Noordam and long voyage

ehogan

We are coming close to our final payment date fror a 39 day voyage to AUS/NZ .

We are not concerned with the length of the voyage (have done a 48 day one) but do have some concerns with the ship.

For previous HAL long term cruisers... Do they do a fairly good job of evening entertainment or is the same schedule repeated many times? Are current films shown throughout the voyage?

We are not terribly fussy but there are some negative reviews of food and ship condition on this site so we would appreciate your input before we make our final decision.

We have cruised HAL several times before but are regular Princess cruisers. HAL offers a better itinerary which is the reason for our initial choice.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Before the Noordam started her Alaska season, she was in drydock and there were interior enhancements planned, and, I assume done.

When I was aboard her in January, the cuisine was excellent, service was as I expected, and the entertainment was very good. On a long cruise, there will be a variety of entertainers and entertainment. The cast will have several different shows that they have learned. It will not be the same thing each evening. One might also expect some individual lecturers on a variety of topics.

Before the Noordam started her Alaska season, she was in drydock and there were interior enhancements planned, and, I assume done.

When I was aboard her in January, the cuisine was excellent, service was as I expected, and the entertainment was very good. On a long cruise, there will be a variety of entertainers and entertainment. The cast will have several different shows that they have learned. It will not be the same thing each evening. One might also expect some individual lecturers on a variety of topics.

Agree on all counts. They will increase the variety of entertainment, and to a certain extent, food, for the longer cruise.

You will find it far easier to find negative reviews as those seem to be easier to write. A number of negative reviewers seem to be very fond of making mountains out of molehills.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I sure would not base any concerns on the reports of others. It seems that the most "vocal" posters are the ones that think the ships are falling apart and the food is not fit to eat. I personally have never encountered either on a HAL ship. Food is so subjective, for me any meal I don't have to cook or clean up after and is followed up by chocolate something is a good meal. I guess my point is don't let other cruiser's perceptions of what is good and what is not color your cruise.

We now love cruises now that we have retired and have been on many >45 days. Even with the 100+day world cruise, there is very little if any repetition of entertainment. Except for the HAL cast, most performers are only on for a short while and usually not for the entire cruise. A performer, i.e. the comedian, may have more than 1 show but it is different each time. They try to bring on local entertainment when in ports like you will visit. The dirigidoo(sp) player who boarded in Darwin and got off in Brisbane or Sydney was strangely interesting. There is a male singing group in Sydney who do cruise ships who are outstanding - hope you get them. The HAL cast will do several shows but all with different themes. The BB King show will repeat now and again as there is only so much BB King music and they have 2-3 sets most evenings. HAL does often have a variety-type show now and again where a few previous performers do about 15 minutes, which is about the only way I can get my DH to 'see' many of the musicians.

We were on the Noordam late Nov/early Dec and had a good time. Yes, it is a bit worn here and there, like chair edges in the Ocean Bar but she may have been refitted since we were there. Enjoy your cruise - it is a great one.

Edited by take us away

Currently on the Noordam enjoying great food, fastest laundry in the fleet, lots of new items since drydock, and a great crew.

The laundry service I experienced was surprising. I would leave some clothes to be done well after 9:00 A. M. and often found the clean clothes returned during the evening turn-down service.

The laundry service I experienced was surprising. I would leave some clothes to be done well after 9:00 A. M. and often found the clean clothes returned during the evening turn-down service.

One day last week aboard the Noordam laundry was picked up by our Room Stewards at 10:00 AM and returned by 3:00 PM.

Edited by Crew News

We just got off the Noordam on Saturday from a 19 day Panama cruise. She was just out of dry dock and looking good.

For these longer cruises they usually have good entertainers on board. We ate in the MDR (anytime dining) most evenings and never had a bad meal. Also in the Pinnacle which was delicious (filet mignon cooked perfectly). Unless you are very fussy I wouldn't worry about the food. The only time I had to send something back was at lunch in the MDR when I asked for a well done burger and it was rare. I can't eat rare hamburger.

We had a wonderful cruise on her so I hope you do too.

Thank you all so much for your replies. You have set any concerns we had to rest and unless something untoward happens, we will make our final payment.

The members of the cruise critic forums have never let us down!

All the best to you.

We got off the Noordam on Saturday also after 19 wonderful nights. The first night we didn't have entertainment. The shows were varied and for the most part very good. I found some of the entertainment didn't cater to the demographic of the cruise. They were playing music most of the passengers didn't know and didn't care for. Some left the theatre. I always stayed.

The movies we had were "The Theory of Everything", "Imitation Games", "Selma" and some other new releases. Unfortunately they only played once in BB Kings Lounge but you could watch them on your TV in your stateroom the next day. I really miss the movie theatre on the newer ships.

Food was awesome and service excellent. You will love your long cruise.