Embarkation in Vancouver

We will set sail in almost 2 day to Alaska out of Vancouver. I just realized I have no clue about the Embarkation process! Where exactly do we go? I know Canada Place but will it be obvious once we get there? Will be taking a cab, what do we tell the driver? What time can you get there? Earliest- latest. How long does check in take? What should I be sure to have prepared and in hand for check in? When will our rooms be ready? Really excited but the anxiety of the unknown is starting to building. I need to be prepared.

If you take a cab they will take you right to where you need to go.

It's almost underground where you go - not on the hotel on top!

Where are you staying in Vancouver? Maybe you don't even need a cab - although if you know where Canada Place is you'll be able to make that judgement call.

The American clearance is done in Vancouver so check in for us took a while because we were UK citizens entering America again. If you are American you'll probably get through quicker.

Edited by davidrle

It'll be easy to find once you get there. Your cab driver would probably know where it is at also.

Last year, we walked to Canada Place from our hotel and just followed the signs once we got there. You walk down a set of steps and then just follow the "To Ship" signs! Have a great cruise.

Everyone, regardless of nationality/passport, will go through U.S. Customs and Immigration pre-clearance if sailing to Alaska from Vancouver. They have machines in the terminal which are thought to speed up the process, but I question that. :p It took the two of us about 90 seconds to input our information, the machine took our pictures, then printed out the two receipts. No big deal, but we have absolutely spent less time than that with an agent face-to-face.

My advice is to disregard the texts and e-mails you will receive about a specific boarding time, and get there early. We stayed at a hotel across the street and arrived at Canada Place at about 10:45, and there were already hundreds of people ahead of us. The process took about 75 minutes for us that day with two ships in, but I heard the line ups later in the day were longer than two hours.

You will need your credit card, passports, and Set Sail Pass which you printed out online earlier. Just keep them handy in your front pocket as you won't actually "check in" until later in the process. You will be going to several "holding areas" first, so please be patient and try to ignore those who might be complaining... sadly, there seem to be some complainers at every embarkation but I do not give them the power to take away the excitement of my vacation. :p:D

Your cabin will not be ready until 1:30, and you will not be able to even just "drop your things off" and leave again. Take your electronics, prescriptions, and valuables with you in your carry-ons.

Go early and enjoy the entire experience - the first day is a day you've paid for. :)

Everyone, regardless of nationality/passport, will go through U.S. Customs and Immigration pre-clearance if sailing to Alaska from Vancouver. They have machines in the terminal which are thought to speed up the process, but I question that. :p It took the two of us about 90 seconds to input our information, the machine took our pictures, then printed out the two receipts. No big deal, but we have absolutely spent less time than that with an agent face-to-face.

My advice is to disregard the texts and e-mails you will receive about a specific boarding time, and get there early. We stayed at a hotel across the street and arrived at Canada Place at about 10:45, and there were already hundreds of people ahead of us. The process took about 75 minutes for us that day with two ships in, but I heard the line ups later in the day were longer than two hours.

You will need your credit card, passports, and Set Sail Pass which you printed out online earlier. Just keep them handy in your front pocket as you won't actually "check in" until later in the process. You will be going to several "holding areas" first, so please be patient and try to ignore those who might be complaining... sadly, there seem to be some complainers at every embarkation but I do not give them the power to take away the excitement of my vacation. :p:D

Your cabin will not be ready until 1:30, and you will not be able to even just "drop your things off" and leave again. Take your electronics, prescriptions, and valuables with you in your carry-ons.

Go early and enjoy the entire experience - the first day is a day you've paid for. :)

We have sailed out of CP a few times (last May being the most recent and will be doing this again September 4th)...and have never been put in a "holding area"...we simply lined up in the long immigration line and then to the ship checkin area...Is the "holding area" new".

Radiance will be the only ship there that day.

We experienced this for the first time last week debarking in Vancouver. The automated part of the process was slick and took about 90 seconds as you mention but then we STILL had to talk to a U.S. Customs agent and answer questions about what ship we were on, did we buy anything on the ship, etc. So yeah, the whole process was probably a little longer than just talking with an agent only and presenting our passports.

Edited by joepeka

...we simply lined up in the long immigration line and then to the ship checkin area...Is the "holding area" new"... Radiance will be the only ship there that day.

Hiya! We also lined up several times, and by holding area I mean seating with chairs. We sat twice, and lined up twice, I guess you could say. We had two ships in that day plus it was only the second day and new staff were everywhere (Ruby Princess embarked the day before we did). Yes, with only one ship it should not be as hectic, I'm thinking.

We experienced this for the first time last week debarking in Vancouver. The automated part of the process was slick and took about 90 seconds as you mention but then we STILL had to talk to a U.S. Customs agent and answer questions...

Yes, we did that for embarkation as well. Once finished with the machines we lined up again to speak to an agent and personally present ourselves and our form to him/her.

We generally stay at one of the hotels within 6 blocks of Canada Place, so it is just a downhill walk and either go into the hotel and take the last elevator on the right down, or bear right of the building and walk down the ramp. Cabs drive in there and drop off at the bottom of the ramp. Note that if you are flying in it is possible to take the metro to the Canada Place station. Cheaper than a cab.

Typically the baggage folks don't like to collect your bags before around 11:00, but anytime after that works. If more than one ship is boarding make sure you luggage gets on the correct ship.

Checkin area is often a single maze for several ships and lines can get very long by 11:30 when they generally start checking people in.

We experienced this for the first time last week debarking in Vancouver. The automated part of the process was slick and took about 90 seconds as you mention but then we STILL had to talk to a U.S. Customs agent and answer questions about what ship we were on, did we buy anything on the ship, etc. So yeah, the whole process was probably a little longer than just talking with an agent only and presenting our passports.

Arriving into Vancouver (Canada) you would be talking to a Canadian Border Services Agent, not USA.

(You talk to USA CBP leaving Canada Place; pre-clearances so you don't have to in Alaska)

Arriving into Vancouver (Canada) you would be talking to a Canadian Border Services Agent, not USA.

(You talk to USA CBP leaving Canada Place; pre-clearances so you don't have to in Alaska)

Understood but I was speaking more to the automated process that Karen described and how I agreed it really didn't seem to speed up anything - you still have to stop and be questioned by a border control agent.