Reviews. Would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?

I like the reviews that are more objective than subjective about the cruise experience. Photos are great that actually show what we want to know (the ship, signs, food, menus, drinks, events, views from the ship, destinations at port of calls, etc.).

If something was great, tell us why. If there were issues, tell us more details and what you did to try to get them resolved and the outcome. Something someone absolutely enjoyed could be something I may dislike and an issue one encounters may not be an issue for me.

I agree with the other posters that reviews should exclude family background. Maybe a photo or two of you and your traveling companions at most. Only add more if related to activities, like the Quest or a Dolphin interaction. Don't need to see airport photos, unless from the Southwest Terminal at FLL a photo of an Oasis class ship or something similar.

Pre and/or Post cruise activities are okay to include if kept brief and shows the hotel and/or shore excursion type activities.

I do enjoy the "Live" or just back type of reviews showing the food and sights from the ship and on land.

I think it's better to give an honest review of the good and the bad. There's no need for the set-up question of "would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?" That comes across like prejudging anyone who dares take issue with anything you say as not being interested in the truth.

For what it's worth, I haven't been on the Adventure, but have been on three other Voyager class ships and not noticed any significant vibration, no matter which part of the ship we were on (and we have been on or near the "hump" most times).

I posted a review of our Serenade of the Seas repositioning cruise last month. I shall be the first to admit that it was made up of probably 98% positive comments because we had a great cruise. We are "low maintenance" cruisers and do not look for problems or feel the need to have our backsides kissed.

I did not really list any negatives. I referred to them as "minor annoyances" such as the ship's library being the weakest that I have ever seen on a RCCL ship, the fact that some folks were always complaining in the MDR, and the hour that it took for us to move in a line from aft to forward on the ship to be processed though immigration when we arrived in St. Thomas.

I stand by my final comment of the review. "None of this annoyed us for more than a minute or two and we concentrated on the positives."

Edited by tip

I think it's better to give an honest review of the good and the bad. There's no need for the set-up question of "would you rather hear the truth or how wonderful everything was?" That comes across like prejudging anyone who dares take issue with anything you say as not being interested in the truth.

For what it's worth, I haven't been on the Adventure, but have been on three other Voyager class ships and not noticed any significant vibration, no matter which part of the ship we were on (and we have been on or near the "hump" most times).

Same here. We've been on all of the Voyager class ships, except for Voyager, and never encountered this vibration issue in the hump area. And any noise in the passageway has to be from people in the passageway. It is very hard to hear anything in the elevator alcoves from a cabin.

And thats great that you enjoyed it. I just cant believe that no-one ever thinks the cabanas are a waste of money. I think partly it seems so competitive to get them that people get distraught over the thought of missing out. Our concierge asked us if we wanted one when he dropped by on the 1st day and seemed very surprised that we said no.

I believe you do not hear negative reviews about the cabanas because people know exactly what they are paying for. Some people love them, some don't think they are worth the money. Me, I love them, but I am not heartbroken if they are sold out before I get one. I do like the pampering and being able to snorkel right at the base of the cabana. I will try to get one every chance I get, but I certainly understand people who would never get one.

Who's truth?

LOL. The fact is, one person's "truth" may not be exactly the truth, but their own perception. I read multiple reviews, but do not make decisions based on any one's opinions. What I look for is facts that others have also reported. Other's opinions don't really carry much weight with me because they are just opinions.

While you may be reporting your truth, that doesn't make it accurate.

Edited by BND

Who's truth?

LOL. The fact is, one person's "truth" may not be exactly the truth, but their own perception. I read multiple reviews, but do not make decisions based on any one's opinions. What I look for is facts that others have also reported. Other's opinions don't really carry much weight with me because they are just opinions.

While you may be reporting your truth, that doesn't make it accurate.

Unless we are talking about the color that the ship is painted or whether or not it has a flow rider isn't most of what we talk about here opinion and perception?

Unless we are talking about the color that the ship is painted or whether or not it has a flow rider isn't most of what we talk about here opinion and perception?

I think you missed my point. Most people report their "feelings" not facts which vary from person to person. A fact is that the cost of something has gone up or a show has changed. An opinion is that something costs too much or the show sucked.

My point is, I can't make decisions based on other's perceptions because mine may (and probably are) be entirely different. The worst reviews we read on here are pure opinion pieces and those based on an experience that probably won't ever happen to anyone else.

Your "truth" is yours and may or may not be mine. Reviews are rarely factual. Plus, the OP basically stated the truth is the opposite of how wonderful things are. That's not necessarily right. Some can say that their truth is that things are wonderful.

Edited by BND

I think you missed my point. Most people report their "feelings" not facts which vary from person to person. A fact is that the cost of something has gone up or a show has changed. An opinion is that something costs too much or the show sucked.

My point is, I can't make decisions based on other's perceptions because mine may (and probably are) be entirely different. The worst reviews we read on here are pure opinion pieces and those based on an experience that probably won't ever happen to anyone else.

Your "truth" is yours and may or may not be mine. Reviews are rarely factual.

I don't think that I missed your point. My point is that most of what you read around here must be pretty worthless to you.

I don't think that I missed your point. My point is that most of what you read around here must be pretty worthless to you.

Okay, whatever. That's your "opinion". I've read enough of your posts to know that you like to challenge everyone.

I do not make my decisions based on other's opinions. I make my decisions based on facts and not how much someone else "liked" something.

Edited by BND

I am probably in the minority but I think there is unjustified hype about Labadee. I wouldn't get off the ship again for it and if you do get off the "bar a que" isn't worth staying for - go back to the ship to eat.

I thought Labadee was well constructed and very clean. If you love a beach day, this is for you. If you like the ship mostly empty and quiet, it's a good day to stay on board.

My mother and I got off to walk around and did a bit of shopping just to say we went there. We were both happy to get back on the ship.

Sue

When a review begins something like..... I got up at 5 AM on the morning of the cruise but let the kids sleep an extra hour while I cooked bacon and eggs and let the dog out to pee..... That is about as far as I get before I close the thread.

They say never to assume anything but I think I'm safe on this one. You didn't read this review that's 119 pages.:eek:

http://www.jenscruisereviews.com/Liberty_Review_final1.pdf

I also have you beat. I didn't even read the first sentence when I saw how many pages it was. Saw-wee to the person who wrote it, I just couldn't do it.:D

Same here. We've been on all of the Voyager class ships, except for Voyager, and never encountered this vibration issue in the hump area. And any noise in the passageway has to be from people in the passageway. It is very hard to hear anything in the elevator alcoves from a cabin.

We've done four weeks on the Adventure (two one week trips and a back to back), all in hump cabins, and I will say our cruise in December was the first one where we experienced the vibration. It wasn't subtle, it was a decent vibration that definitely took a little getting used to. It didn't bother us enough to keep us from booking in that area though and we experienced no sewage smell or noise issues.

Not that I am saying that there is something wrong, it's just that I would rather know the truth to save myself from something that wasn't so perfect as someone would say. Like, Yes I was on deck 8 of the Adventure of the Seas... I had a hump cabin and I will never do it again. I had the center cabin and had a fantastic view up and down the ship so why wouldn't I do it again?

1) The vibration ( I guess from the engines?) was unbelievable

2) The sewage smell in the hall and on the balcony

3) Shall we say... happy people getting off the elevators very late at night.

I am not complaining! Really. It's just next time, I will be getting a room closer to the middle of the ship hoping I don't feel as much as a vibration from the engines and further away form the elevators.

This is all stuff I would like to know before I book so that I can prevent unpleasant experiences and enjoy more.

On a more pleasant note, I love the new chairs on the balconies. They are higher on the back and they recline and the table is taller.

So, I believe that a more honest review to help the next person is way better then a rose colored sunglasses is better. What do you guys think?

I like the truth. Good and bad. I see you are sailing the adventure again in 2016. So you will be returning? I'm booked on her for December and was thinking about doing a B2B but am unsure. How did you like the adventure overall?

While of course I would like to read the truth, there is hardly such a thing on the Internet. In other words I don´t believe much that is posted from some unkonwn persons on the Internet, especially if it´s just rose colored good or having phrases like "never again" attached.

Having said this I want to read Reviews and those are usually balanced, otherwise they are nothing but rants.

I don´t see those rants as Reviews even if they are labeled as such and People ranting loose their credibility with me usually right away.

A good Review must have negatives included, but they must be reasonable complaints and some Explanation / back up Needs to be given. Same goes for positives as well.

Each to their own I think.

I have to say I thought the cabanas on the barefoot beach at Labadee must be a bit like the emperors new clothes. People are too embarrassed to say that they spent $XXX to sit in an open beach shed surrounded by other people and so they say they are great.

I think this is one where I'd have to say Don't knock it until you try it....

I'm not embarressed at all to say that I spent $225 to rent a cabana on Labadee. I enjoyed every minute of as you say sitting "in an open beach shed surrounded by other people".

For some, having that small bit of shelter is the difference between enjoying the day on the beach and being miserable. I'm very fair skinned and burn very easily. I don't like being covered in sand and I don't like laying out in the sun baking. When we don't have a cabana I spend no more than 2 hours on the island before wanting to go back to the ship. This past cruise we got a the cabana and I spent the entire day on the island. I was able to go in and out of the water without getting covered in sand. I could get out of the sun complete while enjoying the views. The furniture was much more comfortable than a beach chair and the cabana was fully stocked with towels, and cold water.

I think this is one where I'd have to say Don't knock it until you try it....

I'm not embarressed at all to say that I spent $225 to rent a cabana on Labadee. I enjoyed every minute of as you say sitting "in an open beach shed surrounded by other people".

For some, having that small bit of shelter is the difference between enjoying the day on the beach and being miserable. I'm very fair skinned and burn very easily. I don't like being covered in sand and I don't like laying out in the sun baking. When we don't have a cabana I spend no more than 2 hours on the island before wanting to go back to the ship. This past cruise we got a the cabana and I spent the entire day on the island. I was able to go in and out of the water without getting covered in sand. I could get out of the sun complete while enjoying the views. The furniture was much more comfortable than a beach chair and the cabana was fully stocked with towels, and cold water.

I wish my wife didn't find value in the cabanas. ;) We've done both Labadee Barefoot Beach and Coco Cay.

I have a feeling if we don't get one in Barefoot Beach next month, I will be off to shore excursion the minute I get on ship to try and get a Nellies

Edited by John&LaLa

They say never to assume anything but I think I'm safe on this one. You didn't read this review that's 119 pages.:eek:

http://www.jenscruisereviews.com/Liberty_Review_final1.pdf

I also have you beat. I didn't even read the first sentence when I saw how many pages it was. Saw-wee to the person who wrote it, I just couldn't do it.:D

Whoa! I pretty much gave up just waiting for that thing to down load!

We've done four weeks on the Adventure (two one week trips and a back to back), all in hump cabins, and I will say our cruise in December was the first one where we experienced the vibration. It wasn't subtle, it was a decent vibration that definitely took a little getting used to. It didn't bother us enough to keep us from booking in that area though and we experienced no sewage smell or noise issues.

I wonder if this is the first sign that this will be the next ship we will be reading about with azipod issues??:eek:

I like the truth. Good and bad. I see you are sailing the adventure again in 2016. So you will be returning? I'm booked on her for December and was thinking about doing a B2B but am unsure. How did you like the adventure overall?

It will be the 3rd time on that ship :D I didn't mean to sound like I didn't love it, I guess I was just trying to help the next person by "warning" (using the term lightly) of what I had experienced. As far as the happy people I mentioned getting off the elevators at all hours of the night, that doesn't mean it would happen on every cruise. It is just what I had experienced. My door was right there. Maybe it would help if someone read it and may be a bit quieter for the next people? ;) My cousin was next door and further away from the elevator door and didn't hear much.

We love the port intense itinerary. She ship was very clean and the staff was exceptional. Very polite and happy.

Actually the only reviews I follow are those that are written in an entertaining way with lots of photos. I've cruised enough that I have my own opinions of the food and service and reading the opinions of others does not really sway my thinking.

This sums it up for me. Pictures...I'm in. Lots of boring words with no pictures...I'm out. Guess that puts my maturity level at about 1st grade. :D

I prefer my reviews to be whatever the writer is feeling, whether that's all positive, balanced, or even mostly negative. It's their cruise and this is an open forum, so they can write what they want. It's my choice whether or not I read it and what I choose to take from it. Ignoring pixels on a monitor that are lit up by someone I've never met is easy. I'm usually not in the mood to read anything with constant bickering involved, but occasionally I'll find that entertaining. Kind of in the same way that enough people must apparently enjoy watching privileged women scream at each other for the Housewives of... shows to stay on the air. Fortunately, that seems to happen less in reviews than in threads for a specific topic.

Anything that helps me recall fond memories of cruising is all good!

Any Happy Mother's Day to all of you cruising Mothers!!