Del Rio's EXACT comments on the recent Fees and Price Increases

Kenlorz

Here is an informational posts from SuiteTraveler who just got back.

Originally Posted by SuiteTraveler View Post

I just got off the Getaway this morning. There were people all over the ship with food they obviously got in the buffet or at the coffee shop in the atrium or Carlo's Bake Shop and were taking the food to their cabin throughout the cruise. The reason I could tell this was because my cabin was forward, so I saw many of these people in the forward part of the ship and on the forward stairs and elevators. The buffet is aft, so they had brought the food all that way. No, you cannot get a to-go order from any of the restaurants, but if you are eating at a restaurant and need to leave for an unforeseen reason (child, sickness, want to finish dessert but can't) the waitstaff will send the food to your cabin via room service at no extra charge. It comes wrapped with proper plates, cutlery and napkins. In our case, the dessert we were too full to eat was at our cabin in under 5 minutes of our return to the cabin after dinner. We were allowed to take anything in a bottle that we had paid for (sparkling water, wine, etc) with us from any venue back to our cabin. Those are the facts. To me, I don't see this new policy as a problem. Honestly, there was so much food available to us so much of the time, it was completely overwhelming.

Maybe this explains the great perks, free grats, free UDP, free UBP, free OBC that they had during the month of February, March, and April. They new it would get people booking....and would make a good upcoming article! I wonder what sales would have been without these perks running for 3 months. Not saying I'm right....but the thought did cross my mind.

Harriet

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article20412618.html

Del Rio said Norwegian will reinvest $20 million of that money in sales and marketing efforts to drive demand and in improvements to the product on Norwegian Cruise Line ships.

“We do think that the Norwegian brand could improve from where it is today,” he said.

Even without those improvements, he said advance reservations for Norwegian ships are robust, with the booked load factor for 2016 roughly double what it was for 2015 at the same time last year.

“The necessary condition in my view of being able to raise prices and per diems, and therefore yields, is load factor,” Del Rio said. “When you’re as well booked into the future as we are at this point, that bodes very well for constant increases in pricing.”

In a note to investors, Morningstar analyst Jaime Katz noted the strong advance bookings, both for existing Norwegian capacity and for new ships coming to the Norwegian, Oceania and Regent brands.

“All this commentary indicates that close-in inventory should be better positioned this year versus the prior year, alleviating the need to add additional value to the cruising proposition closer in,” she wrote. “Since the Prestige acquisition, we think Norwegian is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the premium market segment, which tends to be more receptive to price increases that are tied to better product, and an improved value proposition.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article20412618.html#storylink=cpy

I just got off the Getaway this morning. There were people all over the ship with food they obviously got in the buffet or at the coffee shop in the atrium or Carlo's Bake Shop and were taking the food to their cabin throughout the cruise. The reason I could tell this was because my cabin was forward, so I saw many of these people in the forward part of the ship and on the forward stairs and elevators. The buffet is aft, so they had brought the food all that way. No, you cannot get a to-go order from any of the restaurants, but if you are eating at a restaurant and need to leave for an unforeseen reason (child, sickness, want to finish dessert but can't) the waitstaff will send the food to your cabin via room service at no extra charge. It comes wrapped with proper plates, cutlery and napkins. In our case, the dessert we were too full to eat was at our cabin in under 5 minutes of our return to the cabin after dinner. We were allowed to take anything in a bottle that we had paid for (sparkling water, wine, etc) with us from any venue back to our cabin. Those are the facts. To me, I don't see this new policy as a problem. Honestly, there was so much food available to us so much of the time, it was completely overwhelming.

Hmmm, I think its expected to take food from Carlos Bake shop or the Atrium Café. They are not sit down restaurants. I don't see how that applies to the new policy.

Hmmm, I think its expected to take food from Carlos Bake shop or the Atrium Café. They are not sit down restaurants. I don't see how that applies to the new policy.
Hmmmm, I see how it applies. Many asked what would happen if they were in the restaurant and their child throws a fit, many asked about taking their dessert back to their cabin, some asked about taking drinks around the ship and SuiteTraveler did notice folks talking food from the buffet.

And thanks to SuiteTraveler for asking some of the questions people had been wondering about. Of course, we don't have the official word from NCL Corporate, so this may change, but at least on her cruise, it didn't seem like the new rules were that bad.

There were people all over the ship with food they obviously got in the buffet or at the coffee shop in the atrium or Carlo's Bake Shop and were taking the food to their cabin throughout the cruise. The reason I could tell this was because my cabin was forward, so I saw many of these people in the forward part of the ship and on the forward stairs and elevators. The buffet is aft, so they had brought the food all that way. No, you cannot get a to-go order from any of the restaurants, but if you are eating at a restaurant and need to leave for an unforeseen reason (child, sickness, want to finish dessert but can't) the waitstaff will send the food to your cabin via room service at no extra charge. It comes wrapped with proper plates, cutlery and napkins. In our case, the dessert we were too full to eat was at our cabin in under 5 minutes of our return to the cabin after dinner. We were allowed to take anything in a bottle that we had paid for (sparkling water, wine, etc) with us from any venue back to our cabin.

Just thought folks would want to see some positive feedback from a recent cruiser.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hmmmm, I see how it applies. Many asked what would happen if they were in the restaurant and their child throws a fit, many asked about taking their dessert back to their cabin, some asked about taking drinks around the ship and SuiteTraveler did notice folks talking food from the buffet.

And thanks to SuiteTraveler for asking some of the questions people had been wondering about. Of course, we don't have the official word from NCL Corporate, so this may change, but at least on her cruise, it didn't seem like the new rules were that bad.

Actually, that was people responding to the cruiser that posted that they were in La Cucina and told they couldn't take their food back to the cabin.

According to Frankie C:

"Just off breakaway this past Sunday. I can confirm that no takeout was allowed from O sheehans. I can also confirm no takeout from speciality restaurant or smaller dining rooms. My son threw a fit in Cucina mid meal so I had to extract him to our room leaving my entree untouched. My wife asked to pack it up and was informed it's an ncl policy that no food is allowed to be taken from dining rooms or restaurants. We had to switch out to finish our meal; they wouldn't budge as it's policy. Also tried at the sushi bar due to similar circumstances, and I was told again that ncl policy is that no takeout from restaurants or dining halls.

No staff seemed to stop food from leaving buffet, which many guests seemed to do throughout the cruise. Also when uptown grill was open you could takeout the burgers in cardboard containers.

Not being able to grab late night snack from O Sheehans was a bummer as I was looking forward to the wings and beer on balcony. "

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Actually, that was people responding to the cruiser that posted that they were in La Cucina and told they couldn't take their food back to the cabin.
Not understanding what you are saying, sorry. SuiteTraveler responded to another poster who had some specific issue examples. SuiteTraveler's posts were from today.

SuiteTraveler's 1st responses was to this poster are in red:

Originally Posted by hpecorari View Post

You keep calling it the 'diet police' which is a little insulting. You have to admit that there really are times that one needs and should leave a restaurant and be able to take their uneaten food with them.

1. Those with kids that act up. I know I don't want to be sitting next to a crying/screaming/moody child when their parents can ask for their food to and return that child to their room.

I am just off Getaway today and asked waitstaff in the past 2 - 3 days how these scenarios you listed would be handled. I was told that this has happened and if this happened, the food would be sent to your cabin via room service for no additional cost.

2. Those that order an app, their meal and are too full to eat their dessert. I do believe, as one is paying for that specialty restaurant....that they should be permitted to take their dessert back to their room.

Again, the food can be sent to your cabin via room service free of charge.

3. Others who may get sick or fall ill while eating.

Once again, the food can be sent to your cabin via room service free of charge.

Harriet

Finally, there is NO issue with the dining venues in regards to getting the rest of your meal sent to your cabin free of charge for all the above reasons. One advantage of it being sent via room service is that the food comes wrapped with the proper plates and utensils and a napkin. I know for certain as we received a dessert in our cabin this way

And then posted this additional post outlining what she found out on the ship: Originally Posted by SuiteTraveler View Post

Edited by NLH Arizona

While it may seem encouraging to see that some people are being treated reasonably on the ships, there have also been several reports of direct conversations with people at corporate who insist that there is a new policy that says passengers are not permitted to take food from restaurants, including the buffet with one exception - eating it on the pool deck.

All this shows is that the ships don't know what the heck is going on either. They are as confused as we are, and based on their previous training they are trying to make decisions on the fly that make sense and lead to customer satisfaction.

Either the ships will be brought into line with the policy or the policy must change. The ships cannot be allowed to simply ignore it.

Edited by old sole

Not understanding what you are saying, sorry. SuiteTraveler responded to another poster who had some specific issue examples. SuiteTraveler's posts were from today.

You keep calling it the 'diet police' which is a little insulting. You have to admit that there really are times that one needs and should leave a restaurant and be able to take their uneaten food with them.

1. Those with kids that act up. I know I don't want to be sitting next to a crying/screaming/moody child when their parents can ask for their food to and return that child to their room.

I am just off Getaway today and asked waitstaff in the past 2 - 3 days how these scenarios you listed would be handled. I was told that this has happened and if this happened, the food would be sent to your cabin via room service for no additional cost.

2. Those that order an app, their meal and are too full to eat their dessert. I do believe, as one is paying for that specialty restaurant....that they should be permitted to take their dessert back to their room.

Harriet

Finally, there is NO issue with the dining venues in regards to getting the rest of your meal sent to your cabin free of charge for all the above reasons. One advantage of it being sent via room service is that the food comes wrapped with the proper plates and utensils and a napkin. I know for certain as we received a dessert in our cabin this way

And then posted this additional post outlining what she found out on the ship: Originally Posted by SuiteTraveler View Post

I posted the quote from the cruiser who was told absolutely no way when his child was acting up, which is why others were commenting about it. Why is it that this one person from the Getaway's story outweighs the one from the Breakaway?

"Just off breakaway this past Sunday. I can confirm that no takeout was allowed from O sheehans. I can also confirm no takeout from speciality restaurant or smaller dining rooms. My son threw a fit in Cucina mid meal so I had to extract him to our room leaving my entree untouched. My wife asked to pack it up and was informed it's an ncl policy that no food is allowed to be taken from dining rooms or restaurants. We had to switch out to finish our meal; they wouldn't budge as it's policy. Also tried at the sushi bar due to similar circumstances, and I was told again that ncl policy is that no takeout from restaurants or dining halls.

No staff seemed to stop food from leaving buffet, which many guests seemed to do throughout the cruise. Also when uptown grill was open you could takeout the burgers in cardboard containers.

Not being able to grab late night snack from O Sheehans was a bummer as I was looking forward to the wings and beer on balcony."

I get being a fan of a cruiseline. I was one for many many years, but I can't pretend that all of these negative changes aren't happening. They are, and it's affecting real people.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

While it may seem encouraging to see that some people are being treated reasonably on the ships, there have also been several reports of direct conversations with people at corporate who insist that there is a new policy that says passengers are not permitted to take food from restaurants, including the buffet with one exception - eating it on the pool deck.

All this shows is that the ships don't know what the heck is going on either. They are as confused as we are, and based on their previous training they are trying to make decisions on the fly that make sense and lead to customer satisfaction.

Either the ships will be brought into line with the policy or the policy must change. The ships cannot be allowed to simply ignore it.

Agreed. The fact that the policy says no to food leaving the restaurants says that the people on the Getaway are likely the ones not following protocol. Sadly.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I posted the quote from the cruiser who was told absolutely no way when his child was acting up, which is why others were commenting about it. Why is it that this one person from the Getaway's story outweighs the one from the Breakaway?

Not being able to grab late night snack from O Sheehans was a bummer as I was looking forward to the wings and beer on balcony."

I get being a fan of a cruiseline. I was one for many many years, but I can't pretend that all of these negative changes aren't happening. They are, and it's affecting real people.

And another poster posted that in fact they said they would box up a meal and deliver it to the cabin at no charge, if they had to leave the restaurant. No one's story outweighs anyone elses. You posted the information from one poster and I posted information from another. Why do you think the post you posted outweighs the one from SuiteTraveler? As I said in one post, even after we get the real deal from NCL, I would guess that the ships will all treat these new policies differently. I guess those that are going on the Breakaway might have different experiences than those on the Getaway. Should I have not posted some positive information from a returning passenger or should we only post negative information?

We are getting all kinds of information and none of us know for sure what will really happen until there is an official notification from NCL.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hmmmm, I see how it applies. Many asked what would happen if they were in the restaurant and their child throws a fit,

This is what I quoted and was responding to. People weren't just generally asking what if my kid threw a fit. People were reacting to the fact that a cruiser had this EXACT situation happen and were told no food back to your room.

This is what I am talking about. I'm all for more information, but honestly a person asking what would happen in this case and then seeing it play out it real life....I give the real situation a bit more weight.

Of course they're going to say they'll give you the world, they've been taught that every single step of their training. The tough part comes when they also have to start enforcing the rules. Bye bye vacation hero.

We're bound to have many real-life recounting of situations in the coming days/months/years. Hopefully NCL will come around and realize what a massive mistake all of this is...and it is a massive mistake.

What arrogance! Very much hoping that Del Rio takes a hike or walks the plank.

Well said, people need to start cancelling in droves. No matter what Del Rio says that will wake NCL up. Money talks.

Edited by knight2096

This is what I quoted and was responding to. People weren't just generally asking what if my kid threw a fit. People were reacting to the fact that a cruiser had this EXACT situation happen and were told no food back to your room.

This is what I am talking about. I'm all for more information, but honestly a person asking what would happen in this case and then seeing it play out it real life....I give the real situation a bit more weight.

Of course they're going to say they'll give you the world, they've been taught that every single step of their training. The tough part comes when they also have to start enforcing the rules. Bye bye vacation hero.

We're bound to have many real-life recounting of situations in the coming days/months/years. Hopefully NCL will come around and realize what a massive mistake all of this is...and it is a massive mistake.

I think it just shows that there could be different outcomes to an issue based on what ship a person is on and if someone is nice enough to take the time while on their vacation to ask that question and others that were asked on here and post them, they should be shared. Sorry, if you disagree. Edited by NLH Arizona

Well said, people need to start cancelling in droves. No matter what Del Rio says that will wake NCL up. Money talks.

Just cancelled, 2 suites and a haven, I don't care how good the deal was when I booked it's not what I'm getting now.

Harriet

That's reasonable.

Just cancelled, 2 suites and a haven, I don't care how good the deal was when I booked it's not what I'm getting now.

You know you just cut off your nose despite your face? Suites are exempt from most of the changes as your butler can bring you any food you like, whenever you like.

Edited by iimmie

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article20412618.html

Del Rio said Norwegian will reinvest $20 million of that money in sales and marketing efforts to drive demand and in improvements to the product on Norwegian Cruise Line ships.

“We do think that the Norwegian brand could improve from where it is today,” he said.

Even without those improvements, he said advance reservations for Norwegian ships are robust, with the booked load factor for 2016 roughly double what it was for 2015 at the same time last year.

“The necessary condition in my view of being able to raise prices and per diems, and therefore yields, is load factor,” Del Rio said. “When you’re as well booked into the future as we are at this point, that bodes very well for constant increases in pricing.”

In a note to investors, Morningstar analyst Jaime Katz noted the strong advance bookings, both for existing Norwegian capacity and for new ships coming to the Norwegian, Oceania and Regent brands.

“All this commentary indicates that close-in inventory should be better positioned this year versus the prior year, alleviating the need to add additional value to the cruising proposition closer in,” she wrote. “Since the Prestige acquisition, we think Norwegian is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the premium market segment, which tends to be more receptive to price increases that are tied to better product, and an improved value proposition.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article20412618.html#storylink=cpy

Yep, it doesn't sound like Del Rio has any plans for moving NCL up on the cruise line food chain

Edited by sparks1093

Once you have the suites selling with UBP, UDP, grats, shore ex & OBC what other value is there to add? You are back to price.

At the bottom end there is no added value cuurently so room there for some incentives over discounts.

Ultimately if you want to get more money you need a better core product.

Whats going to happen when those that bought into the added value of the UDP and paid that higher fare then NCL could not deliver because they could not get into any restaurant?

Ultimately if you want to get more money you need a better core product.

I think ultimately that is Del Rio's goal, especially in light of his comments regarding NCL position to capitalize on the premium market segment. And we argue about changes in room service and food policies- it goes much, much deeper than that.

NLH Arizona,

Thanks for the info! Perhaps with the exception of O'Sheehans, this sounds like it may not be an issue. I'll be on the Getaway in a couple of weeks and will know for certain.

Jason

However, with suites/Haven 99% of the changes won't bother you as you have a butler and don't need room service.

Harriet

We have been cruising now for the past 6 years or so, mostly with NCL...We have never had a suite before, always booked a mini suite, we are looking forward to what a suite has to offer, truth is, we have no idea anymore what having a suite offers...My question is simple; do we not have to use room service and or does everything go "through" the Butler"...???I've been reading these threads and to be honest (we're booked for 2016, booked before the 1 May deadline so we do have the UDP as well as the UBP) At this point I have no idea what to expect...???By using the Butler do we still incur the room service fees...???Perhaps someone might provide some clarity for me as to what I might expect...

Not mad, not angry but I am disappointed in how this all was handled and still being "handled"...

Thanks,

Rob

Folks, you can send all of the letter and emails you want and it won't make a difference for one of two reasons: 1) you haven't sailed since the changes were implemented so your opinion will not matter because you are just speculating or 2) Del Rio has made up his mind which direction he wants to take NCL and will determine that if you are complaining you don't fall into the demographic of a customer he wants to attract.

Del Rio wants to move NCL from a mainstream line in competition with RCI and CCL into an upscale line competing with Celebrity (an Oceania-lite type of cruise line). There is nothing inherently wrong with that from a business standpoint, other than the fact that he is leaving behind a lot of formerly loyal customers.

(And for what it's worth I would not notice a .15 cent increase in a soda unless I was on a back to back when it happened but would certainly notice paying $7.95 for something that used to be free;).)

Great post. On target.

I'm afraid Mr Del Rio is going to find his audience isn't quite as captive as he thinks. When you lack respect for your customer base, it shows and your customers go elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

I actually think a better way to get the $5 per person per day from his passengers would have been to stop allowing water, soda and wine to be carried on the ships and I would think that, even though some would refuse to purchase those items on the ship, enough would to make up for those that wouldn't and he would have done what he was challenged to do.

Just imagine all the complaints. You would hear no end to it. Like "On HAL they let you bring unlimited wine aboard, NCL is so greedy!"

Any change will make some of us happy and some of us mad. Just the way it is.

Hey I cruise suites on NCL today for less overall cash layout than balconies on anyother cruiseline from 12 years ago. I'm happy.