Cagney's will be ala carte pricing

sjnyc323

I think you are right. If they price the meat at @ $35 and then give you complimentary potato and vege, you could skate out of there for about the same price as the cover charge now, and how would that benefit NCL? The idea is for them to maximize what you will spend. So, like at a Ruth's Chris, I think there will be a $ amount attached to everything on the menu. If there is anything on your plate besides the steak at a RC, it is more like a garnish rather than a vege.

IMO, the UDP even with Cagneys is close to a break even proposition for most cruisers because they are probably going to end up in the buffet or MDR or O'Sheehans at least once. Without Cagneys, forget it, at least at the current package price.

But, as I said earlier, I think the old UDP will be a thing of the past to be replaced by a Dining Package giving you $xx to apply where ever. You can blow it all quickly at Cagneys or Ocean Blue, or more slowly with the others, like the current $70 or is it $75 the promo includes now. Gone will be the days when passengers dined 4 or 5 nights or more at Cagneys with the UDP.

As far as I can tell from one promo advert there is already a limit on the credit to the number of uses as well as $limit.

I sailed Getaway and loved Cagney's...so I purchased the UDP for my Nov 14 sailing on Escape. When I read on CC that Cagney's was going al la carte I called NCL to find out how it affected my UDP. I was told clearly and to the point, Cagney's is no longer part of the UDP...that I would pay to dine there.

I don't have an issue with increased costs, but to deny me what I paid for...that is a not ethical in my book.

As result, I will take my business else where.....cancelling 5 NCL cruises under deposit. This is just wrong...... after 36 years of cruising I have never had something taken away from me that I already paid for....and not even a courtesy notification of the change. With much regret I say good bye to NCL.

PS.....to the corporate guys, I have 5 Regent cruises and one Oceania cruise to my name.....I will refrain from sailing on these lines as well.

To each his own, but professional ethics are important to me......as is where I spend my hard earned dollars.

So much for any grandfathering. I'm sorry they did not treat you with the respect you deserved. These changes are putting a terrible light on NCL. I can't understand the sense to any of it.

Great! If this is true I wonder how it will affect my UDP that I booked?

Maybe they'll be kind enough to grandfather those in who already have it?

Harriet

Didn't someone that is friends with FDR come on this board a few weeks ago and say that was not going to happen per her email directly from FDR?

I sailed Getaway and loved Cagney's...so I purchased the UDP for my Nov 14 sailing on Escape. When I read on CC that Cagney's was going al la carte I called NCL to find out how it affected my UDP. I was told clearly and to the point, Cagney's is no longer part of the UDP...that I would pay to dine there.

I don't have an issue with increased costs, but to deny me what I paid for...that is a not ethical in my book.

As result, I will take my business else where.....cancelling 5 NCL cruises under deposit. This is just wrong...... after 36 years of cruising I have never had something taken away from me that I already paid for....and not even a courtesy notification of the change. With much regret I say good bye to NCL.

PS.....to the corporate guys, I have 5 Regent cruises and one Oceania cruise to my name.....I will refrain from sailing on these lines as well.

To each his own, but professional ethics are important to me......as is where I spend my hard earned dollars.

I understand and don't disagree with what you are saying. Just remember that this info was leaked by an NCL employee. Someone who should probably be fired for sharing it. You can't be mad at NCL for not telling you something that hasn't been announced yet.

I agree with the rest of what you are saying, except wanted to make that point.

One way to test reactions is to leak changes.

One way to find your leaks...

If this is true then all those advanced bookings that came with UDP will have had two restaurants pulled from the package.

Remember Europe cruises had two choices so UDP was probably chosen on a lot of those.

Room service fee - TRUE

Removal of free Cirque/Illusionarium from UDP - TRUE

Kids full price in specialty restaurants - TRUE

No taking food from restaurants to your room - TRUE

Please show me where any of the above were posted as rumors. My recollection is that when these changes happen. It was from onboard passengers. And quite frankly, I can't find one single post of the NCL psychics knowing any of these before they were rolled out. Please prove me wrong.

And to all the FDR haters, KS was a wolf in sheets clothing as a CEO. So, you only perceive him as being a better CEO. The info is out there.

And this is exactly how I plan to deal with the "no food from the buffet" issue. I never have room to enjoy a dessert right after dinner, but I do like to have one later. I love the cobblers and crumbles from the buffet, and my butler's time will be wasted nightly by me having him bring me one to the Haven. NCL

Suites are exempt from the 7.95 convenience fee

You're correct, upscale steakhouses are a la carte and everything is priced separately. Appetizers have a cost, entrées have a cost, sides have a cost, etc., I've never been to an upscale steakhouse where you just pay for your steak and everything else comes with it at no charge, that is more like the Outback and not an a la carte restaurant. I would think if NCL is going to go the route of an upscale steakhouse, it will truly be a la carte.

They really need to upgrade the meat then. The upscale steakhouse that we go to is exactly like you describe - everything is a la carte, but the quality of Cagney's does not even come close to places like this. Not by the long shot!

They really need to upgrade the meat then. The upscale steakhouse that we go to is exactly like you describe - everything is a la carte, but the quality of Cagney's does not even come close to places like this. Not by the long shot!
There is no way that they could keep their current menu and quality and go a la carte. They will need to serve food comparable to Ruth Chris, Morton's, The Palm, Old Homestead Steakhouse, etc., to be able to charge a la carte prices. With their current menu, there is no way I would pay $40 to $50 for a filet and then another $30 on appetizers and sides. At $30 right now, they are priced appropriately for their quality and menu and if they think that it is worth $100 with an a la carte pricing, I believe they would sit empty most of the time.

Hehe, well.. I try not to read all of them to remain a positive attitude towards cruising on NCL! ;)

Guess everyone does. And to be honest the cruise lines need us as customers more than we need them to go on vacation. 54 days still booked for this year, but if they continue like they did the last months I am sure someone else wants my vacation nights for next year. Nothing we should stress about.

There is no way that they could keep their current menu and quality and go a la carte. They will need to serve food comparable to Ruth Chris, Morton's, The Palm, Old Homestead Steakhouse, etc., to be able to charge a la carte prices. With their current menu, there is no way I would pay $40 to $50 for a filet and then another $30 on appetizers and sides. At $30 right now, they are priced appropriately for their quality and menu and if they think that it is worth $100 with an a la carte pricing, I believe they would sit empty most of the time.

I agree. If they don't upgrade to the quality of Ruth's Chris they will sit empty like Ocean Blue does (so I've heard). There's no way I will take a family of 4 there now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Agreed!

If Escape is not supposed to begin sailing until Fall 2015, the prices for Cagney won't become a la carte until then according to the statement above. But, then someone said July 3, 2015? Anyone have guesstimate when?

I was going to ask this exact same question! We sail on July 19th on the Breakaway and we have Cagney's reserved one evening through Group Events for a party of 11. Once I read in the beginning of this thread that this a la carte pricing will roll out when the Escape begins to sail (which wouldn't affect our sailing), I also wondered about what I had previously read, which said it will be put in place July 3, 2015 which would affect our sailing.

Any info on a date for sure?

At least the popcorn is for free in this a la carte thread! :D

However, to maintain a beautiful and pristine environment for our CC members we ask that you eat this only in the restaurant thread. :)

Oh and for the record (just in case NCL is reading this thread), there's nothing like getting a free perk (UDP) for booking a suite and then taking away our favorite restaurant before we even sail. I'm going to think long and hard about whether or not I'll be making final payment for our November cruise. :(

Guess everyone does. And to be honest the cruise lines need us as customers more than we need them to go on vacation. 54 days still booked for this year, but if they continue like they did the last months I am sure someone else wants my vacation nights for next year. Nothing we should stress about.

Very very true.

However, to maintain a beautiful and pristine environment for our CC members we ask that you eat this only in the restaurant thread. :)

*great smile* :D

To the poster who wonders (or hopes) NCL reads this kind of threads, I hope they do, business wise.

Oh and for the record (just in case NCL is reading this thread), there's nothing like getting a free perk (UDP) for booking a suite and then taking away our favorite restaurant before we even sail. I'm going to think long and hard about whether or not I'll be making final payment for our November cruise. :(
Do we know for sure that they are doing this? I'll wait to hear from NCL and then if they are doing it, I'll simply ask to transfer my perk from UDP to something else.

Room service fee - TRUE

Removal of free Cirque/Illusionarium from UDP - TRUE

Kids full price in specialty restaurants - TRUE

No taking food from restaurants to your room - TRUE

Please show me where any of the above were posted as rumors. My recollection is that when these changes happen. It was from onboard passengers. And quite frankly, I can't find one single post of the NCL psychics knowing any of these before they were rolled out. Please prove me wrong.

And to all the FDR haters, KS was a wolf in sheets clothing as a CEO. So, you only perceive him as being a better CEO. The info is out there.

Tvguy, you are making my point. News of all of these changes (and more) were posted first by CC members. Some were posted by those on a ship and some by returning cruisers. Some info has been given to passengers by NCL officers they know personally. All these things turned out to be true, however those who initially posted were accused of spreading rumors or making thing up. Where was NCL corporate while all this was going on? Unknown.....but they certainly weren't cranking out the press releases.

And the cycle is continuing with this latest news about Cagney's.

Edited by cruisebie