Reviews. Would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?

Not that I am saying that there is something wrong, it's just that I would rather know the truth to save myself from something that wasn't so perfect as someone would say. Like, Yes I was on deck 8 of the Adventure of the Seas... I had a hump cabin and I will never do it again. I had the center cabin and had a fantastic view up and down the ship so why wouldn't I do it again?

1) The vibration ( I guess from the engines?) was unbelievable

2) The sewage smell in the hall and on the balcony

3) Shall we say... happy people getting off the elevators very late at night.

I am not complaining! Really. It's just next time, I will be getting a room closer to the middle of the ship hoping I don't feel as much as a vibration from the engines and further away form the elevators.

This is all stuff I would like to know before I book so that I can prevent unpleasant experiences and enjoy more.

On a more pleasant note, I love the new chairs on the balconies. They are higher on the back and they recline and the table is taller.

So, I believe that a more honest review to help the next person is way better then a rose colored sunglasses is better. What do you guys think?

Each to their own I think.

I have to say I thought the cabanas on the barefoot beach at Labadee must be a bit like the emperors new clothes. People are too embarrassed to say that they spent $XXX to sit in an open beach shed surrounded by other people and so they say they are great.

IMHO, a review that's less than honest doesn't help anyone. That said, it's very difficult to say everything wasn't wonderful without getting your head torn off............

We haven't cruised on the Adventure but have been on the Explorer & Navigator several times & love the hump cabins. Never noticed vibration or noise from happy elevator passengers.

Obviously our opinions differ but, it's not worth fighting about. Unfortunately, not everyone feels that way so post negatives at your own risk.............

I like to read reviews that present both the good and the bad. I also like a little background, because it helps me know if the author's cruise style/likes and dislikes/circumstances can help me make an informed decision.

I'm for just being honest. What one person dislikes, another person likes. It is just the posters opinion of their circumstances anyway, but I still want to hear about it.

It really wouldn't change my mind if I was to be going on the same ship and itinerary as a poster. If they didn't like anything about the ship and destination, I would just as soon form my own opinion. To each, their own. You can't please everyone anyway.

I enjoy reading reviews and seeing pictures. I get to "virtually" cruise on all these ships and see all these destinations that I would never get to see. So, who am I to complain about someone complaining....:p

Happy cruising. ;)

Gwen :)

Actually the only reviews I follow are those that are written in an entertaining way with lots of photos. I've cruised enough that I have my own opinions of the food and service and reading the opinions of others does not really sway my thinking.

I've never done a review because I never encountered anything bad worth mentioning so it would be considered one of those "everything was great" reviews. I guess I have low standards.:D

Or it just means that the things on a cruise that are important to YOU have really been great.:)

Each to their own I think.

I have to say I thought the cabanas on the barefoot beach at Labadee must be a bit like the emperors new clothes. People are too embarrassed to say that they spent $XXX to sit in an open beach shed surrounded by other people and so they say they are great.

I am probably in the minority but I think there is unjustified hype about Labadee. I wouldn't get off the ship again for it and if you do get off the "bar a que" isn't worth staying for - go back to the ship to eat.

I prefer when people give as much information as possible, such as the complaint (or rave review) and then an elaboration of why they felt that way. If someone gives a blanket statement that they like or dislike something without giving a detailed reason why, then it leaves the reader unable to relate to it. If I know more about why you like or dislike something and maybe some background on who you are as a traveler and what your expectations were in comparison to how you felt afterwards, then I'm better able to decide if I am likely to feel similarly or not, and at the very least, can empathize with your feelings regardless of how I feel, because I know why you feel that way. I hate when people give generic "this was great, that sucked" reviews. Someone can say they love the food, but leave out the fact that their usual diet consists of top ramen, or that they hate the food, but don't tell us that it's because at home they have a gourmet French chef who cooks for them. Without background and elaboration, there's no way to give any credence to the opinions.

I personally hate the reviews that go overboard with pictures of themselves and their families, because it's like being invited over to someone's house and having to look through grandmas old slides. A few pictures that are relevant to everyone are interesting; a 5 page review with pictures of everything you ate and all your kids eating ice cream...I stop reading, because it has little relevance to me gathering useful information and just becomes a platform for people who hope someone wants to see all their family photos. I also stop reading the reviews that include the minute by minute play by play of their vacation, including pictures of their every movement from packing to getting to the hotel. I do realize that some people enjoy those, but as soon as I start realizing a review is inching into someone's personal diary and journal complete with what they were thinkig at the time to the jokes they made to the taxi driver etc....puke- I move on, lol.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I am probably in the minority but I think there is unjustified hype about Labadee. I wouldn't get off the ship again for it and if you do get off the "bar a que" isn't worth staying for - go back to the ship to eat.

Thats what I meant. I have never seen a review saying that the cabanas were a waste of money or anyone saying dont get one. But most of them are a garden shed on a very mediocre man made beach. Why would you pay extra for them? It defeated me. There were lost of trees and umbrellas etc . But everyone raves about how great they are- I am sure it is buyer remorse.

Edited by Barnaby100

I try my best to avoid itineraries with Labadee on them. First of all I live on the ocean and don't cruise to go to the beach. I like exploring islands and interacting with the locals so I have no interest in being penned up in a manufactured compound surrounded by a gate with an armed guard.

I do book itineraries that stop there if they are 8 nights or longer as I view Labadee as the trade off for extra time. And it always make me chuckle when someone describes the food there as good.:rolleyes:

I also stop reading the reviews that include the minute by minute play by play of their vacation, including pictures of their every movement from packing to getting to the hotel. I do realize that some people enjoy those, but as soon as I start realizing a review is inching into someone's personal diary and journal complete with what they were thinkig at the time to the jokes they made to the taxi driver etc....puke- I move on, lol.

When a review begins something like..... I got up at 5 AM on the morning of the cruise but let the kids sleep an extra hour while I cooked bacon and eggs and let the dog out to pee..... That is about as far as I get before I close the thread.

I try my best to avoid itineraries with Labadee on them. First of all I live on the ocean and don't cruise to go to the beach. I like exploring islands and interacting with the locals so I have no interest in being penned up in a manufactured compound surrounded by a gate with an armed guard.

I do book itineraries that stop there if they are 8 nights or longer as I view Labadee as the trade off for extra time. And it always make me chuckle when someone describes the food there as good.:rolleyes:

When we were there the gannets dived on the food and it was all gone in a very short time. It was lower quality than a typical Uk school lunch.

We had an over water cabana on Labadee on our Independence cruise a couple of weeks ago. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? We believed so. We had a place to call home for the day and with the Premium Drink Package, pretty good service all day. We could get in and out of the water as we wanted and had a place out of the sun when needed. I thought the Cabana's at Barefoot Beach were better than what we had in the Bahama's a couple of years ago.

Edited by dschultz56

We had an over water cabana on Labadee on our Independence cruise a couple of weeks ago. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? We believed so. We had a place to call home for the day and with the Premium Drink Package, pretty good service all day. We could get in and out of the water as we wanted and had a place out of the sun when needed. I thought the Cabana's at Barefoot Beach were better than what we had in the Bahama's a couple of years ago. Here is a picture of the one we had.

sBqFqZ

And thats great that you enjoyed it. I just cant believe that no-one ever thinks the cabanas are a waste of money. I think partly it seems so competitive to get them that people get distraught over the thought of missing out. Our concierge asked us if we wanted one when he dropped by on the 1st day and seemed very surprised that we said no.

When we were there the gannets dived on the food and it was all gone in a very short time. It was lower quality than a typical Uk school lunch.

One year when I was there a riot almost broke out. When the time came to close the food stations down, instead of letting people who were already in line go through they stopped the line and said they were closing. There were some very unhappy people standing there but the show was very entertaining.:eek:

And I bet those UK school lunches don't typically have flies sampling the food.

Edited by Ocean Boy

And thats great that you enjoyed it. I just cant believe that no-one ever thinks the cabanas are a waste of money. I think partly it seems so competitive to get them that people get distraught over the thought of missing out. Our concierge asked us if we wanted one when he dropped by on the 1st day and seemed very surprised that we said no.

I'd suggest people only book one when they know they will value things like comfortable shade, drink service etc. Thats why we booked one and we loved it. People who, like you, think there are already enough other amenities to satisfy them don't book one, and hence never come back to say they thought it was a waste.

When a review begins something like..... I got up at 5 AM on the morning of the cruise but let the kids sleep an extra hour while I cooked bacon and eggs and let the dog out to pee..... That is about as far as I get before I close the thread.

Haha! Exactly!!!

I don't need to hear about grandpa's hemorrhoids or anything other than the experience ON THE SHIP. Too much superfluous detail is like reading my old teenage diaries. DULL and very self-involved.

IMO, the best reviews are fairly short, concise, stay on point and have just a few pictures so as not to give everything away. I'd lime to hear the perceived good and bad but not everything has to be overly detailed.

Also, as good as a review might be, my interest will wane quickly if there are numerous typos, run-on sentences and long paragraphs.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I enjoy reading reviews that are well balanced and give good details of the good and the bad experiences when it involves a future cruise that I have booked. I always prefer knowing what to expect so I can prepare for it.

Cruising is a great way to travel.

Yes! I've made it through a few of those diary-style "reviews" but now do as you do...close the thread and move on. I prefer those that relay balanced review experiences about the ship, excursion/ports and staff.

I'd suggest people only book one when they know they will value things like comfortable shade, drink service etc. Thats why we booked one and we loved it. People who, like you, think there are already enough other amenities to satisfy them don't book one, and hence never come back to say they thought it was a waste.

We had plenty of shade and a drinks service on the beach?

I really dont like man made beaches anyway as they are so sterile. My husband swam for 1.5 hours in the sea and didn't see a single fish- the only place he can recall in the world that this has been the case. I don't recall reading any reviews that pointed out that it wasn't a natural beach.

On the plus side the water was very clean as you often get boat fuel when swimming just off shore and there wasn't any. The water temp was also quite good- not too warm to swim (but I love the bath like temps of the gulf/arabian sea)

So + and -