FTTF conspiracy theory?

It's $1800.00 free money for the cruise line, without having an expense associated with it.

As I said before, big deal.

It is highly unlikely the cruise company is going to go through all the things alledged for $1800. Now, IF they are prepping the landscape to make Platinum choose whether to pay for a reduced fee priorty embark benefit (and remove it otherwide from the VIFP) in the future remains to be seen. That would sweeten up the pie, since they apparently have so many of them.

Edited by eponym

As I said before, big deal.

It is highly unlikely the cruise company is going to go through all the things alledged for $1800. Now, IF they are prepping the landscape to make Platinum choose whether to pay for a reduced fee priorty embark benefit (and remove it otherwide from the VIFP) in the future remains to be seen. That would sweeten up the pie, since they apparently have so many of them.

I find it interesting how can dismiss a few million extra in earnings without risk. I think that is how companies grow to have billions in assets.

Why would you worry about how they will gouge you in the future...you know that they will find a way to extract a few million more from the customers, just like every other company is.

The great thing about being a customer is that if you don't see value in your purchase you can choose to buy elsewhere.

I find it interesting how can dismiss a few million extra in earnings without risk. I think that is how companies grow to have billions in assets.

Why would you worry about how they will gouge you in the future...you know that they will find a way to extract a few million more from the customers, just like every other company is.

The great thing about being a customer is that if you don't see value in your purchase you can choose to buy elsewhere.

They don't need to jeopardize the good will of millions of passengers per year over the kind of money they are taking in under the current FTTF program. It's all capacity controlled. Not everyone can be checked into the hotel early.

I am not worried a bit how they may or may not gouge anyone the future. Where do you see that in my post? The thread is about FTTF conspiracy theory. It's not my thread. I wasn't the one complaining.

It isn't dimissing a couple of million dollars. It's that they claim to be at peak priority boarding capacity, and they have squeezed what they could from it, including a recent rate up for it.

If people want more priority boarding opportunity, it doesn't currently have the bandwidth.

My last point is that to make the dollar intake significant, they likely would have to change it's program of free priority boarding for one of the levels of free perks they currently offer. They COULD do that in the future by pulling the free perk from so many Platinums, and offering the Platinums a reduced priorty boarding (FTTF) program. Combines with the existing $1800, would push the revenue intake at the ship level much more significantly.

That's it. have a great evening.

Edited by eponym

I think I'm right!:mad:

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are right at all. I say this because I was able to snag one for the $49.95 price just weeks before they upped it to $59.95. If they cared that much about the extra $10, they would have waited to release it. But they didn't.

The reason that they don't release FTTF's right away is because they need to get an idea of how many Platinums and Diamonds are going to be on board first. So there is no set date for them to be released initially, and its contingent on how fast the cruise sells.

Edited by bakersdozen12

How does Customs control the line at guest services? FTTF is pure profit. They don't need to sell a ton of them, but multiply it across every sailing on every ship.... adds up.

I thought the OP was referring to the lines to get on the ship.

It is funny, that we have not experienced any really long lines except when we reported to the port at 1:30. When we arrived early, we got on the ship early. We have never had to wait in a real long line at customer service on the ship, maybe because we have had to go there much. But I am glad FTTF is a money maker but they never made any off me from it. We might buy it if we go to Half Moon Cay again since that is where we had to wait.

The reason that they don't release FTTF's right away is because they need to get an idea of how many Platinums and Diamonds are going to be on board first. So there is no set date for them to be released initially, and its contingent on how fast the cruise sells.

Exactly what I said above, but people don't want to believe that. They prefer to believe that Carnival is ripping them off.

Also, it does cost them some money, somewhere to have cabins ready early and the luggage expedited for all the priority boardings. Not sure what other perks are included that can connect to higher operating (expedited) costs. Maybe they have to bring in more cleaning people, etc from the local docks. Who knows. I don't care. I can say that we don't start spending much money until after we are settled into our cabins with our luggage. So there is a cost to having that delayed while having others expedited.

Edited by eponym

Yep. And, I said it in post #20.

We were 4 minutes apart in our posting. But it is true what 3 of said about it. This FTTF has been rehashed over and over again when it first came out. I've always said that it's not FTTF, but FTYW (Faster to Your Wallet). Those wanting on board to get the party started hands over their S&S card before others board and their debt has begun!

Edited by elliair

So I ran into a fellow FTTF hater on the Breeze and he made an interesting point. OK so it's more like a conspiracy theory. The theorist complains that Carnival intentionally keeps lines long, tendering processes slow, and rooms unavailable to keep demand for FTTF high.

While I doubt his theory of the intentional delays, he does have a point- if people are willing to pay for FTTF what incentive does Carnival have to improve these choke points that cause people to buy the convenience in the first place? Why should Carnival try to reduce lines at GS by hiring more staff for example, when they simply say "the long lines are a problem, and here is a way around the problem, if you pay for it."

Not only do they get to avoid fixing a problem, but they gain a new revenue stream at the same time. Genius!

Do you really believe this crock of "stuff"? There are a limited number of FTTF places sold on each ship based on the number of Platinum and Diamond members sailing on that ship. To wrap this into a conspiracy theory shows you just how lame those "theorists" are as well as how lame the people who put any credence in this crap are.

There's also the conspiracy that Cruise Lines want to get us to drink more alcohol so they put bars everywhere on there ship's. Idk if you heard that one but I'm pretty sure it's true.

FTTF conspiracy :confused:

Edited by theriac

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are right at all. I say this because I was able to snag one for the $49.95 price just weeks before they upped it to $59.95. If they cared that much about the extra $10, they would have waited to release it. But they didn't.

You missed my point. Yours was already on sale when they decided to raise the price.

As to your other point, unless they changed from the original promotion, they were supposed to release 15 cabins when excursion booking was opened. Then they may or may not release more due to Plats and Diamonds sailing on that sailing.

It's $1800.00 free money for the cruise line, without having an expense associated with it.

Any business person knows, there are very few things implemented in a company that have no costs associated with them. I am quite sure the FTTF stickers for the luggage and cards are not printed free. I am sure there are increased costs for luggage handlers, ect...extra staff for tenders ect...

Rarely anything is free, including FTTF for Carnival:D:D

Any business person knows, there are very few things implemented in a company that have no costs associated with them. I am quite sure the FTTF stickers for the luggage and cards are not printed free. I am sure there are increased costs for luggage handlers, ect...extra staff for tenders ect...

That's correct, 15-30 card stickers per cruise is going to over burden the company with expenses. The FTTF luggage tags are vastly printed by the customer along with their boarding pass. Why would there be an increase in luggage handlers? There's no more luggage than there would be otherwise. The only difference is in who's luggage is handled first. Extra staff for tenders? Why, no more people going to shore and back than any other time. I have no idea how etc will be increased, do you?

It is my theory FTTF actually helps the lines at guest services.

Every person that is helped at the plat/dia, FTTF line, is one less person in the reg line.

Except that when the desk is not fully staffed, they call people over from the expedited line in front of the people in the reg line.

As for lines and waiting, IMO half of it is the passenger's faults. Can't tell you how many times I have seen people scrambling for their paperwork AFTER they get up to the desk (at check in) even thought they have walked past 18 people telling them to have all their documents out.

I think y'all are missing the bigger picture. The other cruise lines don't make a profit center out of the line and crowd problem. They fix the problem.

Crowd control is non existent on Carnival, and they don't seem interested in fixing it, at literally OUR expense.

Try a professional line, and see how well things are supposed to work.

I think y'all are missing the bigger picture. The other cruise lines don't make a profit center out of the line and crowd problem. They fix the problem.

Crowd control is non existent on Carnival, and they don't seem interested in fixing it, at literally OUR expense.

You got it! I think the conspiracy theory is hogwash, but FTTF is exactly that. Turning a profit center out of problems they refuse to try and fix.

What will be next?

FTTF- (faster to the food) skip the buffet line

FTTS- (faster to the sun) Priority deck chairs next to the pool?

I have a friend who owns a shooting range which is very busy on Saturdays. He had no competition in the entire county. I'll suggest he cut his staff on Saturday to save money. When customers complain about the long lines he can sell priority passes to skip the line. We'll call it "faster to the gun."

What do you consider a "professional" line? Something more expensive, like Disney? Been on them four times and guess what, the lines at GS got long on those ships too depending on when you when you went to the desk. Couple of times on HAL also, same situation. It's not exclusive to Carnival.

Companies like CCL are in business to make a profit and answer to their shareholders, which are always looking for those profits to increase. Adding additional staff to the desk will increase costs and reduce profits so what happens, the price of the cruise for everyone goes up to cover the additional expense. You want more service then you're going to have to pay for it, one way or another.

As for FTTF, seems pretty simple to me, if you don't like the product or the price don't buy it. What difference does it make to anyone if another person chooses to make that purchase? Besides, they might possibly be saving you money in the long run.

plus the infrastructure on their website and internal systems to allow pax to be able to order FTTF in the first place...