Increased costs

roger001

I just thumbed through all the recent stuff about these price increases and service changes. Judging from much of the heated discussion, I was about to panic, figuring our cruising days were about over. I sat down and figured it all out for my cruising situation.

For a 7 day cruise, DSC increase for two guests, $14. The now current 18% service charge for speciality restaurant, assuming we ate at one twice during a cruise, averaging $20 per guest per meal, $14.40. Drink service charge increase by 3%, assuming 3 drinks for each of us per day, average $10 per drink, $1.80. Room service we seldom use. However, nothing has changed from when we do use it. Still have the morning coffee and pastries, and those type food items are still available and for free. Not interested in ordering a full meal. Reference the food restriction now from buffet to rooms, no plates of hot food. Not an issue for us because all that we do usually take, pastries, fruit, etc, all still just fine to take. Not affected otherwise. So, if I've figured this right, on a 7 day cruise for us, which with basic cruise price of around $2500 average maybe, plus an end of cruise statement which for us usually runs $500 or so, or $3000 cruise package price total, these recent increases are going to increase my cost by $30.20. Or another way for me to look at it, one bucket of beer extra cost per cruise.

So, while cruise price monitoring and shopping, all I need to do is realize that the price I end up with, will actually cost me about $30 more than it shows. But...then again....those cruise prices are continually going up and down by several hundred dollars, usually up. The next two we've booked (one was like stealing during the promotions last month), have already gone up a total of $700 since booked. I guess I'll just continue to be a smart shopper, look at the complete picture, and not worry too much about that extra $30.

Glad I actually sat down and figured this out. I feel better. That's how it affects me. Your mileage may vary.

I just thumbed through all the recent stuff about these price increases and service changes. Judging from much of the heated discussion, I was about to panic, figuring our cruising days were about over. I sat down and figured it all out for my cruising situation.

For a 7 day cruise, DSC increase for two guests, $14. The now current 18% service charge for speciality restaurant, assuming we ate at one twice during a cruise, averaging $20 per guest per meal, $14.40. Drink service charge increase by 3%, assuming 3 drinks for each of us per day, average $10 per drink, $1.80. Room service we seldom use. However, nothing has changed from when we do use it. Still have the morning coffee and pastries, and those type food items are still available and for free. Not interested in ordering a full meal. Reference the food restriction now from buffet to rooms, no plates of hot food. Not an issue for us because all that we do usually take, pastries, fruit, etc, all still just fine to take. Not affected otherwise. So, if I've figured this right, on a 7 day cruise for us, which with basic cruise price of around $2500 average maybe, plus an end of cruise statement which for us usually runs $500 or so, or $3000 cruise package price total, these recent increases are going to increase my cost by $30.20. Or another way for me to look at it, one bucket of beer extra cost per cruise.

So, while cruise price monitoring and shopping, all I need to do is realize that the price I end up with, will actually cost me about $30 more than it shows. But...then again....those cruise prices are continually going up and down by several hundred dollars, usually up. The next two we've booked (one was like stealing during the promotions last month), have already gone up a total of $700 since booked. I guess I'll just continue to be a smart shopper, look at the complete picture, and not worry too much about that extra $30.

Glad I actually sat down and figured this out. I feel better. That's how it affects me. Your mileage may vary.

If this was posted on FaceBook, I would have "clicked" on LIKE....

I see it the same way as you do - the various increases is still a very small percentage of the total cruise price.... :)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Most of the increases will not impact us. However, DH has already said he will not pay gratuity twice, so when we eat at one specialty restaurant, he will not pay an additional 18%. The only reason we are eating at one is because we have friends going with us & it's their 1st cruise and they want to eat Teppanyaki, so we said we'd go with them. We normally do not eat at the specialty restaurants.

I will say that this is our first NCL cruise and since we're not cruising until next year, we are waiting to see what's next. We talked last night about all of this and already said that if it gets to bad, we have plenty of time to cancel and go back to RCCL.

The ONLY reason we even booked with NCL was to get the free beverage package. :)

I also told DH about the new policy in regards to not taking food back to your cabin (gave all the specifics). He wanted to know if we are adults going on a cruise or children going back to school with all kinds of stupid rules.:(

His thought process is he is paying for that food and he should have the flexibility to take the food wherever he wants to eat it.

Business rule of thumb....get rid of your 10% bottom feeders....and concentrate on your top 10%.

That's the goal...dump those that complain about a few dollars more for room service etc....and concentrate on those who enjoy spending.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Business rule of thumb....get rid of your 10% bottom feeders....and concentrate on your top 10%.

That's the goal...dump those that complain about a few dollars more for room service etc....and concentrate on those who enjoy spending.

Not sure they want to dump the complainers, but I do believe they want new customers who will spend more onboard the ships. And since NCL is a for profit business, you can't blame them. The one good thing with the changes is that sans the increase in the DSC, no one has to pay them...it is a choice.

Most of the increases will not impact us. However, DH has already said he will not pay gratuity twice, so when we eat at one specialty restaurant, he will not pay an additional 18%. The only reason we are eating at one is because we have friends going with us & it's their 1st cruise and they want to eat Teppanyaki, so we said we'd go with them. We normally do not eat at the specialty restaurants.

I will say that this is our first NCL cruise and since we're not cruising until next year, we are waiting to see what's next. We talked last night about all of this and already said that if it gets to bad, we have plenty of time to cancel and go back to RCCL.

The ONLY reason we even booked with NCL was to get the free beverage package. :)

How are you paying twice? NCL's website clearly states that complimentary restaurant staff gets the DSC, it doesn't say a thing about those that server in the specialty restaurants getting the DSC.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

Not sure they want to dump the complainers, but I do believe they want new customers who will spend more onboard the ships. And since NCL is a for profit business, you can't blame them. The one good thing with the changes is that sans the increase in the DSC, no one has to pay them...it is a choice.

I think the DSC is a choice too...can't people remove them?

What they are looking for isn't necessarily "more upscale"...but not bargain hunters.

Of all these changes....the only one that I have issue with is taking food back to the cabin. Kids, not feeling well etc....then again, if you really need room service a few dollars isn't such a big deal.

How are you paying twice? NCL's website clearly states that complimentary restaurant staff gets the DSC, it doesn't say a thing about those that server in the specialty restaurants getting the DSC.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

I've seen staff working at the free dinning options during the day and specialty restaurants at night so does the staff not get tipped for serving lunch or just dinner? Or will they take the servers who worked both and only have them in one place?

you will always have those who want to bellyache and see the end of the world.

Frankly, I can lose that amount or more in thirty minutes at the slots.

I can loose it in 15

I don't mind paying more onboard but there must be a value added for me to spend that money. Simply increasing the cost or instituting fees where none existed before doesn't add value for me and I will either avoid the fees where possible or spend less.

They also dropped lobster night in the MDR. I asked about the Stroganoff last cruise and noticed it was mushroom instead of beef.

So the tip on a $20 specialty restaurant is $3.60. OOPS I mean a $19.95 new charge.

All of this is very true - for you (and others with similar cruise plans). As for me, none of this will affect my next cruise, as I am in a suite.

However, I don't always book suites and I enjoy taking a complete hot breakfast back to my cabin to eat on the balcony and on sea days I also take a complete hot lunch to enjoy on my balcony.

IF we are no longer allowed to bring these items back to the cabin, then I'll eat them in the buffet. However, that will my enjoyment of the cruise. How do you factor that into your equation? As far as I am concerned, this could subtract several hundred dollars from the value of the cruise.

Thus I'll be monitoring this issue closely, and will factor it into my future cruise decisions.

They also dropped lobster night in the MDR. I asked about the Stroganoff last cruise and noticed it was mushroom instead of beef.

So the tip on a $20 specialty restaurant is $3.60. OOPS I mean a $19.95 new charge.

Many of us already tipped 20% in specialty restaurants.

Thank you for this. Many people here" figured it out" and their cruises went up by hundreds of thousand of dollars and their lives were ruined and they were never sailing NCL again AND it wasnt the price, we can afford anything, the way NCL did it that was devious AND- Del Rio actually IS Satan himself. We saw former NCL cheerleaders degrading NCL cheerleaders...when just months ago those same posters were full of complete snark to any one posting anything anti-NCL. These same people are cancelling cruises or wishing that they could but "uh oh" It is after final/my sister will kill me/I had to use that last FCC.

I understand being disturbed by not being personally informed of changes changes. I DONT understand the hystrionics.

Your post is VERY refreshing. THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by Bettytrouble
forgot an er

Its very simple for NCL to track which employee is working a shift in the MDR and in a specialty and to pay them appropriately from the DSC pool.

I worked in a restaurant where I did multiple jobs. As a waitress, I clocked in under one code and made an hourly wage plus tips, which I needed to report at the end of day. As a hostess, it was a different code, with the same hourly wage but I was included in the tip pool (which is like the DSC where the wait staff had to pay a percentage of their tips into to pay the hostess, busboys, etc). As an office admin, it was a different code with a different hourly wage and no tip pool.

Just because you see the same person in the different restaurants, don't assume they are "double dipping" into the tip pool. Their time in the specialty is more dependent on the gratuities than in the MDR which is part of the DSC.

I've seen staff working at the free dinning options during the day and specialty restaurants at night so does the staff not get tipped for serving lunch or just dinner? Or will they take the servers who worked both and only have them in one place?

The wait staff who work in complimentary restaurants at daytime, and in specialty restaurants in the evenings, only receive a certain percentage of the regular DSC for their work in complimentary restaurants. A person who works only at complimentary restaurants - also at dinner times, receives a certain amount as DSC from the "general DSC pot". A person who works at non-specialty restaurants only for breakfast and lunch, will only receive a partial amount from the DSC-pot - it will be less than the person who also works during dinner time in complimentary restaurants. But then, by working at a specialty restaurant during dinner time, they will (with the 18% auto-gratuity) probably have a total amount paid as DSC or Gratuity per day that is better than the person who "only" works in complimentary restaurants. And when a waiter is moved from a complimentary restaurant to a specialty restaurant, that is actually considered as an advancement or promotion work wise - and should therefore be paid more...

There are not many among the waitstaff who only work at specialty restaurants - except the few who work in the Haven restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch in addition to dinner, or in Cagney's on all the ships who doesn't have a Haven restaurant.

Edited by TrumpyNor

If this was posted on FaceBook, I would have "clicked" on LIKE....

I see it the same way as you do - the various increases is still a very small percentage of the total cruise price.... :)

Both stated very well. By breaking the changes down into costs that will directly effect you as the paying customer, you can see the true cost of the cruise. Before we cruise we always try to add up our complete vacation costs which include: snacks at the airport, parking, airfare, taxi, hotel, meals the day before boarding, drinks at the bar, tips to drivers, porters, etc, CRUISE itself, onboard costs that will show on our card (drinking, tips, dining, small shopping onboard, etc). Only after you make your personalized budget, can you decide if cruising is still a cost-effective option for your vacation time. For some people, maybe other options should be more closely looked into.

I'm growing weary of people who say they are ready to take their cruising money to a different cruiseline, but continue to post on every thread regarding increasing costs/decreasing benefits of NCL. The grass isn't always greener on another cruiseline. Take an hour or so and read what cruisers are saying about THEIR favorite cruiseline. It seems others are complaining about the same subjects as we are, which include: chair hogs, increased cruise fares, lowering quality of service and food, slow service at dinner time. The list goes on.

I will continue to find out the true cost of my cruise beforehand, make a budget so I know what to expect and can save accordingly and be thankfull that I have the economic and physical ability to enjoy traveling. Once cruising on NCL doesn't serve my vacation needs adequately, I will begin my research into something else.

I don't mind paying more onboard but there must be a value added for me to spend that money. Simply increasing the cost or instituting fees where none existed before doesn't add value for me and I will either avoid the fees where possible or spend less.

Aren't there price increases without any added benefit for the consumer in any type of business at times due to inflation? All businesses simply increase cost without adding anything else for the consumer, and/or they make cutbacks to keep prices steady.

The one thing I don't like is that I feel that the way they went about a lot of recent changes was very sneaky. At the very least, when someone calls NCL, the reps should have the most updated information to give.

Edited by bangzoom6877

Aren't there price increases without any added benefit for the consumer in any type of business at times due to inflation? All businesses simply increase cost without adding anything else for the consumer, and/or they make cutbacks to keep prices steady.

The one thing I don't like is that I feel that the way they went about a lot of recent changes was very sneaky. At the very least, when someone calls NCL, the reps should have the most updated information to give.

Price increases due to inflation are one thing. Del Rio increased the cost of soda not because it cost NCL more for them but because he wants to get more from the customer and they will pay the price since they are in the middle of the ocean and are a captive audience.

I have been reading LOTS of these posts. (interesting to read while eating lunch at my desk). I haven't thought of chiming in since...in the big scheme of things the complaints have been a bit too much. (IMHO and w peace and love!) and overall the fee increases are nominal...........

Yes, we have to watch our budgets and yes vacation is expensive..but what I see are fees to keep profitability (their right and responsibility to their employees!), keep ships clean (ever see people stack plates high from the buffet and leave around the pool? Impossible for staff to keep up) and maybe improve overall service....and, although a main stream cruise line these fees will still keep the cruises affordable but not a "all you can eat for 9.99, " fest.

Policies tend to swing on the spectrum from overly controlled to a free for all. Eventually these will hit the middle and the true NCL fan/client base will remain and new ones will emerge.

It is what is. Happiness and safety to all for their next cruises!

I also told DH about the new policy in regards to not taking food back to your cabin (gave all the specifics). He wanted to know if we are adults going on a cruise or children going back to school with all kinds of stupid rules.:(

His thought process is he is paying for that food and he should have the flexibility to take the food wherever he wants to eat it.

Exactly! I complained to NCL public relations and got a phone call confirming no food from buffet to room. People on cruises now are reporting they are still taking food and no one is stopping them but the rule just changed. But I'm on vacation and expect to be treated like a guest, not a school child.

It is very convenient for us to eat in the room sometimes. I might go eat breakfast and bring something back for others in the room who just want privacy in the morning. We might be tired and want to just relax and eat lunch in the room and enjoy watching the ocean. That's why we paid for a balcony room. Our son might want to eat his meal before he goes back to the kids' club while we get ready for the evening.

Could I order room service? Sure? And then I have to plan ahead, have limited choices, and wait for it, and the food arrives cold..... when I could just walk up a flight of stairs and get what I want.

If they start enforcing this dumb rule, I will switch to a cruise line that treats guests like guests. Besides that, Celebrity Cruise has much better food without having to pay for a specialty restaurant.

Forget about the DSC... that is NCL's problem to figure out how it is divided..., and for staff to figure out if they are being paid enough, and happy with their jobs. IMHO... i do not think that crew who have signed contracts, are seeing any change in their pay---maybe under newer contracts, but not pre-existing ones

BUT you are paying twice..... a meal is included in your basic cruise fare that you have paid for, you decide not t eat a complimentry restaurant, but go to a "fee" one. Now you have paid twice for one meal. + 18%

Safe sailing