What are your favourite Sydney sights in the suburbs?

Hello Sydneysiders and others who have visited Sydney on cruises...

For the next Cruise Critic Australia blog, I'm looking for suggestions of places to go in Sydney that are off the beaten track.

What are your favourite places to visit and things to do outside the city centre?

Of course, they need to be easy to reach for a cruise passenger who might only have one day in port, so inner-city suburbs are best. Some examples in this new book include dining in Potts Point, the art galleries in Chippendale or shopping in Paddington. If you are an expert on any of those places, please tell me more, or suggest your own... Thanks!

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor, Cruise Critic

Edited by CruiseCriticAUeditor

Hello Sydneysiders and others who have visited Sydney on cruises...

For the next Cruise Critic Australia blog, I'm looking for suggestions of places to go in Sydney that are off the beaten track.

What are your favourite places to visit and things to do outside the city centre?

Of course, they need to be easy to reach for a cruise passenger who might only have one day in port, so inner-city suburbs are best. Some examples in this new book include dining in Potts Point, the art galleries in Chippendale or shopping in Paddington. If you are an expert on any of those places, please tell me more, or suggest your own... Thanks!

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor, Cruise Critic

A few suggestions that come to mind are the Power House Museum, Paddy's Market at Darling Harbour and for those that are sports minded a tour of the Sydney Cricket Ground or ANZ Stadium at Homebush.

If you like Asian food take a train to Chatswood and try out the new "eat streets", The District, above the railway station.

I also second the ferry ride to Manly. Once in Manly go straight ahead from the ferry terminal, through The Corso to the ocean beach. Go right along the beachfront and carry on around the walkway. Look out for the metal sea creatures hidden on the rocks along the way. Very cute.

Hi Louise,

Can I suggest:

1. Dining in Newtown. Lots of Thai and Asian, plus so many other types of food.

Take bus from George Street (422, 423, 426 or 428), train to Newtown or taxi.

2. Fish Market for lunch. Take light rail (tram) from Central Station.

3. Marrickville. A bit further out (approx 30 mins on the bus or train) but great Vietnamese, Greek and Asian.

Take the train to Marrickville or the bus (423 or 426)

Hope that helps.

A lot depends on how far out you want to go.

The wildlife park at Pennant hills

Blue Mts

Zoo [not real far out]

Bondi and Manly

Windsor for some history

Hunter Valley for the Vineyards

Canberra

All doable in a day trip. but the last two are pushing it a bit in my opinion.

A lot will depend on what your interest are and the time of year.

If you like Asian food take a train to Chatswood and try out the new "eat streets", The District, above the railway station.

I also second the ferry ride to Manly. Once in Manly go straight ahead from the ferry terminal, through The Corso to the ocean beach. Go right along the beachfront and carry on around the walkway. Look out for the metal sea creatures hidden on the rocks along the way. Very cute.

There is (or at least was a few years ago) a rivercat that went to Parramatta too. That was a pretty good trip, and had the Parramatta shopping centre at the other end to visit before returning to the ship.

Anyone who needs a shopping mall fix plus lunch should catch the train to Bondi Junction and go to the Westfield mall. It has everything from designer fashion to two dollar shops, department stores, supermarkets and technology retailers. Plus a really good food court with one of the best views in Sydney - The Harbour Room on level 5. If you go right across the food court to the furtherest corner you will get wonderful views of the harbour, plus the pillar in the corner has power outlets which are very useful for charging your devices. ;)

For cruisers who are not mobility challenged the Bronte to Bondi coastal walk or vice versa is very worthwhile.

There are lovely views along the cliff path of the coast and beaches and you can have lunch or a coffee at one of the many cafes at either end of the walk. During the whale migration season (approx June to August) you also often see them close to the coast and from time to time they also drop in close to the beach at Bondi.

At Bronte Beach you can have a dip in the safe ocean pool to cool off. It's a lovely pool for a nice relaxing swim.

The bus to Bondi leaves from the eastern side of Circular Quay which will take you all the way to the beach via Bondi Junction. If you walk from Bondi to Bronte the bus back to Bondi Junction #378 leaves from opposite the cafes at Bronte Beach. You then need to catch the train from Bondi Junction back to the city. Hop off at Martin Place and wander down to the Quay.

Of course you can also catch a cab if you wish. If you want to do this both ways, it's best to head to Bronte first and walk to Bondi as it's easier to hail a cab in Bondi when you want to return to the city.

I used to live in the area and I used to walk the coastal path 3 or 4 times a week and I never tired of the views. Just beautiful!

Paddys Markets at Haymarket.

Self guided tour around the rocks.

Walk around the botanical gardens.

Australian Museum.

Art Gallery of NSW.

Centrpoint tower and Hyde Park are also great places.

There are heaps of places to eat around the place too.

King st Newtown.

Norton st leichardt.

We caught the train to WoyWoy on one trip a really beautiful place enjoyed fish and chips and the scenery before catching the train back to Central.

On another trip we caught the L90 bus to Palm Beach as my partner is a home and away fan it was an epic trip but a great day out with the return trip a combination of bus and ferry. When we are in Sydney we are always on the lookout for something different to do pre and post cruise.

Anyone who needs a shopping mall fix plus lunch should catch the train to Bondi Junction and go to the Westfield mall. It has everything from designer fashion to two dollar shops, department stores, supermarkets and technology retailers. Plus a really good food court with one of the best views in Sydney - The Harbour Room on level 5. If you go right across the food court to the furtherest corner you will get wonderful views of the harbour, plus the pillar in the corner has power outlets which are very useful for charging your devices. ;)

2nd Bondi Junction, someone I love very much is a big BIG fan (at that stage the love gets tried).

We caught the train to WoyWoy on one trip a really beautiful place enjoyed fish and chips and the scenery before catching the train back to Central.

On another trip we caught the L90 bus to Palm Beach as my partner is a home and away fan it was an epic trip but a great day out with the return trip a combination of bus and ferry. When we are in Sydney we are always on the lookout for something different to do pre and post cruise.

:confused::confused::confused:

How come Wagga Waggga can be Wagga

Kurri Kurri can be Kurri

Wangi Wangi can be Wangi

But

Woy Woy can't be Woy. :p

When we were in Sydney last year we caught the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Don't be fooled once you arrive because the real beach is straight through the mall as you get off the ferry. Great harbour and city views from the ferry. We then caught a bus to Taronga Park Zoo (we did have to swap buses halfway and I was surprised that more tourists wouldn't want/use a direct bus route from Manly to the zoo). We enjoyed an awesome half day spent at the zoo with some of the best views of the Harbour bridge (great for selfies). We then caught the ferry back from Taronga to Circular Quay. Another option is to get unlimited ferry tickets and just return to CQ between instead of the buses but as a family of 4 we opted for the cheaper and slightly quicker bus route. Then again, on the bus we got to see some of the toffy suburbs of Sydney we would otherwise have never seen.

FWIW as Zoos Victoria members we got free entry to Taronga zoo with their reciprocal rights. Sydney entry prices were way more than Melbourne zoo too, so if you plan on visiting 2 or more zoos affiliated with Zoos Victoria (or other relevant zoo memberships) you could consider if a yearly membership would be cheaper.

When we were in Sydney last year we caught the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Don't be fooled once you arrive because the real beach is straight through the mall as you get off the ferry. Great harbour and city views from the ferry. We then caught a bus to Taronga Park Zoo (we did have to swap buses halfway and I was surprised that more tourists wouldn't want/use a direct bus route from Manly to the zoo). We enjoyed an awesome half day spent at the zoo with some of the best views of the Harbour bridge (great for selfies). We then caught the ferry back from Taronga to Circular Quay. Another option is to get unlimited ferry tickets and just return to CQ between instead of the buses but as a family of 4 we opted for the cheaper and slightly quicker bus route. Then again, on the bus we got to see some of the toffy suburbs of Sydney we would otherwise have never seen.

FWIW as Zoos Victoria members we got free entry to Taronga zoo with their reciprocal rights. Sydney entry prices were way more than Melbourne zoo too, so if you plan on visiting 2 or more zoos affiliated with Zoos Victoria (or other relevant zoo memberships) you could consider if a yearly membership would be cheaper.

I think most tourists get the Ferry to the zoo.

How about this nice combo of regular & offbeat:

-Ferry from the Quay to Milsons Point

-Luna Park if there are kids

-Photo ops of the bridge & Opera House

Then for a more off beat visit head to Lavender Bay to see the secret garden:

http://www.weekendnotes.com/wendy-whiteleys-secret-garden/

Cafes everywhere in Kirribilli for snacks & lunch.

Get the train back from Milsons Point to the city or Circular Quay for a birds eye view of the harbour.

Or walk over the Bridge back to the Quay doing the pylon climb for the active members.

:):)

Maybe my point was lost, but the ferry is great for single stops. Each ferry is a direct service so the Ferry for Manly passes by the Zoo but it doesn't stop there. We only had one day in Sydney and wanted to take in a beach as well as the zoo. To do this by ferry you would have to return to CQ in between the 2 stops, at ~30 mins each way plus wait time for the next service. Doing so will waste at least an hour of the day.

We asked at the information booth at Manly the best way to get to the zoo and we were told there was no direct route via public transport (of course we could take a taxi) but that 2 buses would get us there. It was not overly difficult but I would have thought more people would use a connecting service between ferry stops. When we asked, it was as if we were the first to suggest we wanted to get from Manly to Taronga, and even the first bus driver was unsure.

Maybe my point was lost, but the ferry is great for single stops. Each ferry is a direct service so the Ferry for Manly passes by the Zoo but it doesn't stop there. We only had one day in Sydney and wanted to take in a beach as well as the zoo. To do this by ferry you would have to return to CQ in between the 2 stops, at ~30 mins each way plus wait time for the next service. Doing so will waste at least an hour of the day.

We asked at the information booth at Manly the best way to get to the zoo and we were told there was no direct route via public transport (of course we could take a taxi) but that 2 buses would get us there. It was not overly difficult but I would have thought more people would use a connecting service between ferry stops. When we asked, it was as if we were the first to suggest we wanted to get from Manly to Taronga, and even the first bus driver was unsure.

Not sure who told you you couldn't get the ferry from Zoo to manly but something like the eco-hopper is perfect for just that

http://www.sydneyharbourecohopper.com.au/time-table#map

lets you get on and off all over the harbour.

Circular Quay, Darling Harbour, Manly, Zoo, Watson's Bay, Nth Syd, Q Station.

I posted a question on TA seeking advice on trips we could do from Central to fill in time on a day post cruise in Sydney. One of the responses was to visit Woy Woy and although I was initially sceptical I thought why not as we hadn't been there.

As it turned out it was a gem of a day, the train ride was comfortable and the scenery and ambiance at Woy Woy delightful plus were were entertained on the return train trip by a group that although were rowdy were happy as they had been to a game of sorts including a lad who delighted everyone by walking through the carriages wearing goggles, flippers and breathing through a snorkel.

Our only regret was that time didn't allow us to get off at some of the stations to explore the other delightful towns it was suggested to us.