CATS on OASIS - Time to "Dump" it?

Hairspray, while set in ancient times, way back in the 60's, is actually a considerably newer show.

Having grown up with Dick Clark, I guess that makes me "ancient." In any case, Hair Spray had a Broadway run of less than seven years, while Cats was significantly longer.

My point is that Hair Spray was set in the 1960's while Cats is not tied to a particular era.

I will say though, that most people don't know that Cats has British setting. It was interesting that when we were there two weeks ago we sat immediately behind the next replacement cast and they all seemed to have British accents.

My poor head is exploding with the random use of quotation marks starting with the thread title and spreading throughout the entire thread.

Why "are" we "randomly" using quotation marks "in" conversations?

I can remember from past threads how that "gets on your nerves".;)

I have 5 year triplets, and they sat through the entire 2.5 hour show in April without a single complaint. They loved it (as did I, but I had already seen it on Broadway). How is it that a bunch of adults whine and complain about sitting through a musical when preschoolers have no issue with it? Why would they shorten the musical? It is what it is. If you don't want to see it, then don't go. Also, how is it confusing? One of the Cats clearly explains exactly what's going on in the beginning of the show. It's only confusing if you don't speak English.

Maybe it works as you can also sit through Teletubbies with the same 2 kids.

I avoided for a reason when it played Toronto , we attend musicals in my family and we are actual season ticket holders to the Opera but I could only suffer through the 1st half of Cats when we were on Oasis.

I remember taking my 8 year old son to a production of Figaro, busy with work so as I sat down and started to give him an overview. He told me it was cool as he had seen the Bugs Bunny version.

I have 5 year triplets, and they sat through the entire 2.5 hour show in April without a single complaint. They loved it (as did I, but I had already seen it on Broadway). How is it that a bunch of adults whine and complain about sitting through a musical when preschoolers have no issue with it? Why would they shorten the musical? It is what it is. If you don't want to see it, then don't go. Also, how is it confusing? One of the Cats clearly explains exactly what's going on in the beginning of the show. It's only confusing if you don't speak English.

There are a lot of things preschoolers do without complaining that I wouldn't do if you paid me. The aforementioned Teletubbies is certainly not even the easiest example.

My buddy's kid will listen to PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME WHERE HE AT WHERE HE AT song like 2,000 times in a row on repeat, this doesn't make that kid Mozart.

I'm sure your triplets are super special, precious little snowflakes, but using them as a litmus test of whether a show is good or not is a huge joke.

I have seen "Cats" on land and probably go and see it on a cruise, but once more would be enough, the same goes for "Hairspray".;)

Me too!

Cats is slow to start and if you have no past exposure, it could be a little boring at first.

I had my 2 daughters read the book 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' before going to see Cats in London. They enjoyed the songs and knew them prior to show and that they were singing the poems written by TS Eliot other than Memory.

Me too!

Cats is slow to start and if you have no past exposure, it could be a little boring at first.

I had my 2 daughters read the book 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' before going to see Cats in London. They enjoyed the songs and knew them prior to show and that they were singing the poems written by TS Eliot other than Memory.

RCL please listen to the majority on this thread, CATS is boring and not what cruisers want on a ship. Pleas throw Cats overboard.

RCL please listen to the majority on this thread, CATS is boring and not what cruisers want on a ship. Pleas throw Cats overboard.

I would NOT throw Cats overboard! I like the songs/music. What I really liked was the knowledge of the history/back story of Cats.

I liked Cats in London and have seen it twice since!

----------

I particularly do not like most of the production shows, especially lasting more than an hour! I will say that on our Allure cruise in 2010, the show with the tree was very good as it had acrobatics.

Maybe that is what we have come to. Needing stimulation of our visual senses, not our minds!?

I would NOT throw Cats overboard! I like the songs/music. What I really liked was the knowledge of the history/back story of Cats.

I liked Cats in London and have seen it twice since!

----------

I particularly do not like most of the production shows, especially lasting more than an hour! I will say that on our Allure cruise in 2010, the show with the tree was very good as it had acrobatics.

Maybe that is what we have come to. Needing stimulation of our visual senses, not our minds!?

I wouldn't throw Cats out either. I readily admit my attention span is probably not any longer than a two-year-old's but there was just so much to do on Oasis, I never gave it a second thought. I don't even know what nights it was playing. Just don't go.

I liked hairspray but cats I think it's 2 long for a cruise. There is so much to do but I will manage my time so I don't miss the show

It is a great show and the performers are excellent. But as I have said, I also think that the show is too long, and I will add probably a little too intellectual for a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. They are not going to have Cats onboard forever. They had Hairspray before Cats. So sooner or later another show will replace Cats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

It is a great show and the performers are excellent. But as I have said, I also think that the show is too long, and I will add probably a little too intellectual for a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. They are not going to have Cats onboard forever. They had Hairspray before Cats. So sooner or later another show will replace Cats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hairspray lasted 6 years.

Good Lord!

I saw Cats in the mid 80's and it was lousy with a real professional cast. (Ya, you do stupid things to woo your bride-to-be). I'd rather see a Milli Vanilli cover band (or an Adam Sandler movie) than sit though that abomination again.:mad:

Good Lord!

I saw Cats in the mid 80's and it was lousy with a real professional cast. (Ya, you do stupid things to woo your bride-to-be). I'd rather see a Milli Vanilli cover band (or an Adam Sandler movie) than sit though that abomination again.:mad:

You think the cast on the ship aren't "real" professionals?

You think the cast on the ship aren't "real" professionals?

Perhaps I should have said "First Rate Professionals" vs. the cast on a cruise ship, who are Third Rate Professionals at best.

Or if you are a baseball fan, Major League vs. Minor League.

Take your pick.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Perhaps I should have said "First Rate Professionals" vs. the cast on a cruise ship, who are Third Rate Professionals at best.

Or if you are a baseball fan, Major League vs. Minor League.

Take your pick.

Actually you don't know what you are talking about in regards to the shows such as Cats on Oasis and Allure. Many of them have been in the shows off the ship

Edited by SeaUs

Hey Tiger, very well said. I think you have summarized the thoughts of the majority of cruisers. RCL please listen to the Tiger and Deep Six Cats!!!!

Actually you don't know what you are talking about in regards to the shows such as Cats on Oasis and Allure. Many of them have been in the shows off the ship

I guess our definition of Major League/Minor league and First Rate/Third Rate differs.

If you like the level of entertainment on the ship, good for you.

I guess our definition of Major League/Minor league and First Rate/Third Rate differs.

If you like the level of entertainment on the ship, good for you.

The Broadway shows on the Oasis Class ships are performed by first rate performers. It is not the same level as typical cruise ship production shows.

Edited by Charles4515

The Broadway shows on the Oasis Class ships are performed by first rate performers. It is not the same level as typical cruise ship production shows.

I enjoyed the performance, never saw it on Broadway, but did see an Off Broadway touring company and Oasis was just as good

Those who are advocating kicking Cats overboard...

I assume RCI had to pay SOMEONE a good chunk of change for Cats.

I assume they have a contract for a set number of years.

I assume if they put in another show, they have to pay for the rights of that.

So if they kick Cats to shore before the contract is up, they'll be paying for two shows. People are griping about prices now and you want to add to the bottom line?

If you don't like the show, don't watch it. As many have mentioned, there's plenty to do on board.