CATS on OASIS - Time to "Dump" it?

I tell you what - if they put Steve Wynn's newest production, Showstoppers, onboard the house would be full. Or even a knockoff of it.

With Showstoppers, you get the glitz, the glam and wonderful hit songs from many Broadway shows. All in approximately 90 minutes.

Sorry, my Vegas is showing. ;)

I tell you what - if they put Steve Wynn's newest production, Showstoppers, onboard the house would be full. Or even a knockoff of it.

With Showstoppers, you get the glitz, the glam and wonderful hit songs from many Broadway shows. All in approximately 90 minutes.

Sorry, my Vegas is showing. ;)

That's pretty much the production shows from the 90's and early 2000's

Apparently someone thought we deserved 'better'. :rolleyes:

Just saw it on the Oasis. Good actors. Good set. Not a good play. RC should pick something different.

You summarized the problem perfectly. People go to Cats expecting a play, but it's really a T.S. Elliot poetry recitation sung to music with costumes, make-up and a set. (Except for the one song that's actually a song - Memory.)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

You summarized the problem perfectly. People go to Cats expecting a play, but it's really a T.S. Elliot poetry recitation sung to music with costumes, make-up and a set. (Except for the one song that's actually a song - Memory.)

Judy

Mr Mestopholi and Jelical cats are fairly toe tapping songs

Yes, Yes, yes... It's certainly time to dump CATS. It just wasn't a good selection for a cruise ship. No way do I want to spend 2 1/2 hrs in a show at night. It's ok to make a mistake. Just admit it and go in a new direction.

We had afternoon reservations and still fell asleep...

Some of the people with us left within the first 10 minutes...I left at intermission and returned near the end as the CD promised a great not to be missed ending...it never happened...:( :confused:

so disappointed as I love the shows and never miss one when cruising but this one I wish I had of...

Mr Mestopholi and Jelical cats are fairly toe tapping songs

Agreed! But only if you're THERE - I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio!;) Not everybody likes opera, and Cats strikes me more as an operatic production of T.S. Elliot's poetry than a musical theater production.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Agreed! But only if you're THERE - I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio!;) Not everybody likes opera, and Cats strikes me more as an operatic production of T.S. Elliot's poetry than a musical theater production.

Judy

Try and find a copy of The Premiere Collection: The Best of ALW. It doesn't have Jellicle Cats though.

Try and find a copy of The Premiere Collection: The Best of ALW. It doesn't have Jellicle Cats though.

That album really does have some great Weber stuff. Nope, no Jellicles - just Elaine Paige doing Memory (great song, great voice - that one made it to the top 10 on the charts in 1981? or maybe 82 in the US) and the guy whose name I can't remember doing Magical Mr. Mistoffelees. Memory got a lot of air time back in the day, Mistoffelees…not so much!

And do you remember the thing about Elaine Paige? Originally Judy Dench was supposed to play Grizabella when Cats opened in London but she got injured before the show opened and Weber put Elaine Paige into the part. She was great and sang a fantastic version of Memory! Streisand, Mathis, Celine Dion, Manilow, and a bunch of others have covered that song, but I still liked Paige best.

Judy

DW just informed me that she made reservations for Cats during the afternoon, and said it was so she has something to do while I'm on the flowrider. Best win-win ever. :D

Yeah, almost missed the best of the best due to timing of Cats.. I must say Oasis does the best best of the best, that I have seen too.

jc

Judy

Why did I spend hundreds of $ when I was in Vienna to go to the opera, that was sold out if "nobody likes opera"? That said, some operas are kind of like my lovely wife singing songs about the dog and the cat here at home...

I grew up listening to ALW's Superstar, Evita and Cats. Dreaming of being able to see them on Broadway instead of the little theatre's production of Pippin...

jc

Why did I spend hundreds of $ when I was in Vienna to go to the opera, that was sold out if "nobody likes opera"?.

OOPS! We seem to have miscommunicated. When I said "not everybody likes opera" in my post above I surely didn't mean 'nobody likes opera' and I'm sorry if that's what you understood. That's not what I said nor what I meant. I like opera! Obviously you like opera. What I was trying to express is that not everybody has the same taste in musical productions. My experience is that cruise ship audiences seem to have a greater appreciation for musical comedy than for operatic productions.

Judy

Yeah, almost missed the best of the best due to timing of Cats.. I must say Oasis does the best best of the best, that I have seen too.

jc

Agree on Oasis BOTB, especially when I get picked to participate :p. Also love the Flow Show at night on Oasis. It's nice to show your skills in BOTB and not be upstaged by the staff immediately afterwards. Hoping my youngest hits 58" by October, as we're aiming for a trifecta in BOTB. He's less than half an inch short at the moment.

My DW knows BOTB is the holy grail of the cruise experience for me and my sons, so there's no way we do Cats (or any show) that afternoon.

Since it's a family oriented ship, I recommend something more like Billy Elliot rather than Cats. Surely there have got to be shows for families.

Or perhaps something like Mama Mia or any other show that features GREAT music from our younger days.

If you want a packed house, sprinkle a production show with Elvis, Beatles, Elton, Michael Jackson, etc. Whatever works in Vegas should work here. A show that people want to see more than once, not leave early.

Simply stated, a cruise ship is a very difficult venue for a full Broadway show. And Broadway shows target a fairly narrow audience.

A swing and a miss by Royal.

Edited by TubbyMrT

They need to take a bath on the cost and cancel it. Too many people don't like it. This is a service industry and if most people can't sit through it, the it's time to listen. Hey enough people complained about Dynamic Dinning and they caved. There needs to be a organized effort to let them know exactly how much this show is HATE.

What about Jersey Boys??

Well, as the repeat passengers come on and don't go to the show, the empty seats will tell the story.

We will do another Oasis Back2Back in February/March and plan to see it three times again. We will also attend the cast performances in Dazzles and Jazz on 4.

But, we're not the typical cruiser who wants a no-brainer musical that is over in 30 minutes so that they can head to a bar.;) We are also odd because, when young, we were taught to appreciate and enjoy Broadway productions; it's just our family way. I wish we were taking our grandchildren with us in February as they would like "Cats".

Edited by beachnative