Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?

Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to post your own opinion on someone else's review?

• Yes
    • No

I think it's absolutely appropriate, and if a review is posted in the forums then opinions (both in agreement and contradictory) should be expected. The only thing that isn't appropriate are those posts where the author is belittled or called names for their opinion.

Personally, I value the comments as much as the review itself, because they allow me to get a picture of a ship/experience without reading hundreds of reviews. Comments also allow me to discover the experiences of people who might have similar tastes/cruise habits as me. For example, a scathing review from someone who didn't like the kiddie pool wouldn't impact me at all, but if someone said the specialty restaurant experience was poor I would want more information.:D

If someone wants to post their review without others commenting, then they should submit it to the Member Reviews section.

Looks like a split vote so far (approx 40/60 when writing this post). After reading all these excellent responses, I regret my no vote this morning. I feel self-hypocritical in that I looked back at my own reviews and really loved the interaction with others, and I have posted on other's reviews as well.

The poll question was too simple and not clear enough. Most all of you clarified my intent on how I really feel... an attack, arguments, belittling is not cool. Sharing opinions, knowledge & experience to help each other is very cool! Thx for posting everyone :)

The poll question was too simple and not clear enough. Most all of you clarified my intent on how I really feel... an attack, arguments, belittling is not cool. Sharing opinions, knowledge & experience to help each other is very cool! Thx for posting everyone :)

I think most will agree with you there. What I'm not sure of is whether most everyone would agree with what constitutes an "attack." I've seen that term overused at time when, in my opinion, it didn't really apply.

And, I do think there are some reviews that more or less beg for disagreement. I have, a number of times, seen reviews that made pretty broad claims, like all the food being horrible or all the crew being rude or miserable. These things, though they may be the author's genuine perception, are generally not true, and others on the ship who had different (or similar) experiences should chime in, so that people reading don't get too biased a view.

I suppose the same could be said of someone who portrayed it as a magical fantasy land, where everything was perfect and wonderful. I think others should chime in to those kind of reviews, too, to avoid someone reading it and getting unrealistic expectations.

But you don't have to tell people they are "wrong" or suggest they are liars; just present your own perception of your experience. :cool:

Posting your opinion on someone's live review is one thing, posting your own review stating the complete opposite of the OP is something completely different. The thread took a completely different turn than what the OP intended and he respectfully asked for it to go to a different thread. That request also took a bad turn which has now caused the live review to end until after the cruise. All of this has now been deleted from that live review.

I rarely read live reviews anymore because they start with 10-20 pages of people posting they are following and all sorts of other posts that detract from the live review. If I do look at them, I will try to just go to all the reviewer's posts and ignore the other banter.

I rarely read live reviews anymore because they start with 10-20 pages of people posting they are following and all sorts of other posts that detract from the live review. If I do look at them, I will try to just go to all the reviewer's posts and ignore the other banter.

Ditto, and when pictures are posted (which I DO appreciate) in said live review that are linked to photobucket etc, TOO many people quote the OP leaving those pics links in so then you have this gigantic post that only says something like "nice pics" :o I appreciate the work that goes into live reviews but they have just become too much for me to keep up with.

Edited by ryano

I think as long at people keep it respectful it's fine. Many people don't know to search or just don't have the time to do it. Having many opinions on the same cruise helps find people with similar likes and tastes. I found it very interesting as we came off our Indy cruise in Jan and were on the shuttle to the rental car place we were with another couple from our cruise. Very nice people but we had opposite experiences on the same cruise. The main dining was terrible they didn't like their waiters and their food was warm at best but they loved the shows. We on the other hand had awesome waiters food was great and our waiters brought several things for us tottery that we didn't even order. We only went to one show that many others I had read loved but for us it wasn't very entertaining it seemed too cheesy and not what we were looking for so we choose to spend our nights doing other things. We both enjoyed the cruise overall but had very different experiences. We all have different likes so it makes sense we see different things we like and dislike. As long as you state your opinion and let it rest don't argue with someone who like something you didn't or didn't like something you did.

No, if I post a review, I don't expect a debate about my experience or opinion. If I disagree with someone who has posted a review, I don't think that I'm going to sway their opinion (besides, they might be right!) :) On the other hand, when someone is asking for your opinion it's time to chime in!

I found this to be an interesting question after reading some of the banter currently on PCWalton's live Jewel thread.

Although obviously there's no rule book, I feel the answer is no... if you have an opinion, positive or negative, feel free to post your own review. I feel someone's review is more like a personal diary and the sharing of information, not the intent to debate the good or bad of various things... it's a personal thing. It's great to see the sharing of information about the ship/excursions/etc, photos, and various CC'ers thanking for the posters time and efforts to do the review.

LOL, must be quite disappointing for you.

I found this to be an interesting question after reading some of the banter currently on PCWalton's live Jewel thread.

Although obviously there's no rule book, I feel the answer is no... if you have an opinion, positive or negative, feel free to post your own review. I feel someone's review is more like a personal diary and the sharing of information, not the intent to debate the good or bad of various things... it's a personal thing. It's great to see the sharing of information about the ship/excursions/etc, photos, and various CC'ers thanking for the posters time and efforts to do the review.

When you begin a thread in the 'forum section', you've opened up what you have to say to others opinions!

'Yes', it is perfectly OK to submit your opinion/experiences in the 'forum section', as long as they are not personal attacks.

Most honest opinions here in the forums are from experiences, or at least should be.:eek:

The 'review section' is where reviews go unchallenged.

I am a definite yes.

This forum is not the place for a "personal diary". When you start a thread it is open for other posters to post their thoughts, comments, suggestions, opinions, etc.

Now...should folks be rude? Absolutely not. Folks should respect OP's opinion but nicely list their own opinion/experience if it varies. If I have an experience that varies from the OP, I try to list my "difference" in a nice, friendly way.

If the OP doesn't want others to post their thoughts, comments, suggestions, opinions on the thread...then they should submit a "review" to be listed in the "review" section of Cruise Critic. (I have never done that and have never even gone over to read any reviews. However, I am guessing that reviews posted in the "reviews" section are the experience/opinions of the reviewer and those should not have other posters expressing their opinions as the review was submitted as a review. )

No one should be ugly to the OP....on any thread. However, I do know from experience that sometimes "words on the screen" come across as "ugly" when that was not the intent of the poster whatsoever. I also know that in some instances there is a "background" between posters that not everyone is privy too. That might make folks "misinterpret" the conversation or might ...in a few circumstances...make the "banter" "deserved".)

Edit: Looks like I should have read the other responses before commenting so I would have known that "yes" the Member Reviews section is where "personal" reviews should go if one doesn't want comments.

Also meant to list....I think it is definitely appropriate for folks to add their comments/varying experience/opinions if they were on the same cruise. It would be ridiculous to have a new thread started by everyone that wanted to make a "comment" regarding particular sailing.

Edited by skiiergirl

I've posted a few reviews around CC over the years, and I'm happy to report that the issue has rarely come up. So I voted yes, with a caveat:

I don't mind when others post differing opinions to mine in a review, it would be boring around here (and anywhere else for that matter) if we all agreed. It only bothers me when someone gets hostile, obnoxious or preachy and begins to derail the thread. I tend to just ignore them and keep going with my review.

There is a reviews section of Cruise Critic that exists specifically for our personal reviews. No responses are possible. If any of us choose to post our review here on the chat boards, we do so knowing its going to generate responses.

However, opposing opinions should be stated in a respectful manner.

I agree 100% with this. Another "yes". I certainly don't mind others adding info to my reviews. I even appreciate others answering questions on my reviews when I don't get to them first.