigned to less lucrative venues if the jar money was added to the ship-wide pool.

As far as the miscellaneous tips that a carpet sweeper or lavatory cleaner etc may be given throughout the week, I believe there is no attempt to keep track of them and force them to be pooled. HAL's rule about pooling cash received from HSC-removers is really only aimed at the MDR and cabin stewards who are the most likely to be given a large amount at cruise-end. I believe that everyone else is allowed to keep their cash, although there may be some voluntary sharing, for example between room service delivery stewards and galley staff making the food for them.

One simple answer to your point would be all tips they receive throughout the cruise are to be set aside by them, list made from whom and how much they received. If, at the end of the cruise they are advised someone who tipped them removed Hotel Service Charge from their account those tips would be put into the pool.

One simple answer to your point would be all tips they receive throughout the cruise are to be set aside by them, list made from whom and how much they received.
But in many cases the recipient may have no idea who the donor is. My DW likes to give surprise cash to someone just polishing brass, or someone she sees doing something nice for another passenger, etc.

Edited by jtl513

I do think what I want, thank you. Still, there is no way to have the double standard that is in circulation on CC. Tips are pooled if auto tips are removed, but not pooled if they are left in place. There is no was to regulate this unless all tips are recorded. Do you agree?

Sorry, I don't agree. There is a listing posted of the cabins that have deleted the hsc or reduced it. It's been seen by CC members and is a well known fact. I suspect that's why some wait until the last night to remove them :mad:The cabin stewards and MDR staff know who they are and know that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't turn them in to the pool. do you think they are really going to risk their jobs for a few $$???? I don't ;)

Edited by kazu

I suspect that's why some wait until the last night to remove them :mad:
Actually HAL says:

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage.

IMO it would be better if they had to be removed within 24 hours of each instance of alleged bad sevice so that the cheapskates who are just trying to pay less than the HSC would have to make multiple trips to the front desk to duck them all.

Edited by jtl513

Actually HAL states that they may only be removed at the end of a cruise or segment.

IMO it would be better if the had to be removed within 24 hours of each instance of alleged bad sevice so that the cheapskates who are just trying to pay less than the HSC would have to make multiple trips to the front desk to duck them all.

ha! ha! now you know I haven't removed the hsc :p I didn't realize they had to wait until the last night. I never looked up the rule.

I love your idea that they would have to be removed within 24 hours of each alleged bad service incident.

I've never heard anyone say they had bad service when I have overheard someone at the front desk. Just....I want to remove the HSC. Now, admittedly, I didn't hang around and listen.

I never looked up the rule. .... Just....I want to remove the HSC.

I edited my post to show the exact phrase. It makes very clear that the only legitimate reason for removing the HSC is that you didn't get satisfactory service, not just "I don't believe in it" or "I want to tip directly". Unfortunately, HAL doesn't require the person to specify exactly what was bad about the service ... or at least they didn't the one time I eavesdropped on a conversation at the front desk. ;)

I edited my post to show the exact phrase. It makes very clear that the only legitimate reason for removing the HSC is that you didn't get satisfactory service, not just "I don't believe in it" or "I want to tip directly". Unfortunately, HAL doesn't require the person to specify exactly what was bad about the service ... or at least they didn't the one time I eavesdropped on a conversation at the front desk. ;)

Good information, thanks.

On our last cruise, as I was waiting for DH who was getting some large bills broken for tips, I overheard a couple arguing with the front desk. They wanted to remove their HSC because they had "tipped Pinnacle staff directly".....I don't know how it turned out, I hope they didn't get their wish.

No need to edit - I didn't doubt you in the least.;)

I did hear someone in a Neptune Suite once say to the concierge on the morning of disembarkation. I need to remove that - I take care of my people on my own. I literally cringed. I didn't hear the concierge ask why or what was wrong. I got out of there before he could see he look on my face.

No need to edit - I didn't doubt you in the least.;)

I did hear someone in a Neptune Suite once say to the concierge on the morning of disembarkation. I need to remove that - I take care of my people on my own. I literally cringed. I didn't hear the concierge ask why or what was wrong. I got out of there before he could see he look on my face.

You have been trained to cringe by someone or something. You don't have all the information. What if the person saying "I take care of that on my own" tipped 4x the recommend amount in cash to the staff around the ship. Wouldn't that be a better situation for the staff?

You have been trained to cringe by someone or something. You don't have all the information. What if the person saying "I take care of that on my own" tipped 4x the recommend amount in cash to the staff around the ship. Wouldn't that be a better situation for the staff?

I have more information that necessary. I just didn't elaborate, but since you think I cringe - and I did because.... I saw the look on the concierge's face. I saw the look on the steward's face. I saw the steward thank us profusely for our additional tip and just do a quiet thank you to him.

It doesn't take rocket science to read faces.

I did run into him later and he told me proudly that he was so generous as he had tipped the stewards $80 and the concierges $25. It was a 30 day cruise. Daily fee is $12 pp. You do the math. They got less than if he had left the hsc in place.

It was NOT a better situation for the staff. I guess you are an optimist. I usually am, but experience has shown that those that remove the hsc do not compensate at the rate of 4x. sorry.

Just my experience and if you want to hear more, I've heard people mad that when the hsc is removed it won't show until the morning. They wanted to spend that money in the shops!

For me personally, the best thing to do is to leave the hsc in place, increase it if you are so inclined or tip additionally to those who deserve it and know that the money stays with them. JMHO though.

I have no time for those that cheat the staff. Sorry. I don't want to be flamed, but that is how I feel.

The HSC is a part of the cruising cost. It's clearly outlined and if you don't want to pay it, then maybe you should be doing a different vacation.

Edited by kazu

I overheard one of those conversations too :( Apparently an empty ketchup bottle one morning in the Lido is sufficient reason to reduce the HSC to 25% of the standard amount :eek: :rolleyes:

The HSC is a part of the cruising cost. It's clearly outlined and if you don't want to pay it, then maybe you should be doing a different vacation.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

>SNIP<

Personally, I think they pool them all.

Feel free to think what you want. What I know is that once I hand over a cash gift to someone, what they do with it is no longer any of my business. We keep the HSC in place, and often give a cash gift to a few crew members at the end of the cruise. If that crew member has arranged with other crew members that they will pool any cash gifts, that is not my concern or any of my business. A gift is a gift and I have no right to have input into its use, once it is given.

But in many cases the recipient may have no idea who the donor is. My DW likes to give surprise cash to someone just polishing brass, or someone she sees doing something nice for another passenger, etc.

We can analyze and twist and dissect the methods for keeping track but I'm sure after all these years, they have figured out a system that works for them.

I, too, have handed tips to housekeeping staff cleaning the banisters or polishing brass or vacuuming the stairs..... I think lots of us do that. :) Those are the crew members that are the most surprised when they are thanked and their smiles are so beautiful.

What if the person saying "I take care of that on my own" tipped 4x the recommend amount in cash to the staff around the ship. Wouldn't that be a better situation for the staff?
No it wouldn't. It would be far better to leave the HSC in place and then hand out 3X extra to those who gave special service.

(1) I HIGHLY doubt that anyone removing the HSC hands out even the same amount, never mind more. What would be the point of removing it otherwise?

(2) No one behind they scenes would get any of that cash handed out. They rely on that money too.

(3) Even if the pax do hand out more, at least the cabin and MDR stewards would have to put it in the pool, and end up with less than they deserve.

(4) The HSC is NOT a tip. It is a CHARGE for services provided to you. It is the major part of the PAY for most of the Hotel Department crew.

Edited by jtl513

I got seriously flamed once for saying there is a special place in Hell reserved for people who stiff the staff of their tips----so I won't say that; I will just think it.

For me personally, the best thing to do is to leave the hsc in place, increase it if you are so inclined or tip additionally to those who deserve it and know that the money stays with them. JMHO though.

I have no time for those that cheat the staff. Sorry. I don't want to be flamed, but that is how I feel.

No flaming here kazu, I agree with you whole heartedly. We would feel as though we were cheating the people who work hard making our cruise enjoyable if we didn't tip, let alone remove the HSC. We also consider it part of the cost of taking a cruise. I know a lot of these cruise crew members are not just working to support themselves but they are also taking care of people back home. That's not the reason we tip, but to us that and receiving good service is a very strong incentive to compensate people fairly. I'm not meaning to lecture anyone, as usual it's a personal choice, and YMMV. :)

Lorie