Manhattan or Brooklyn pier?

I see the fall sailings to Canada/New England say Manhattan or Brooklyn pier. I'm not very familiar with New York, but would both sail by the Statue of Liberty? And how far in advance would it be announced which pier they will be using?

Probably Brooklyn - you can check out the schedule at http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/.

We were at Brooklyn on our Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise last fall. The view was outstanding of lower Manhattan. While we didn't sail past the Statue of Liberty it was in view for a long time as we turned out to sea under the Verrazano Bridge. In our case, the ship docked heading out (instead of up the East River) and we had a starboard balcony so the view was exceptional. It was a beautiful day too so our pictures look like post cards!

Usually it is the Brooklyn Pier. You are looking straight across from the Statue when the ship is still at the pier and you sail by it. Got beautiful photos right from the ship when still in pier.

When returning to Brooklyn at the end of the cruise, sailing in really early, the Statue is a gorgeous sight to see.

Also the most incredible view from lower Manhattan . I have fabulous photos taken also while still at the pier. I love the Brooklyn location. People will tell you the neighborhood is unsafe but we got there the night before the cruise and stayed at hotel a couple of blocks away. In the morning the hotel's shuttle took us to the pier.

Our cruise from NYC last October was from Brooklyn's Red Hook cruise terminal & we could view lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

On another cruise we were in-transit (Quebec to Ft Lauderdale) for the day & we docked in Manhattan and also saw the Statue of Liberty & more of Manhattan.

That apparently is how Princess usually decides which pier...Brooklyn for embarkation/disembarkation and Manhattan when in-transit.

You could search online for a website to confirm which pier your ship will use.

Like 'san diego sue', we arrived the night before & we stayed at the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal & took their free shuttle a couple of minutes to the cruise terminal. We arrived early (about 10:00-ish) to beat the crowds & traffic that others cautioned us about. :)

For less than $40 by using their online discount coupon, Carmel took us from JFK to our hotel...very reliable & quick by booking in advance.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That apparently is how Princess usually decides which pier...Brooklyn for embarkation/disembarkation and Manhattan when in-transit.

We were in-transit and docked in Brooklyn. I think if there is no other ship using Red Hook, the in-transit cruises dock there and not Manhattan. We had been hoping for Manhattan for sightseeing convenience but we had no issue with the view at Red Hook. Now if we had been on the other side of the ship, overlooking Brooklyn instead of Manhattan from our balcony would have meant not sitting on the balcony but going up on deck.

Not necessarily, I was on a repositioning Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and we docked at Brooklyn. It probably depends on the schedule, amount of ships going to be in port.

It was late Fall 2013, Emerald Princess, not that long ago, I think it depends on the schedule, amount of ships going to be in port.

We were in-transit and docked in Brooklyn. I think if there is no other ship using Red Hook, the in-transit cruises dock there and not Manhattan. We had been hoping for Manhattan for sightseeing convenience but we had no issue with the view at Red Hook. Now if we had been on the other side of the ship, overlooking Brooklyn instead of Manhattan from our balcony would have meant not sitting on the balcony but going up on deck.

We were also on the starboard side of the ship & able to enjoy the views from our balcony sailing from Red Hook. :)

Not necessarily, I was on a repositioning Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and we docked at Brooklyn. It probably depends on the schedule, amount of ships going to be in port.

It was late Fall 2013, Emerald Princess, not that long ago, I think it depends on the schedule, amount of ships going to be in port.

Our in-transit between Quebec & FLL was in October 2011 so your experiences are more recent.

In October 2005 we sailed roundtrip from Manhattan to NE/Canada but that might be before Red Hook was being used.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I see the fall sailings to Canada/New England say Manhattan or Brooklyn pier. I'm not very familiar with New York, but would both sail by the Statue of Liberty? And how far in advance would it be announced which pier they will be using?

If you go on the cruise, I highly recommend the Lulu Lobsterboat excursion out of Bar Harbor, ME. My wife and I went on it last Fall and Capt. John will amaze you with all the stuff he will teach you about lobsters!

Tom

Google Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and you'll get a good map that will help orient you. The terminal is across from Governor's Island. The Statue of Liberty is west of Governor's Island near the New Jersey shore. Lower Manhattan is north.

If Cunard (QE) is due in, it cannot fit in the Manhattan piersince is approx. 350+ feet too long so it will dock in Red Hook thereby pushing the Princess ship to Manhattan instead.

Red Hook is a fantastic location since it is right across the Statue of Liberty. You could not ask for a better view of it. And then we the ship leaves, you get the view of lower Manhattan.

The other advantage of Red Hook is that there is only one ship and one cruise line unlike Manhattan.

MARAPRINCE

If Cunard (QE) is due in, it cannot fit in the Manhattan piersince is approx. 350+ feet too long so it will dock in Red Hook thereby pushing the Princess ship to Manhattan instead.

MARAPRINCE

Back in 2005 the longer QM2 (1132') was at the Manhattan pier next to us on the Golden Princess (950')...what has changed since then that makes the QE (965') now too long?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Back in 2005 the longer QM2 (1132') was at the Manhattan pier next to us on the Golden Princess (950')...what has changed since then that makes the QE (965') now too long?

I agree, the France/Norway at 1035 ft docked there many times too.

Last September, on a busy New York Harbor Saturday, QM2 was in Manhattan while Royal Princess docked at Red Hook.

I agree, the France/Norway at 1035 ft docked there many times too.

I wasn't sure if things had changed since my 2005 experience & that Manhattan piers were now unable to handle such ships.

Last September, on a busy New York Harbor Saturday, QM2 was in Manhattan while Royal Princess docked at Red Hook.

Thanks for the info that the QM2 still goes to Manhattan...I didn't think the pier became too short to be able to berth the QE at 965' long. ;)

MYes. It was a temporary situation and before the Red Hook pier was opened. I was leaving on a Holland America ship docked right next to the QM2 and walked to the very back of my ship and took a photo to show how much longer the QM2 actually was.

Normally, the QM2 will dock in Manhattan if the ship is in transit since it is easier for the tour buses.

The Saturday in question was an exception since the Princess cruise originally left from Red Hook. There were several things going on that day that caused traffic to be almost a bottle neck. Passengers did not know of the change before boarding but were told during the sailing. As you can imagine, this cause problems for some who had previously arranged car service pickups from Red Hook.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Like 'san diego sue', we arrived the night before & we stayed at the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal & took their free shuttle a couple of minutes to the cruise terminal. We arrived early (about 10:00-ish) to beat the crowds & traffic that others cautioned us about. :)

What was your opinion of the hotel? Trip Advisor is all over the place with their reviews. I know the hotel is in an industrial area, but any bars or restaurants in the area?

What was your opinion of the hotel? Trip Advisor is all over the place with their reviews. I know the hotel is in an industrial area, but any bars or restaurants in the area?

It was a very convenient location & it worked well for us and we would go there again...not a "fuggedaboutit"experience for us. :p

Service was good, the room was large enough (table to eat on), the bed was comfortable & the included breakfast (cereal, waffles, fruit, yogurt, etc) held us over until we got to the Royal's dining room for lunch. It is an industrial but we felt comfortable walking around during the daytime to the pier the day before sailing but wouldn't drag bags to board the ship. The main street (Van Brunt) had small markets (got soda & wine), I seem to recall bars & there were several restaurants (we enjoyed a couple of pizza slices & calzone from Mark's Pizza Ristorante). We got takeout but they also had free delivery ($9 minimum order) & in the room there were menus from several other restaurants that offered free delivery.

The next day they drove us in a van to the pier only a a couple of minutes away to beat the crowds, quickly get checked in & boarded by noon to eat lunch in the MDR.

It was a convenient way for us to arrive the day before our cruise and we would use the same shuttle & hotel but next time would have dinner delivered to the hotel.

Edited by Astro Flyer