Changes to Oceania entertainment

edgee

I read in a recent review that O class ship entertainment by Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers is coming to an end and changes/enhancements to entertainment are occurring as part of NCL takeover. Can anyone confirm this and offer any details especially about timing?

It's true.

They last performed on our MIA-MIA cruise on the Riviera in March and were absent on the TA cruise in April. The new entertainment staff was to start after Riviera's dry dock.

I have not read any reviews of the new entertainment as yet.

I read in a recent review that O class ship entertainment by Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers is coming to an end and changes/enhancements to entertainment are occurring as part of NCL takeover. Can anyone confirm this and offer any details especially about timing?

I did not know that they had any entertainment compared to the other cruise ships? :confused:

When?

Will there be any production shows for the Marina crossing next week?

Lyn

JAR singers & dancers performed Backstage Pass, Broadway musicals last night on Marina. Very well done. I have no idea when they will leave the ship, if I see someone who might know I will ask and let you know. It's too bad JAR are leaving they were very good.

Debbie

On our Regatta cruise, just ending, there has been the pianist (in Martinis, mostly); string quartet; 4 young singers who do evening shows and are termed the "Regatta Singers"; a magician who was here for part of the cruise, and a singer who joined us mid cruise, and does a Sinatra-y style of show.

I really can't imagine "production" shows on O - the venue just isn't there.there is no facility for a lot of staging. But I am guessing that.

Donna

Who doesn't go to shows, just knows what is listed in Daily Currents.

JAR singers & dancers performed Backstage Pass, Broadway musicals last night on Marina. Very well done. I have no idea when they will leave the ship, if I see someone who might know I will ask and let you know. It's too bad JAR are leaving they were very good.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie

Maybe the CD will know if they are leaving before the next cruise or not

The left Riviera before her crossing

See you soon

Lyn

On our Regatta cruise, just ending, there has been the pianist (in Martinis, mostly); string quartet; 4 young singers who do evening shows and are termed the "Regatta Singers"; a magician who was here for part of the cruise, and a singer who joined us mid cruise, and does a Sinatra-y style of show.

I really can't imagine "production" shows on O - the venue just isn't there.there is no facility for a lot of staging. But I am guessing that.

Donna

Who doesn't go to shows, just knows what is listed in Daily Currents.

Maybe the Regatta Singers are the new " in house entertainment " instead of the JAR group

Oceania has always had musical type shows with singers & dancers of course not like the larger cruise lines as well as the solo performers like magicians, etc..

I do not think we will see The Blue Man group on Oceania ;)

Thanks Debbie

Maybe the CD will know if they are leaving before the next cruise or not

The left Riviera before her crossing

See you soon

Lyn

I asked one of the vocalists and he said this cast has been on Marina for 6 weeks already and will leave in Southampton. He said they would be replaced there by another JAR cast and JAR would be on Marina until next summer when the contract ends. He acted like it was iffy after that and an unknown.

See you soon, Debbie

It seems strange to me that Marina should be that different from Riviera (where JAR definitely left). Unless they are using Riviera as a "pilot" program for new NCL entertainment; or perhaps the Riviera's JAR contract expired sooner than Marina's?

Maybe the Regatta Singers are the new " in house entertainment " instead of the JAR group

Oceania has always had musical type shows with singers & dancers of course not like the larger cruise lines as well as the solo performers like magicians, etc..

I do not think we will see The Blue Man group on Oceania ;)

LOL..I hope not!!

Jancruz1

It seems strange to me that Marina should be that different from Riviera (where JAR definitely left). Unless they are using Riviera as a "pilot" program for new NCL entertainment; or perhaps the Riviera's JAR contract expired sooner than Marina's?

I will try and check next week..whats happening and when!

Jancruz1

I think they've always had staggered contracts on the different ships. Riviera sailed from her beginning with Jean Ann Ryan, while Marina and the "R" ships had Gary Musick Productions. I believe Marina was the next to add JAR when the GM contract expired. Therefore, Riviera's contract would expire before Marina.

I believe it's the intention to eventually use the NCL production groups on all NCLH ships; that's part of the "synergies" they are experiencing. It's not a bad thing; NCL used JAR for years before successfully creating their own in-house production group. It happened when they had reached a certain economy of scale, and that economy will now spread to Oceania and Regent.

People have been saying (I believe erroneously) that Oceania has worse entertainment than other cruise lines; NCL has been used as an example of great entertainment. So, how can we go wrong?

Don & Jan - thank you.

I know that many here do not care for O's entertainment but we have always enjoyed it and DW would NEVER miss a show (I occasionally would - especially on a B2B :))

I don't compare it to Broadway or West End any more than I would compare O's food to French Laundry (and others) - that would not be apples to apples and thus would not be fair. That to me does not mean that either the food or the entertainment on O is not good - it just is not the same as the best ones on land (for obvious reasons). I judge them on their own merit and consider the circumstances.

YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili