Why is RCCL no longer in NOLA?

The problem with Galveston is its geography. There's only so many places you can go in the typical seven night trip. I'm hoping someone will start offering longer cruises on a regular basis. As it is, Carnival is bringing a third ship (Carnival Freedom) and Royal is upsizing to Liberty OTS. Houston has seasonal offerings from NCL, Princess and sometimes Disney so it's looking pretty good.

Sad they have left NOLA. I am sure it's all about the Benjamins.

I would definitely sail Royal out of NOLA again if it were an option.

Could very well be a pure money decision. Maybe they cannot get the pricing they want there with Carnival and Norwegian in competition. They left once before and came back so we shall see. :)

Celebrity will be sailing out of NOLA in 2017

I wish it where true, I can't find anything to support it. :(

They have one cruise that is R/T from Ft Lauderdale that visits New Orleans for Marde Gras.

We would book a NOLA in a heartbeat

RCCL will be back someday. Years ago the Granduer cruised out of there and pulled out for a few years. Then they returned with the Voyager ships and the Serenade.

I've cruised out of NOLA many times on RCCL, Princess and Carnival. Princess did pull out for revenue reasons. It was hard to fill the ship and they deep discounted fares. I was on one of their last sailings and that's what they told us.

I hope RCCL returns soon. Celebrity would be a good alternative. I went on the Carnival Dream last year and it didn't compare. It is better than nothing I suppose and it is relatively a cheap cruise. But it will be a while before we cruise out of NOLA until they bring in alternative line besides Carnival and NCL.

There is a new cruise port up river that is planned to be opened by that time.

I hope they don't plan on putting one in up around the bend where Princess used to sail out of. They talked about putting one there years ago. It was a horrible location where it took driving through a residential area. It caused major traffic issues.

A Mardi gras cruise should be a blast

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Forums mobile app

Why did NOLA chose to be so far from the destination ports? If you find the answer to that, you'll likely find the answer to your question.

That's another good point. People also complain about cruises always going to the same old ports, but if a ship is leaving from NOLA or Galveston, it's virtually impossible to do an eastern or southern itinerary unless the cruise is 10 days or more.

I was on the last cruise out of New Orleans at 1630 11 April 2015 to Boston on Serenade of the Seas.

At 2215 sailing along the Mississippi River the Serenade did a 180 turn and dropped anchor for 12 hours. I was in the MDR for lunch Sunday when we left the Mississippi for the Sea. Grand Cayman was stilled reached on time Tuesday. We only reached 19 knots to pick up time.

2 cargo ships got into trouble in different spots and the rescue mission by the tugs did not go to plan.

Also don't forget about the new emission control areas. Unless the ship is a gas turbine or has scrubbers installed, the trips up and down the river would have to be done using expensive low-sulfer fuel. There aren't many of them right now, so perhaps it's those that are more profitable being elsewhere, and once more of the fleet has scrubbers installed RCCL will be back.

I hope they don't plan on putting one in up around the bend where Princess used to sail out of. They talked about putting one there years ago. It was a horrible location where it took driving through a residential area. It caused major traffic issues.

A Mardi gras cruise should be a blast

Worst fears may be confirmed the new port for cruise ships in Nola is supposed to be the Poland St wharf facilities which are to be made operational in the next few years.

Viking River cruises will be cruising the Mississippi by that time as well and they may be located there though they may Dock by the Natchez slip which would not be conducive for passengers boarding with luggage but who knows.

It will take a bit of a hike to get to the French Quarter from Poland if it becomes the go to wharf.

This may be why Royal pulled out if they were getting bumped from the River walk?

The Celebrity Equinox is to dock at the Poland wharf for a few hours on Feb 26th 2017 and then move in the afternoon and dock for the balance of the three days at the River walk. There was an uproar when pax learned about Poland and that they may be stuck there for three days.

I just checked the price and a balcony is listed at $4,239.00USD per person! I got a Concierge for $2,400.00pp with a 123 promotion when it was 1st released which is the inside price now!

I assume as the Port gets busier they require more docking space.

Seems they will continue to juggle ships at the River walk.

I think it is totally monetary. When RCI returned to NOLA originally, it was with the Voyager class then it changed to the Radiance class now it is nothing.

We are cruising out of Galveston next March booking a balcony D3 and inside M cabins on the Liberty. Would love to sail on the Freedom out of PC on an Eastern Caribbean, but the same two cabins are almost $500.00 more. Galveston and NOLA just are not lucrative enough for the cruise line if they same class ship is sailing for $500.00 less for four people then a Florida port.

The problem with Galveston is its geography. There's only so many places you can go in the typical seven night trip. I'm hoping someone will start offering longer cruises on a regular basis. As it is, Carnival is bringing a third ship (Carnival Freedom) and Royal is upsizing to Liberty OTS. Houston has seasonal offerings from NCL, Princess and sometimes Disney so it's looking pretty good.

Princess and Carnival have announced longer trips out of Houston/Galveston.

I agree completely - I think Columbus Ohio should get the newest cruise ship! :D

For those to the south or east, just be thankful that you are close enough to drive and your vacation doesn't increase by $400pp just to get you to your ship and back again.

Agreed. We are in Kentucky .