Why is RCCL no longer in NOLA?

As you can see from my signature, all of our cruises have been with Carnival to this point. I would love to give RCCL a try but they are no longer sailing out of NOLA. Since we live about 3 to 3.5 hours from there, it's the most convenient port from which to sail. Does anyone know why Carnival and Norwegian are now the only two lines sailing from there? Does RCCL plan to come back?

TIA for your comments.

I've not heard of any future plans for Royal to come back to New Orleans.

Basically, Royal has a limited number of ships, and puts them in the places they think have the potential for the most profit. Other ports are higher on the list than New Orleans right now.

Edited by clarea

As you can see from my signature, all of our cruises have been with Carnival to this point. I would love to give RCCL a try but they are no longer sailing out of NOLA. Since we live about 3 to 3.5 hours from there, it's the most convenient port from which to sail. Does anyone know why Carnival and Norwegian are now the only two lines sailing from there? Does RCCL plan to come back?

TIA for your comments.

I don't think there is a solid consensus answer on this one.

NOLA is doing well as a cruise port:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/11317928-123/port-of-new-orleans-tops

so I do not think that is the issue.

However, the Asian market is really growing and that could be the reason. See this article:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/06/royal_caribbean_to_leave_port.html

It is possible they could come back. I have heard some people mention that there might be a new cruise terminal (from a renovated building) added in New Orleans a little down river from the current two terminals but I do not know if there is any truth to that or not.

Since we live about 3 to 3.5 hours from there, it's the most convenient port from which to sail.

Galveston would probably be an option for you as well when it comes to driving. (depending on where you are in MS.)

TIA for your comments.

I am upset about this as well. We have done extended family trips for the past two years, and everyone is complaining about having to get to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise this summer (but it had the best itinerary of ports that were new to everyone). They all want to sail out of NOLA (they're in Pensacola Beach, Florida, so it's an easy drive, while we're in Atlanta, so it's pretty far for us no matter whether it's NOLA, Pt Can, or Ft Laud), so I guess we'll be doing the Carnival Dream next summer since it will be the only ship there. I would love to know what you think of it since I see you are sailing on it in November.

However, the Asian market is really growing and that could be the reason. See this article:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2014/06/royal_caribbean_to_leave_port.html

It is possible they could come back. I have heard some people mention that there might be a new cruise terminal (from a renovated building) added in New Orleans a little down river from the current two terminals but I do not know if there is any truth to that or not.

New Orleans and Galveston voyages seem to generate more discounts than east coast ports. That's my very unscientific observation

New Orleans and Galveston voyages seem to generate more discounts than east coast ports. That's my very unscientific observation

I suppose it doesn't help that Carnival has 2 of their 3 newest ships in NOLA and Galveston and routinely have balcony cabin pricing at the $700-$800 range.

I was on the last New Orleans round-trip sailing of the Serenade. Someone asked about this topic in the "Captain's Corner" discussion. The answer was basically that there are no current plans to return to New Orleans, but that he (the Captain) would be surprised if they didn't have a ship back in New Orleans at some point in the future.

Just because the port is doing well that is no indication of how well the lines are doing that operate out of those ports.

I agree with John that I have seen some very low prices out of NO that RCI I had to resort to in order to fill the ship.

That does not mean that the ship was not profitable operating out of NO just that they could make more profit by deploying elsewhere.

I've noticed the same. If it wasn't a headache that costs $100 for a private car/taxi or $50 for a shared van to get from Galveston to the port I would cruise out of there. As it stands its not worth the hassle for me. :D

Edited by cruisevv

I agree with your observation and have further noticed that the Galveston cruises went up in price after Seranade left New Orleans

Paul

I've noticed the same. If it wasn't a headache that costs $100 for a private car/taxi or $50 for a shared van to get from Galveston to the port I would cruise out there. As it stands its not worth the hassle for me. :D

We cruised out of Galveston once 10 years ago. Took Celebrity shuttle from Bush. Seemed like an eternity to get there. Orlando to PC is quite a haul as well I guess, but didn't seem quite as long

Edited by John&LaLa

Suggests they couldn't fill the ships. It's probably more for connection reasons, I don't know many airlines (if any) that fly from this side of the Atlantic to New Orleans or nearby, whereas most do Orlando/Miami so the international cruisers are out the window. For US based cruisers it doesn't make much sense as I'm sure New Orleans is as well connected to the rest of the states as Miami

We cruised out of Galveston once 10 years ago. Took Celebrity shuttle from Bush. Seemed like an eternity to get there. Orlando to PC is quite a haul as well I guess, but didn't seem quite as long

Orlando to PC is not as long as Bush to Galveston, and there's usually very little traffic on the route to PC.

Just because the port is doing well that is no indication of how well the lines are doing that operate out of those ports.

I agree with John that I have seen some very low prices out of NO that RCI I had to resort to in order to fill the ship.

That does not mean that the ship was not profitable operating out of NO just that they could make more profit by deploying elsewhere.

Of course. However, I am just pointing out how much cruise passenger traffic there is in NOLA.

We keep hearing about China but looking at the numbers they are only predicted to do 1 Million passengers this year which is what NOLA did last year.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/carnival-royal-caribbean-china/

Of course they are expected the largest growth their as some people say that the U.S. market for cruise passengers is at its peak.

Galveston would probably be an option for you as well when it comes to driving. (depending on where you are in MS.)

We've considered this. Hopefully we can do this next year.

I find it hard to believe that RCCL would pull out because of lack of revenue. Carnival has two ships that sail from NOLA and Norwegian still sails from there, as well. I hope that RCCL will reconsider and return to NOLA in the future. If not, it certainly looks like we may have to head to TX to sail with them.

We've considered this. Hopefully we can do this next year.

I find it hard to believe that RCCL would pull out because of lack of revenue. Carnival has two ships that sail from NOLA and Norwegian still sails from there, as well. I hope that RCCL will reconsider and return to NOLA in the future. If not, it certainly looks like we may have to head to TX to sail with them.

Yes, Carnival is actually pulling the Elation and replacing it with a bigger ship: Triumph.

Carnival is bullish on NOLA. RCCL, apparently not. :)

Yes, Carnival is actually pulling the Elation and replacing it with a bigger ship: Triumph.

I've seen that and I'm so excited to have something other than a Fantasy class ship! We sailed on the Triumph is 2010 and enjoyed her. While I would love to see the Sunshine return to NOLA, I'm excited about this swap.

I find it hard to believe that RCCL would pull out because of lack of revenue.

It is all about choices. Royal has a limited number of ports, and a multitude of port cities to choose from, and they will never make everyone happy. People in TX are upset because there aren't enough cruise choices from Galveston, people in NOLA are upset because there aren't enough cruise choices there, same with Jacksonville, Baltimore, Charleston, Bayonne etc. Even places with a relatively large number of ships draw complaints because they don't have the really big ships or they don't have the really small ships or they don't have the new ships or the ships from this class or that class or whatever. And everyone feels justified in explaining why THEIR particular city should have more cruise ships and/or why THEIR particular choice of ship or ship class should sail from their city.

Any maybe New Orleans IS doing well with the ships that are there, but what happens if another ship joins the mix? Is there enough demand to meet the increased supply of cabins, or would all the ships have to lower prices to fill those cabins? Maybe Royal simply prefers not to take that gamble, and to stay with ports that are more of a sure thing in their experience.

People in TX are upset because there aren't enough cruise choices from Galveston, people in NOLA are upset because there aren't enough cruise choices there, same with Jacksonville, Baltimore, Charleston, Bayonne etc. Even places with a relatively large number of ships draw complaints because they don't have the really big ships or they don't have the really small ships or they don't have the new ships or the ships from this class or that class or whatever. And everyone feels justified in explaining why THEIR particular city should have more cruise ships and/or why THEIR particular choice of ship or ship class should sail from their city.

I agree completely - I think Columbus Ohio should get the newest cruise ship! :D

I sailed out of Galveston in 2014 and 90% of the passengers were from Texas. The most common question we were asked with a surprise in their voice was "Why did you sail out of Texas?". The easiest answer is that no matter what cruise we want to take we have to fly to the port and therefore it didn't matter which port we chose.

For those to the south or east, just be thankful that you are close enough to drive and your vacation doesn't increase by $400pp just to get you to your ship and back again.

I did the last Royal cruise out of NOLA on the Serenade to Boston cruise this past April.

Rumor was that Celebrity will be sailing out of NOLA.

We are booked on a Feb 2017 X cruise that will be docked in Nola during Mardi Gras for 3 days. It arrives Sunday and pulls out the evening of Fat Tuesday, I believe it is now listed as sold out but it does sail from Ft Lauderdale not NOLA.

It sold fast selling out in about 2 weeks and it was not a cheap cruise but did have a 123 package on Concierge and above.

X is to be docked on the River walk during the Mardi Gras stay.

There is a new cruise port up river that is planned to be opened by that time.

If X starts cruising out of Nola I guess it will draw a different cruising clientele?