Tipping the Cabin Steward

petnumber1

The cabin stewards have 30 cabins but there are two of them that do the 30 cabins.

They each get their own tip. The head guy was 3-3.50 pp p day and his assistant was about 2pp per day...so the head steward pay is what I calculated .....the assistant is about 1/2 of that .....

32 rooms means the head steward is grossing $1500 a week....
You're about 35% high.

Of the $11.50 or $12/p/d HSC, your cabin steward team of two gets about 35%, your MDR steward team gets about 35%, and the "back of the house" gets 30%. The actual amount each steward gets depends on seniority, but the average team gets about $4/passenger/day. If all of their cabins have 2 passengers, $8 times 32 is $256/day, $1792/week ... $896 per man.

Since they work about 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, it comes out to around $10/hour.

Edited by jtl513

They each get their own tip. The head guy was 3-3.50 pp p day and his assistant was about 2pp per day...so the head steward pay is what I calculated .....the assistant is about 1/2 of that .....

That doesn't sound right to me. I thought it was the $3.50 between them. Some of that hsc also goes to the MDR staff. I could be wrong but that amount sounds high to me. Do you have the breakdown of the $11.50 or $12 for suites? It's been a while since I've seen it. Thx.

Edited to say that jtl posted the breakdown since I replied.

Edited by cruz chic

You're about 35% high.

Of the $11.50 or $12/p/d HSC, your cabin steward team of two gets about 35%, your MDR steward team gets about 35%, and the "back of the house" gets 30%. The actual amount each steward gets depends on seniority, but the average team gets about $4/passenger/day. If all of their cabins have 2 passengers, $8 times 32 is $256/day, $1792/week ... $896 per man.

Thanks for the info!!

I couldn't find anything on the new guideline split policy. So I went based on "back in the day". Where did you find the split percentages?

Do you know if they get charged for personal laundry or food? I thought that was all part of their comp....but I could be wrong.

Does the team split equally? Or dies the senior guy get way more?

Not sure which figure you are curious about so here is the derivation for all of them.

Old school tipping guidelines was $3-$3:50 per person per day (double that per cabin or $6-$7 per day per cabin) for the steward or $42-$49 per cabin per week . An earlier poster told me a steward has 32 cabins. 32 cabins times $49 per cabin times 32 weeks is a little over $50'K. Tipping $20 extra: $20 times 32 cabins is over $600.

U.S. Military pay is public knowledge and can be found here. http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/calc/index.html. I forget to add in sea pay for the sailor...that would be another $400 a month. There are a few other nuances with military pay, but the calculator linked is pretty close.

I was in the navy so I know how long we worked .....that part is from personal knowledge.

Sorry. It was the $1,500 per week. If you have 2 cabin stewards working 32 cabins, the total HSC at double occupancy is $4,704 ($10.50 per person, times 7 days in a week, multiplied by 32 cabins - x2 people in a cabin.) If each cabin steward gets $1,500, that only leaves $1,704 for everyone else.

That's the kind of math I'm seeking. (I also assume that you are using a base # of 30 for cabins. Otherwise there's some weird fractions in the calculation.)

Where did you find the split percentages?

Does the team split equally? Or dies the senior guy get way more?

Those are ballpark numbers that have been cited by many CD's in disembarkation talks we've attended over many years.

Like any other company, how much any employee makes depends largely on their title and how long they've they've been with the company, so not all head cabin stewards make the same, nor all assistants, nor all MDR waiters and their assistants, etc.

I don't know about food and laundry, but I believe they don't pay either.

Edited by jtl513

There has been only cruise that we did not tip extra. Room stewards were awful. I generally tip them both the same amount. We also tip in the dining room and in the bars where we had very good service. Does not break the bank and show the people who are working so hard that we really appreciate them.

Those are ballpark numbers that have been cited by many CD's in disembarkation talks we've attended over many years.

Like any other company, how much any employee makes depends largely on their title and how long they've they've been with the company, so not all head cabin stewards make the same, nor all assistants, nor all MDR waiters and their assistants, etc.

I don't know about food and laundry, but I believe they don't pay either.

Thanks for the insight!

On our last cruise we had only a single cabin steward, and he had just 9 cabins (two stern corner-wrap suites, the six verandas across the stern, and the last one on one side) so he was only making about $72/day, or $6/hr ... unless he had been on many contracts and was drawing above-average from the HSC money pool.

You're about 35% high.

Since they work about 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, it comes out to around $10/hour.

We were very fond of our cabin stewards on our last cruise. They would see us down the hallway and wave or call out to us to enjoy our day, lunch, dinner, etc. It seemed to us that they worked around the clock, so we asked. One confirmed he worked multiple shifts all day long, and took naps when he could.

So I would like to point out that they do not work a ‘normal’ 12 hour day, where they can head ‘home’ and enjoy their free time until the next day.

On HAL, I do tip based on service and it is always well deserved. It infuriates little meek me when I hear people ask to have the HSC reversed.

So I would like to point out that they do not work a ‘normal’ 12 hour day, where they can head ‘home’ and enjoy their free time until the next day.
Right - they do get break periods, so their work shift is spread out over 14 or 15 hours. Some go ashore on their breaks, but I think a lot of them take naps.

I think one of the reasons that HAL changed from solo stewards covering 15-16 cabins to pairs covering 30-32 is so that they could alternate break times and have someone always in the area of their block of cabins.

Right - they do get break periods, so their work shift is spread out over 14 or 15 hours. Some go ashore on their breaks, but I think a lot of them take naps.

I think one of the reasons that HAL changed from solo stewards covering 15-16 cabins to pairs covering 30-32 is so that they could alternate break times and have someone always in the area of their block of cabins.

That makes sense (working in pairs) - I always wondering why they worked in pairs as in my experience production suffers with pairs working together.

Do you know if they get charged for personal laundry or food?

In this HOUSE_RULES.PDF - click to download page 17 shows

UNIFORM RULES FOR OFFICERS, APPLICABLE PETTY OFFICERS

AND CORPORATE FICERS AND CORPORATE PARTNER STAFF PARTNER STAFF PARTNER STAFF

LAUNDRY

The service clothing and uniforms, as well as private clothing

of Shipboard Personnel will be laundered at Company

expense. Service clothing of all Shipboard Personnel will

be dry-cleaned at the Company’s expense; this includes

tuxedos for men and evening attire for women. Drycleaning

of personal clothing is for personal account. All

laundering and dry cleaning of clothing will be performed

at own risk and responsibility of the owner.

However, on page 19 it states

CREW LAUNDRIES

You are never allowed to use the guest washing machines or

dryers for any reason. There are crew washers and dryers

onboard each vessel. Please be considerate and remove your

laundry from the machine as soon as possible.

So it looks like different rules for officers and non! It doesn't say if the machines are free or coin-op, but my guess is free.

Page 11 states

MEALS, DRINKS & ENTERTAINING GUESTS

Shipboard Personnel with Officer status and Corporate Partner

Staff shall have their meals in the Lido Restaurant.

All meals provided by the ship must be consumed in the

designated area/Messroom. At no time may food be prepared

and/or consumed in your cabin.

Shipboard Personnel with Officer or Petty Officer status and

Corporate Partner Staff will be issued a private account

number for their drinks. When using this charge number in

the Officer’s Bar or Petty Officer’s Bar, they will be charged

the discount Crew rate for drinks. No discount is given on

full bottles of wine, champagne or other liquor.

A 57% discount on tariff pricing shall be applied to beverage

purchases made in the public rooms by deck, engine, hotel,

entertainment and corporate partners, officers and staff. The

following policies apply as per BSC Manual:

So apparently all food is free but drinks are not.

P.S. - There's lots of interesting reading in that document when you've got the time!

Edited by jtl513

We also tipped the musicians in the explorers lounge since we went there every night on our 24day cruise and they made sure to play to songs we requested.

For our room stewards we did use euros or kroners since the ship was returning to Norway and Denmark a few more times. We couldn't use the currency and we hoped that it would save them money by not having to exchange dollars for the other currency.

We had bikes with us and tried to be very careful when wheeling them back into the cabin so as not to track in mud. After a week I has talking the stewards boss man and he said he told our steward to wipe down the bikes every night. I said that was not necessary adding to their chores but he insisted "they are happy to do it". We made sure to be even more careful about not leaving any mud or dirt on the bikes after being in port. That earned them a big thanks and a larger tip at the end of the cruise. I wanted to give them the bikes but we weren't sure they would have had a place to store them.

In this HOUSE_RULES.PDF - click to download page 17 shows

UNIFORM RULES FOR OFFICERS, APPLICABLE PETTY OFFICERS

AND CORPORATE FICERS AND CORPORATE PARTNER STAFF PARTNER STAFF PARTNER STAFF

LAUNDRY

The service clothing and uniforms, as well as private clothing

of Shipboard Personnel will be laundered at Company

expense. Service clothing of all Shipboard Personnel will

be dry-cleaned at the Company’s expense; this includes

tuxedos for men and evening attire for women. Drycleaning

of personal clothing is for personal account. All

laundering and dry cleaning of clothing will be performed

at own risk and responsibility of the owner.

However, on page 19 it states

CREW LAUNDRIES

You are never allowed to use the guest washing machines or

dryers for any reason. There are crew washers and dryers

onboard each vessel. Please be considerate and remove your

laundry from the machine as soon as possible.

So it looks like different rules for officers and non! It doesn't say if the machines are free or coin-op, but my guess is free.

Page 11 states

MEALS, DRINKS & ENTERTAINING GUESTS

Shipboard Personnel with Officer status and Corporate Partner

Staff shall have their meals in the Lido Restaurant.

All meals provided by the ship must be consumed in the

designated area/Messroom. At no time may food be prepared

and/or consumed in your cabin.

Shipboard Personnel with Officer or Petty Officer status and

Corporate Partner Staff will be issued a private account

number for their drinks. When using this charge number in

the Officer’s Bar or Petty Officer’s Bar, they will be charged

the discount Crew rate for drinks. No discount is given on

full bottles of wine, champagne or other liquor.

A 57% discount on tariff pricing shall be applied to beverage

purchases made in the public rooms by deck, engine, hotel,

entertainment and corporate partners, officers and staff. The

following policies apply as per BSC Manual:

So apparently all food is free but drinks are not.

P.S. - There's lots of interesting reading in that document when you've got the time!

Thanks for posting! Fascinating to read

I believe that we were told that two Stewards now maintain about 32 cabins together..:)

Not sure which figure you are curious about so here is the derivation for all of them.

Old school tipping guidelines was $3-$3:50 per person per day (double that per cabin or $6-$7 per day per cabin) for the steward or $42-$49 per cabin per week . An earlier poster told me a steward has 32 cabins. 32 cabins times $49 per cabin times 32 weeks is a little over $50'K. Tipping $20 extra: $20 times 32 cabins is over $600.

U.S. Military pay is public knowledge and can be found here. http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/calc/index.html. I forget to add in sea pay for the sailor...that would be another $400 a month. There are a few other nuances with military pay, but the calculator linked is pretty close.

I was in the navy so I know how long we worked .....that part is from personal knowledge.

UMMMPete & Judy..You misquoted me..Please read my post (see above) again! I said that we were told that TWOStewards now maintain 32 cabins TOGETHER.

Therefore, your figures are way off..If the cabin Stewards receive 35% of our daily 11.50 per day p.p..Each cabin of two is paying $23.00 per day X 7 days is $161.00.. 35% of $161 is $56.35 per week for TWO Stewards..Total for 32 cabins would be approx. $1803 divided by two Stewards is $901.60 per week...That's a far cry from your $1500 estimate per Steward..

We give both Stewards an equal amount as a thank you when our cruise is over.. On longer cruises such as our 68 day one we gave a little every three weeks..Don't believe there is a Head & an Assistant.. We believe that both Stewards have equal. status & work as a team..

There is a Head Housekeeper, as one day we met her at 5: a.m. in the morning when our cabin on one of our cruises, was about 50 degrees per our clock thermometer & we could not get the heat to work.. She saw me bundled up in the hallway on my way down to the front desk & asked if she could help..She came into our cabin, almost froze to death :D & called the techs up immediately.. They were there within 15 minutes & fixed it..

BTW No Crew Member is permitted to work more than 77 hours per week.. We took a behind the scenes galley tour on the Prinsendam & we were told that when we toured the Crew quarters.. If they work 13 hours one day, their hours are adjusted the next day.. The Crew Manager controls that & any time over 11 hours per day must be approved by him, but it always MUST be no more than 77 hours per week..

Edited by serendipity1499

UMMMPete & Judy..You misquoted me..Please read that post again! I said that we were told that TWOStewards now maintain 32 cabins

TOGETHER.

Therefore, your figures are way off..If the cabin Stewards receive 35% of our daily 11.50 per day p.p..Each cabin of two is paying $23.00 per day X 7 days is $161.00.. 35% of $161 is $56.35 per week for TWO Stewards..Total for 32 cabins would be approx. $1803 divided by two Stewards is $901.60 per week...That's a far cry from your $1500 estimate per Steward..

We give both Stewards an equal amount as a thank you when our cruise is over.. On longer cruises such as our 68 day one we gave a little every three weeks..Don't believe there is a Head & an Assistant.. We believe that both Stewards have equal. status & work as a team..

There is a Head Housekeeper, as one day we met her at 5: a.m. in the morning when our cabin on one of our cruises was about 50 degrees per our clock thermometer & we could not get the heat to work.. She saw me bundled up in the hallway on my way down to the front desk & asked if she could help..She came into our cabin, almost froze to death :D & called the techs up immediately.. They were there within 15 minutes & fixed it..

Thanks for clearing that up

This one takes the cake!

That sentiment is an insult to all the wonderful people who like to show their appreciation to the crew by leaving the HSC in place and giving a little extra money to those who work so hard to make their vacation special. If you don't want to tip extra, that is certainly are right but don't try to make yourself feel better for not tipping by calling it a form of control.

Having said that, I realize there's no way you can possibly believe what you wrote, so I'll just leave it there.

Tipping serves the function of signaling one's status. When a customer decides how much to tip, they are controlling how much the employee gets paid. I don't think that is such a controversial idea?

Controlling another person's income is indeed one of the functions served by tipping. It serves many social functions--some prosocial, some mostly selfish--but it is ultimately a social behavior. It is intimately tied up with power and status, and we can't pretend otherwise.

I hope that you do the same as you admonished the person who pointed out the control angle: don't try to make yourself feel like you're better than someone who doesn't tip extra. (I'm not talking about reducing the HSC; I'm talking about extra tipping.) You said that "wonderful" people tip more. Doesn't that imply that not tipping makes you not a wonderful person?

Tipping serves the function of signaling one's status. When a customer decides how much to tip, they are controlling how much the employee gets paid. I don't think that is such a controversial idea?

Controlling another person's income is indeed one of the functions served by tipping. It serves many social functions--some prosocial, some mostly selfish--but it is ultimately a social behavior. It is intimately tied up with power and status, and we can't pretend otherwise.

I hope that you do the same as you admonished the person who pointed out the control angle: don't try to make yourself feel like you're better than someone who doesn't tip extra. (I'm not talking about reducing the HSC; I'm talking about extra tipping.) You said that "wonderful" people tip more. Doesn't that imply that not tipping makes you not a wonderful person?

Actually, what she said was - and I quote - "That sentiment is an insult to all the wonderful people who like to show their appreciation to the crew by leaving the HSC in place and giving a little extra money to those who work so hard to make their vacation special."

In that sentence construction, there's nothing that implies that the quality of wonder comes from tipping. There's also nothing that would imply that the corollary, that people who don't tip are not wonderful. That's a straw man argument.

You'll find this hard to believe, but there are people who tip as a way to express appreciation or gratitude. It's really not about social order, implied power structures, or superiority. It can just be about being nice and thankful. (Please note that no inferences have been made about the people who don't tip.)

Hi y'all :) On two previous cruises, the automatic tipping policy had been implemented, so I didn't give our cabin steward an additional cash tip. On our cruise last year, however, we had a Neptune Suite, and our steward (and his assistant) were so amazing and took such great care of us that I really wanted to reward them, and so we gave them an additional tip.

However, I was (and am) clueless about what is a proper amount. An extra $20? $50? I just don't know. Any guidance?

(If I were rich, I would have thrown the guy at least $100 - he was that wonderful. But I'm not, and we're on a budget, so I'm looking for some "average" amounts. :) )

On previous cruises my wife and have tipped the steward an additional $5/ day for good service.