Cagney's will be ala carte pricing

sjnyc323

You would have to eat in specialties every night in order to break even. Miss one and lose money. Stupid. I've bought UDP before, but certainly wouldn't again.

Edited by LrgPizza

You would have to eat in specialties every night in order to break even. Miss one and lose money. Stupid.
If Cagney's were to go a la carte, I wouldn't purchase a UDP again, because I would want to eat at Cagney's a number nights and thus the UDP would be beneficial cost wise.

And this is exactly how I plan to deal with the "no food from the buffet" issue. I never have room to enjoy a dessert right after dinner, but I do like to have one later. I love the cobblers and crumbles from the buffet, and my butler's time will be wasted nightly by me having him bring me one to the Haven. NCL

Enjoy your "treats" from the butler - here's a (GA) preview for you - niece took some pictures, this was embarkation. She joked that her little ones can each finish the whole plate by themselves :p Silly, isn't it.

As for Cagney's - DW doesn't eat beef but we got our "workarounds" figured out too, I think. They did send the butler to fetch hot items from Shanghai Noodles up to Haven (whenver that kitchen is open with its simple menu, and, I agreed - it's better than the meatloaf or chicken pot pie)

This seems so much like a bait and switch to me. Our family recently booked 4 cabins with the free UDP for next March on Getaway. I did the math on the value of the UDP and we had found it to be a good value for us as Cagney's is LISTED as part of the plan we chose. It definitely loses its value now. Also, I have a Spirit cruise with the Free UDP perk for a 12 nighter next August. The UDP is pretty useless on Spirit.

I asked my NCL agent about this and was told the statement is true. But not only for the Escape, I was told that he changes to Cagney's would be in place by the time my cruise comes around on the Getaway in September. He ensured me that I would be grandfathered in with my UDP.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully those who are currently booked will be grandfathered in with their UDP as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Answering the who on this forum does not get anywhere because people always yell it's wrong or misinformation anyway. The source is credible and a worker of Norwegian's. They haven't strayed in the past so I deem it credible so that's all that matters to me. :) Believe it if you wish to or not... up to you. :)

I hope whatever happens you have a great sailing anyway and get Escape to the US in one piece! :)

You have a credible source, does this international person of mystery work for NCL or NSA. what a load of crap. You have a source.

Oh, I have a source for crack, hookers and meth. His name is Jerry L. Dini.

There, I've revealed my source, GIVE UP YOURS!!!

IT'S NOT TRUE. WOW.... I KNOW THIS FROM MY DM. AND ANDY STEWART VERIFIED THAT THIS IS A FALSE RUMOR ON A RECENT WEBINAR...

This seems so much like a bait and switch to me. Our family recently booked 4 cabins with the free UDP for next March on Getaway. I did the math on the value of the UDP and we had found it to be a good value for us as Cagney's is LISTED as part of the plan we chose. It definitely loses its value now. Also, I have a Spirit cruise with the Free UDP perk for a 12 nighter next August. The UDP is pretty useless on Spirit.

UDP was good value on the Spirit when the Asian had the lobster dish, Cagnies, Teppanyaki open lunch sea days.

Removing the Asian reduced the value and if Cagnies goes that's a further reduction and a platinum couple have 2 meals each anyway so really hard to make UDP work.

Yet another thread of "I know a guy, who heard form a guy, that someone he knows was on a cruise with another guy who said he overheard two people talking that they think something may happen". (Then two pages later it is absolute gospel fact... That is all this is at this point. Wow the rumor mill here is worse that the cliques back in high school. :rolleyes:

Yet another thread of "I know a guy, who heard form a guy, that someone he knows was on a cruise with another guy who said he overheard two people talking that they think something may happen". (Then two pages later it is absolute gospel fact... That is all this is at this point. Wow the rumor mill here is worse that the cliques back in high school. :rolleyes:

There are always people that are more credible than others. That is why a lot of people trust the information of the OP and I am grateful that she shared that information.

As I replied to you on the Norwegian FB page......you can roll your eyes ALL YOU WANT. 99% of everything that you're rolling your eyes at has become fact in the last few months. ;)

BTW, you are more than welcome to REMOVE yourself from the rumor mill by not clicking on anything you feel like. :D:D

Harriet

I wouldn't be surprised if it is only the steaks and ribs with a price, and the sides are free (when ordered with an entree). That would make sense, anyway.

What, Del Rio is going to leave $4 or $5 on the table that he could otherwise collect?;)

Yet another thread of "I know a guy, who heard form a guy, that someone he knows was on a cruise with another guy who said he overheard two people talking that they think something may happen".

While it is human nature, I don't really like all the rumour and speculation either. It tends to freak people out, and there is a lot of over-reaction to some of the changes. I read these threads and try not to lose much sleep over them unless or until they become real... and also real to me. Eg. The room service thing is real, but not real to me. Firstly, in 5 cruises, I've never ordered room service; and second - I sail in the Haven, so it is a moot point.

Nonetheless, I also don't like the way NCL has been rolling out these changes one after the other with no apparent communication plan. It is not business savvy, and I am disappointed that a company so large and so apparently successful could simultaneously be so blind to the perception they are creating about themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is only the steaks and ribs with a price, and the sides are free (when ordered with an entree). That would make sense, anyway.

My thoughts as well. There will be some things a la carte or different prices for different entrees, but some of the meal will be included. This would fit in with many land restaurants, especially upscale ones. Appitizers and desserts are al a carte, the meal comes with salad, veggies, etc.

Edited by newmexicoNita

My thoughts as well. There will be some things a la carte or different prices for different entrees, but some of the meal will be included. This would fit in with many land restaurants, especially upscale ones. Appitizers and desserts are al a carte, the meal comes with salad, veggies, etc.

Most restaurants that I've eaten in the entree' normally includes the sides and the appetizers and desserts are extra. True a la carte dining is you pay for everything that you order (such as an upscale steak house that I went to in Dalls once, your steak did not come with anything else, you had to order each item individually and pay for it). It remains to be seen how NCL will handle this but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay for each item since that would make them more money, which is the crux of the matter.

Edited by sparks1093

Most restaurants that I've eaten in the entree' normally includes the sides and the appetizers and desserts are extra. True a la carte dining is you pay for everything that you order (such as an upscale steak house that I went to in Dalls once, your steak did not come with anything else, you had to order each item individually and pay for it). It remains to be seen how NCL will handle this but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay for each item since that would make them more money, which is the crux of the matter.
You're correct, upscale steakhouses are a la carte and everything is priced separately. Appetizers have a cost, entrées have a cost, sides have a cost, etc., I've never been to an upscale steakhouse where you just pay for your steak and everything else comes with it at no charge, that is more like the Outback and not an a la carte restaurant. I would think if NCL is going to go the route of an upscale steakhouse, it will truly be a la carte. Edited by NLH Arizona

I think you are right. If they price the meat at @ $35 and then give you complimentary potato and vege, you could skate out of there for about the same price as the cover charge now, and how would that benefit NCL? The idea is for them to maximize what you will spend. So, like at a Ruth's Chris, I think there will be a $ amount attached to everything on the menu. If there is anything on your plate besides the steak at a RC, it is more like a garnish rather than a vege.

IMO, the UDP even with Cagneys is close to a break even proposition for most cruisers because they are probably going to end up in the buffet or MDR or O'Sheehans at least once. Without Cagneys, forget it, at least at the current package price.

But, as I said earlier, I think the old UDP will be a thing of the past to be replaced by a Dining Package giving you $xx to apply where ever. You can blow it all quickly at Cagneys or Ocean Blue, or more slowly with the others, like the current $70 or is it $75 the promo includes now. Gone will be the days when passengers dined 4 or 5 nights or more at Cagneys with the UDP.

My question is why you would *not* believe this.

Room service fee - TRUE

Removal of free Cirque/Illusionarium from UDP - TRUE

Kids full price in specialty restaurants - TRUE

No taking food from restaurants to your room - TRUE

All these "rumors" were posted first here on CC and all are true. The guy who heard from a guy has a lot better communications track record than NCL at this point. Any communications from NCL has come well after many posters had confirmed these "rumors".

I don't know why NCL is choosing to do such a bad job of communicating all the changes, but IMO they are creating a lot of the uproar by not letting people know these things in a timely way.

My question is why you would *not* believe this.

Room service fee - TRUE

Removal of free Cirque/Illusionarium from UDP - TRUE

Kids full price in specialty restaurants - TRUE

No taking food from restaurants to your room - TRUE

All these "rumors" were posted first here on CC and all are true. The guy who heard from a guy has a lot better communications track record than NCL at this point. Any communications from NCL has come well after many posters had confirmed these "rumors".

I don't know why NCL is choosing to do such a bad job of communicating all the changes, but IMO they are creating a lot of the uproar by not letting people know these things in a timely way.

Because to Del Rio we're all just "social media flaks" whose opinions and cruising dollars don't matter. In his business model he doesn't care if the entirety of cruisecritic stopped cruising with him tommorrow. Well Del Rio, I have heard what you said and you won't have to deal with this "social media flak" onboard your ships anymore.

I sailed Getaway and loved Cagney's...so I purchased the UDP for my Nov 14 sailing on Escape. When I read on CC that Cagney's was going al la carte I called NCL to find out how it affected my UDP. I was told clearly and to the point, Cagney's is no longer part of the UDP...that I would pay to dine there.

I don't have an issue with increased costs, but to deny me what I paid for...that is a not ethical in my book.

As result, I will take my business else where.....cancelling 5 NCL cruises under deposit. This is just wrong...... after 36 years of cruising I have never had something taken away from me that I already paid for....and not even a courtesy notification of the change. With much regret I say good bye to NCL.

PS.....to the corporate guys, I have 5 Regent cruises and one Oceania cruise to my name.....I will refrain from sailing on these lines as well.

To each his own, but professional ethics are important to me......as is where I spend my hard earned dollars.

Because to Del Rio we're all just "social media flaks" whose opinions and cruising dollars don't matter. In his business model he doesn't care if the entirety of cruisecritic stopped cruising with him tommorrow. Well Del Rio, I have heard what you said and you won't have to deal with this "social media flak" onboard your ships anymore.
I don't think it is true that Mr. Del Rio thinks of us as "social media flakes" or doesn't care if the entire Cruise Critic community stop cruising. I think a company stops listening to social media when the messages gets convoluted. If you go back over the threads and read a lot of the posts, there is a lot of drama, which, if you think about it, that is not what a company cares about, because they deal in facts. If folks were just to put their opinions on here without name calling or vilifying the company or Mr. Del Rio, I believe that the concerns would be taken more seriously. I believe that a lot of really good posts in opposition to some of the new policies, especially the one about taking food back to the cabins, have been missed, because there is so much bad information, bad speculation, drama, name calling, etc. IMHO!