Taking Golf Clubs

ukgolfmad

On a previous cruise a British guy was always winding me up with wise cracks. Asked him what he had been doing that day and he replied playing golf. I said I didnt fancy playing with rented Clubs. He then said he had brought his own.

I thought it was just another wind-up but someone else at my Golf Club reckons he has seen people getting on and off the ship with golf bags.

If someone could shed some light I would be very grateful. Where can you store the Clubs, is there hassle with security getting on and off etc.

I have taken my clubs, 2 times, but never used them :eek:. I am a golf nut, but have not found the time to play while on a cruise. And, I will not play with rental clubs :eek:

As to storage, I brought a small bag, and stood them in a corner of the cabin. No problems.

If i was cruising your part of the world, I would have to bring them.

I've taken my golf clubs onboard several times. I don't check them with the luggage people out front, but pull them along straight to our Cabin. Storage is not a problem.

I've played most courses in the Caribbean and the Mid-Ocean Club in Bermuda.(played Bethpage Black pre-cruise in NY)

Last spring we took a coastal California cruise and played in Monterey, San Francisco and Santa Barbara.

Many cruises would make an excellent Golf Trip for a group.

Why pay all that money to play an upscale course and use expensive (rental cost) rental clubs?

PS -- I always travel with a smaller "carry golf bag" and my Club Glove travel* soft case.

(*made in the USA -- high quality; in fact we also have some of their luggage pieces)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

On a previous cruise a British guy was always winding me up with wise cracks. Asked him what he had been doing that day and he replied playing golf. I said I didnt fancy playing with rented Clubs. He then said he had brought his own.

I thought it was just another wind-up but someone else at my Golf Club reckons he has seen people getting on and off the ship with golf bags.

If someone could shed some light I would be very grateful. Where can you store the Clubs, is there hassle with security getting on and off etc.

As if I would wind you up .[emoji33]

I remember this very well . Pleased I got you though. Perhaps it was when I told you that I had a hole in one that morning ? especially as jt was New Years Day [emoji41]

Cannot believe you are on here - you said you only looked !

My son and I took a Boys Only cruise. We do have "Travel Cases" for our clubs.

Took our own clubs. Just sat them in the corner of the cabin. Every port day, just grabbed our clubs and off the ship we'd go.

I've taken my golf clubs onboard several times. I don't check them with the luggage people out front, but pull them along straight to our Cabin. Storage is not a problem.

I've played most courses in the Caribbean and the Mid-Ocean Club in Bermuda.(played Bethpage Black pre-cruise in NY)

Last spring we took a coastal California cruise and played in Monterey, San Francisco and Santa Barbara.

Many cruises would make an excellent Golf Trip for a group.

Why pay all that money to play an upscale course and use expensive (rental cost) rental clubs?

PS -- I always travel with a smaller "carry golf bag" and my Club Glove travel* soft case.

(*made in the USA -- high quality; in fact we also have some of their luggage pieces)

Enjoy!

Kel

In a couple if weeks time we will meet up I hope .

You have to tell me all about Bethpage Black Kel . I am so envious [emoji33]

Played Torrey Pines few years ago but dint think its anywhere near as good as Bethpage.

Kel

In a couple if weeks time we will meet up I hope .

You have to tell me all about Bethpage Black Kel . I am so envious [emoji33]

Played Torrey Pines few years ago but dint think its anywhere near as good as Bethpage.

Hi Chris,

I've always believed that Torrey Pines is over-rated and a hassle to get on. Bethpage makes you jump through a bunch of hoops to get on the black course, but a fair system and it was worth it. Not the monster I thought it would be, but all you could handle.

Chambers Bay, where the US open is going to be held this year, is the most difficult course I've played. Very "Brititsh Open" like course, on the water, one tree, and a train track between the course and the ocean. Five par fours over 500 yards. In the wind, the course will beat you up!!:eek:

Next to travel, golf is my passion. I try to link our travel to as much golf as possible. Lauren does not play, but she likes that I do. To me, Bandon Dunes in Oregon, is the best US golf experience. Sort of like Scotland meets Pebble Beach.

I've only played the New Course in St Andrews (rental clubs), but would love to do a UK golf trip. Some day! How's the golf in the Cumbria area? Great Parklands area?

See you in less than three weeks!

• 1 month later...

I have taken clubs on 2 of the prior 8 cruise we have done over the last 20 years & will likely be taking them to Hawaii. You basically check them in with the ship and the ship holds them for you just like your local club would. I have a heavy OGIO bag (more like an indestructible hunk of VERY solid ABS plastic). Schedule your golf and they have them waiting for you or may even send them from the ship to course for your arrival. One of my favorite was the devil's triangle at Mahogany Run on St' Thomas.

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/

We are booked for POA's 7/25th departure and I am trying to get onto the Plantation Course @ Kapalua.

However, there is now a new alternative. You can have your clubs shipped anywhere in the world (apparently) using a company called "Ship Sticks". We've used them for snow skis (we are racing competitors) and never had a single issue. Always there ready and you don't have to haul them through the airports.

Now having stated all this. The clubs hardly matter. I am going to shoot between 75 & 85 no matter if I am playing with my clubs, your clubs, ladies clubs or even left handed. Yes, I have both lefty and righty clubs. My dad was left handed & I learned with his clubs when I was about 10. I am right..mostly...LOL

Yes.. EVER golfer has experienced my moniker...

N...Da...Bunka = In the Bunker

Edited by ndabunka