FlowRider - Boogie Version Safe?

Thanks for the replies. For all I know, DS10 won't even want to try it. He's a cautious kid and won't even ride a bike cause he doesn't want to fall (but loves his scooter). My DD6.5 won't be tall enough.

But true what was said...any sport has risk of injuries.

Is there a height restriction? Last cruise I was on there were some pretty small kids on it.

Honestly, this may sound harsh and I don't mean to be, but if you have to worry about getting injured on every little thing, you might as well just stay in your home. The flowrider is pretty much the most popular thing on the ship for 10 year olds. I can't imagine ever telling a child that they can't experience it for fear of getting hurt.

I've done it several times and have wiped out a lot. The worst I have gotten was a scrape from the part toward the back. You just need to know how to fall (something I learned playing sports and doing "dangerous" things as a kid).

Is there a height restriction? Last cruise I was on there were some pretty small kids on it.

Yes, there is a height restriction. My 10yo DS could do the boogie boarding last year, but 8yo DD couldn't.

Honestly, this may sound harsh and I don't mean to be, but if you have to worry about getting injured on every little thing, you might as well just stay in your home. The flowrider is pretty much the most popular thing on the ship for 10 year olds. I can't imagine ever telling a child that they can't experience it for fear of getting hurt.

I've done it several times and have wiped out a lot. The worst I have gotten was a scrape from the part toward the back. You just need to know how to fall (something I learned playing sports and doing "dangerous" things as a kid).

I agree. I would think the odds are better (worse?) being hurt in a car accident.

As far as water in your face, I also wear contacts and had no problem. Of course, I didn't spend much time on my stomach before getting up on my knees.

I disagree with waiting until the end of the cruise so it won't ruin the vacation. What happens if you find out you (or your son) like it so much and then you won't have as much time to do it?

The lines will just get worse as the cruise goes on which means you won't have as much time on the board.

Q: What kinds of restrictions are there for activities?

A: Activities may have age, height, and/or weight restrictions. Guests participating in the FlowRider®, for example, must be at least 52"/132 cm tall to use the bodyboard and 58"/147 cm tall to use the flowboard. Rock climbers must be at least 6 years old, and climbers under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Please see each individual activity's waiver for restrictions and requirements.

I am 50 years old and just got off the NOS. I probably did the flowrider(stand up) 15 to 20 times on this cruise. If you let your kids go to a trampoline park they should be good on this thing. I found one at a local sports store that I need to go "train" on. It is fun!

From what I've heard on here, you must be x tall to be able to do the standing version and y height to do the boogie version. Don't remember x and y values offhand, but at the time noted that DS10 will be tall enough for boogie only and DD6.5 not tall enough.

Didn't mean to give the impression that we won't let DS go on...just want to know myself how safe it is.

Hmmm..as for knowing how to fall, wouldn't it happen so fast you have no control. I.e. If you're falling to begin with

And they are VERY strict about the height requirements. I have seen several meltdowns of kids who are close but not quite tall enough. One of them *might* have been our youngest years ago. [emoji23][emoji23]

And they are VERY strict about the height requirements. I have seen several meltdowns of kids who are close but not quite tall enough. One of them *might* have been our youngest years ago. [emoji23][emoji23]

So sorry...must have been hard on your little one to be turned away. But it must be a safety reason for the restriction.

So sorry...must have been hard on your little one to be turned away. But it must be a safety reason for the restriction.

Our son was in the same position this March. With his crocs on he was tall enough to boogie board, and when the sports desk staff said to remove them he was 1/4" short of the mark. We know the sports desk staff very well. They said sorry as the rules are for safety and nor did we push their decision.

You could see our DS holding in the tears, but as we told him next March he will be tall enough. He just turned 8 this May, and is tall for his age. I personally I think another year will do him some good, as I don't want him to wipe-out and be scared to try it again.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Our son was in the same position this March. With his crocs on he was tall enough to boogie board, and when the sports desk staff said to remove them he was 1/4" short of the mark. We know the sports desk staff very well. They said sorry as the rules are for safety and nor did we push their decision.

You could see our DS holding in the tears, but as we told him next March he will be tall enough. He just turned 8 this May, and is tall for his age. I personally I think another year will do him some good, as I don't want him to wipe-out and be scared to try it again.

Same for my youngest, although he was 10 at the time. Nothing worse than being in a family of Flowrider fanatics and not being able to do it on the cruises that the family mainly takes to go Flowriding. He tried the wearing Crocs route as well, and his hair was above the line, but top of his head was just below. Now 2+ years later he's tall enough and usually the best boogie boarder on the ship. The challenge now is to get him to 58" so he can do stand-up as well. He was 56" in March, but has shot up to 57" and the next cruise is October. He's already pretty good at doing it at the on-shore Flowriders, so we can all forget about winning Best of the Best once he hits 58".

Was hoping they would install the waterslides on Allure during dry dock but didn't happen...so back to thoughts of trying the FlowRider. It looks like fun, but I'm a big chicken for myself and for my DS10 to try it (I'm a worrier).

If we did try it, it would be boogie version only. I know there are no guarantees, but is the chance of getting hurt minimal if we stay on our tummy or knees? It seems like there is not to far to fall compared with the stand up version and aside from getting water up our nose, we most likely wouldn't get hurt. Agree?

It's a "sport" and you must sign a "waiver". Just like all sports, you have a chance of getting hurt. The ship has multiple ways of getting hurt. Examples are rock climbing, ice skating, basketball, soccer, swimming, zip line just to name a few.

My son scraped his knee ice skating....and survived to tell about it.

I cracked my tailbone while boogie boarding. Falling was not the problem. Hitting my backside on the wall at the back is what hurt! It is all in how you hit that wall. I had no issues at all during the dozens of other times I did it.