CATS on OASIS - Time to "Dump" it?

IMO, if CATS opened today, it would not run 20 yrs. It was a novelty in 1980. After a while, it just became the thing for tourists to see in NYC. (Phantom still is) But there's not the same need now, even with a rotating batch of tourists on the ship. I love musicals and I'd skip this one. I did see Hairspray on Oasis and it was pretty good.

Jersey Boys would probably be a great choice for cruises.

We saw Cats on Broadway.

Before boarding the Oasis we read a good synopsis of the musical.

Attended the performance 3 times while on a B2B in July and loved it.

Once home we ordered the DVD, watched it and enjoyed it as much as the performance on the ship.

Ordered the T.S. Elliot book "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" and enjoyed reading the poems with the memory of the music in our heads.

We are returning to the Oasis in February for a Back2Back and are looking forward to seeing the show again.

Note: The key to enjoying the performance on the ship might be to read a good synopsis of the show before attending. However, the statement "I don't go on a cruise to plan things." is used a lot on Cruise Critic.;)

Edited by beachnative

Cats is a fantastic musical, but you really have to understand the story and the ships cast do a great version of it. Having said that it just does not fit on a cruise ship, too long and really not a truly upbeat musical.

I would say Cats is a great production for the older crowd, being it is an older musical. I knew this wasn't the right choice for Royal Caribbean. Their Broadway shows should be fast paced and upbeat. Still waiting for Wicked!

I would say Cats is a great production for the older crowd, being it is an older musical. I knew this wasn't the right choice for Royal Caribbean. Their Broadway shows should be fast paced and upbeat. Still waiting for Wicked!

Cats is an older musical :what:

Fiddler on the roof, The King and I, West Side Story, Oklahoma. Those are older musicals. ;)

"older crowd"? that is funny as the "older crowd" were heading for the exits in droves when we watched it on Oasis. Some didn't hang in there past the opening number :p :D

BTW can I poke fun at the older crowd as DW and I fall into that category - over 60 :). We did stay for the full performance, I did because I thought it was fantastic. DW hung in there because it was my birthday cruise. :p

Those who left at intermission, lost a great second half.

I would rather enjoy wonderful music and singing that sitting through a booring football game!

And you call yourself a Viking......lol

Edited by Beachammo

Fast paced and upbeat?! That's why I am starting a petition for RCI to get Starlight Express! [emoji28] that's a train wreck of a show.

I wish they would return to the shows from the good old days of cruising. A couple of songs from a half dozen musicals

Cats, Phantom, Evita, Fiddler, Joseph, etc..

That should keep our attention

That is what Princess will be doing with the signing of Stephen Schwartz. He is writing 4 musical/variety shows directly for Princess making use of past work.

http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/composer-stephen-schwartz-adds-magic-to-princess-cruise-ships-1201461168/

We were the guinea pigs for the first showings on the Oasis TA for CATS and they were not ready and at each performance people left during or did not come back after intermission.

I do not think it is a suitable show for a cruise ship as there are plenty others that would be better received.

It was not a musical I had wanted to see but did as it was on the ship - I sat through it all and sad to say my opinion did not change and it seems it has not got better since.

I love Musicals and also did not fancy Mama Mia but have just got off the Quantum and I loved it! So much so, having seen it once, I went again after dinner for the second half and stood at the back with lots of others as the theatre was full and everyone was having a great time.

This was the last performance too on the Quantum as the show is off to the Allure. Sadly the cast are not as they were fantatsic, there will be a new cast performing it on there.

We were at the #1 showing as well. What Long line ups and security was called in etc. People butting in and arguing over seats and then Poof LOTS of seats for everyone!!:D

Seen it before years ago and it was OK then. We left at intermission on this one. Much better things on board to do than watch something we are not wanting to watch. New show or not, makes no difference it was a poor choice for a ship I feel. Too long and did not grab you to make you stay.

Doubt it will change until the contract runs out. RCL made the choice and didn't ask anyone in a poll what they would like to see?? Perhaps that might have given them a clue earlier......?

"older crowd"? that is funny as the "older crowd" were heading for the exits in droves when we watched it on Oasis. Some didn't hang in there past the opening number :p :D

Sure at that Point it was time for the first potty break:eek:

For those of you who would like to see "Cats" replaced:

They could replace it with a full length "Cabaret".......it's upbeat, family oriented, non-controversial.;):rolleyes::eek::p

Last time I saw Cabaret was in Portland Oregon around 2007 in the Gerding Theater at the Armory. The review stated it was dark, skin-baring and sexually suggestive. Their version definitely was. :eek: :p

Last time I saw Cabaret was in Portland Oregon around 2007 in the Gerding Theater at the Armory. The review stated it was dark, skin-baring and sexually suggestive. Their version definitely was. :eek: :p

That is why I "suggested" it......HaHa:D. Loved it on Broadway.

Some people complained about "Chicago" being too much for kids. "Cabaret" would blow a fuse.:eek:

I Still think OffBroadway "Naked Boys Singing" would maintain interest. :eek::D....even the older crowd.

Edited by beachnative

In San Diego in mid 70s while home ported there in the Navy. To be honest I remember very little of it, I went more because of the hype about it. :p

I lived downtown with my grandmother in 76. Loved Horton Plaza and all the shops on Broadway. So different now. :(

Oh! Calcutta!

85 million people can't be wrong

HaHa….seeing it now might not be so shocking….more the lines of after 9pm tv…..or some of the current hit movies.:eek:

Seeing these old titles makes me realize how (too) much we've seen on Broadway and OffBroadway.:D

OK…….how about full length version of "Hair".:eek:

On a serious note: this old timer would like to see "42nd Street" on the cruise ship.

Edited by beachnative

I'm not sure if I'd go see Cats on Oasis or not. (Definitely NOT in the afternoon on a lovely day, though!) And I find it difficult enough to schedule things on Oasis class ships since there are so many choices for dining and entertainment, so it's unlikely I would make time for Cats during a cruise.

I saw it years ago when the Broadway traveling company was performing around the US, and seeing it once is probably enough. I am a fan of T.S. Elliot's poetry, and in fact I have an ancient dogeared copy of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats and I loved Grizabella from the poetry long before I saw her on stage. I know Cats played on Broadway for 15+ years, so it had a long run and was popular. The sets, costumes and make-up are unique, but as musicals go l agree it's an odd choice for a production on a cruise ship. There's really only one song that most people would recognize (Memory) and the rest are Elliot poems set to music. It's certainly not a typical musical theater production. Probably it would be much more appealing on a college campus than on a cruise ship.

BUT…as another poster pointed out, RC will likely not change this production anytime soon since the royalties/rights have been paid for some period of time (years?), sets have been built, and costumes obtained. I'm guessing there won't be any problem getting a reservation...;)

Judy