Your favorite "Water Shoes"

:) We have booked an excursion going to The Baths in Virgin Gorda in two months. It recommends a "water" type shoe. Something for giving you stability and protection as the terrain is rough in some places and you have to climb boulders. Curious to see what you guys have worn in the past. I don't think the typical water shoe like you can pick up at Target, Wal-Mart or Costco will fit the bill. :) Thanks!!

I love my Keen sandals. The ones I have are their Venice model. Totally waterproof, very comfortable and supportive. The toe cap protects your toes. You can go from walking and hiking to wading or swimming without missing a beat.

I will second the Keens. I have Keen Newport H2 and will bring them on my next cruise. Used them for river tubing in Belize last time where we had a half hour walk over gravel/uneven terrain to get to the launch point. They are good for active excursions requiring a water shoe. I wouldn't use them for a day at the beach/ just swimming, however. I wouldn't call them lightweight but they aren't heavy either. For the cruise, I had them in the bottom of my backpack and carried on the plane. I have a wide foot so I got mine in Men's size as they don't come in widths otherwise. They fit quite snugly on me, but no issues with blisters or anything like that.

Edited by Mistizoom

Love my Keen Newports. I've had mine for 5 years & wear them a lot but they still look new. I've had many foot surgeries & these give me the stability I need when hiking, climbing & paddleboarding

My Walmart water shoes were fine for The Baths. They had enough grip for the ladder and the pull-rope boulder.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks Daisyloo! I hadn't thought about looking at Keens. Would these be pretty lightweight also?

Yes they are quite lightweight. I have lots of trouble with my feet and have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable and supportive. My Keens are both.

I agree on the Keens! I've worn both the Venice and the Newport H2, and loved both. I was at Nordstrom Rack the other day and saw quite a few in the kids section for really great prices! I'm a women's 6 and can wear a kids 3, so depending on your size, you may be able to wear those!

REI also usually has some good deals on the less-than-popular colors. My philosophy is that they are weird looking shoes no matter what color I get, so I may as well get purple or whatever is on sale ;) I certainly am not wearing these for fashion, they are strictly for utility!

Yes they are quite lightweight. I have lots of trouble with my feet and have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable and supportive. My Keens are both.

Daisyloo, did you buy your shoes at a MEC store? I would love to find a pair of supportive shoes to wear in the water. The problem is (other than having artifical knees) is that my one ankle is fused so that I need a specific height difference between the front and back of the shoe. Can't take either a negative heel or where the foot is perfectly flat. I did buy a pair of Croc sandals in Hawaii that are perfect for getting me into a pool and then can be kicked off once I'm in but the beach and wading in the surf remains only a dream.

Sandy :)

• 1 month later...
:) We have booked an excursion going to The Baths in Virgin Gorda in two months. It recommends a "water" type shoe.

If this is the only time you need 'water shoes', don't bother buying an expensive pair. The path down to the first beach can be walked in any shoe except high heels! If you climb across the rocks along the water, you can do it in cheap shoes as well, for example old sneakers ready to be tossed.

And yes, the sand gets into my Keene shoes. I haven't worn them after our Galapagos cruise, but will take them to a Mekong cruise because they can be washed and dried without problems.

Daisyloo, did you buy your shoes at a MEC store? I would love to find a pair of supportive shoes to wear in the water. The problem is (other than having artifical knees) is that my one ankle is fused so that I need a specific height difference between the front and back of the shoe. Can't take either a negative heel or where the foot is perfectly flat. I did buy a pair of Croc sandals in Hawaii that are perfect for getting me into a pool and then can be kicked off once I'm in but the beach and wading in the surf remains only a dream.

Sandy :)

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I just saw your question today. No, I bought my first Keens at a local shoe store in Hamilton, Millers. I bought my second pair online directly from Keen Canada website. They had a sale on certain colours. Then just yesterday I ordered another pair from the website. They are the Newport H2 sandal -totally waterproof, again I picked a colour that was on sale. Free shipping.

If this is the only time you'll be wearing them, definitely go with a cheap pair!!!

I did the same excursion a couple years ago in cheap water shoes from Walmart and they were perfect! They were ridiculously comfortable as well - and the best part... They cost me about $6 or $8! They were also relatively "nice" looking - they were like ballerina flats with a Velcro strap across the top of the foot.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear some that I got from TJ Maxx - they are called Jambu Terra Tidal Marine Shoe. I found them for $24.99 - but they sell them on amazon as well, but, they're twice as much! Very comfy, and kinda cute too. Mine are light gray, with mint green straps. I even wear them here and there even when I'm not in the water!

Edited by wrcjr98
spelling

I like the Land's End water shoes. I have a couple pair in different styles. They have enough support to walk all day, be in the water and still be comfortable.

I have these also and really like them. They look like cute running shoes and don't scream "water shoes!!" For anyone looking, they are on sale right now!

I have these also and really like them. They look like cute running shoes and don't scream "water shoes!!" For anyone looking, they are on sale right now!

I have been wanting to get a new pair of water shoes. Right now I have the Lands End Maryjanes and I am always afraid they will fall off when snorkeling since they do not fit as securely as a traditional water shoe. I went to the LE website and they have great deals! Plus I used a coupon code, Birthday with pin 1616 and saved another 20%! I even bought 3 new sundresses for my next cruise! And a bikini top, tankini and swim skirt!

Thanks for the heads up on a great sale!

Lauri

I have been wanting to get a new pair of water shoes. Right now I have the Lands End Maryjanes and I am always afraid they will fall off when snorkeling since they do not fit as securely as a traditional water shoe. I went to the LE website and they have great deals! Plus I used a coupon code, Birthday with pin 1616 and saved another 20%! I even bought 3 new sundresses for my next cruise! And a bikini top, tankini and swim skirt!

Thanks for the heads up on a great sale!

Lauri

You're welcome! I got a few things myself. Some of it is going back, but the shoes were keepers!