No gratuity for baby passenger...

h2dcruise

We'll be on an Alaska cruise this summer with our 18 month old. It is ridiculous enough to me that we are paying full adult fare for him while bringing almost all of his food and person hygiene products with us, so we don't intend to pay gratuities for him at the regular rate. If we are provided any above beyond services for the baby's need, we may chose to tip an appropriate amount.

Anyway, how would I go about making sure we aren't automatically charged the $12 gratuity for him?

Just a word of warning - this isn't going to end well. That being said there are ways to take the gratuities off your account but should you - NO. Your child is no different than an adult in the amount of cleanup and work that the room steward or the waiter has to do. But you already know that.

Just a word of warning - this isn't going to end well. That being said there are ways to take the gratuities off your account but should you - NO. Your child is no different than an adult in the amount of cleanup and work that the room steward or the waiter has to do. But you already know that.

I would agree with you if we had paid a reduced fare for him. Also, from what I have read, some cruise lines don't charge gratuities for kids under a certain age.

We are a party of 16 adults and the baby in 7 staterooms, and we intend to pay the full recommended amount for the adults. But I have no moral qualms about not wanting to pay for the baby...

I would agree with you if we had paid a reduced fare for him. Also, from what I have read, some cruise lines don't charge gratuities for kids under a certain age.

We are a party of 16 adults and the baby in 7 staterooms, and we intend to pay the full recommended amount for the adults. But I have no moral qualms about not wanting to pay for the baby...

I guess then why you didn't book on that line knowing that Celebrity does charge? Like I said - there is a way for you to do it - so that should answer your question and be the end of this - but it won't be of course.

You know that your child will have to be cleaned up after - dirty diapers to be cleared out, sheets and towels to change and clean, water and at least some food to be served, a highchair to be brought out - and yet you think that is less deserving of the gratuities than if these were done for an adult? You may wish to travel on the cheap but please don't try to justify your shorting the staff.

I guess then why you didn't book on that line knowing that Celebrity does charge?

Sorry, when I meant "charge", I guess I meant a "suggest a recommended gratuity rate". Unless they make it a required service charge on my invoice, it is not a required payment that must be made to take a Celebrity cruise.

I understand the baby will use some service on the ship, but he will be 18 month old at the time, eat barely anything from the ship's food and will share our bed. All the while having paid a full adult's fare for the cruise itself! When he is 4 or 5, I will pay the full gratuity for him.

But thanks for your advice!

Edited by h2dcruise

I guess then why you didn't book on that line knowing that Celebrity does charge? Like I said - there is a way for you to do it - so that should answer your question and be the end of this - but it won't be of course.

You know that your child will have to be cleaned up after - dirty diapers to be cleared out, sheets and towels to change and clean, water and at least some food to be served, a highchair to be brought out - and yet you think that is less deserving of the gratuities than if these were done for an adult? You may wish to travel on the cheap but please don't try to justify your shorting the staff.

Have to agree with this. The diaper cleanup and all that involves is tip worthy for the steward.

BRAVO!

Dear OP: Your post is not really asking for advice other than how to remove tips. I'll just let you discover that for yourself since I really respect the hard work of the crew. You will do what you want to do and what you feel is correct so any comments I might make are useless. Enjoy your cruise.

We're going on a cruise next year with all of our children and grandchildren., (16 people :eek: ) the youngest of whom will be 3 months old (it's Disney and the baby was grandfathered in before they changed the policy to a minimum of 6 months old).

The baby will be nursing and is too young to attend any of the events that we are paying dearly for in the cruise fare.

I do agree that maybe the baby should be free but as far as the gratuity - we will happily pay that.

I would never consider penalizing the hard-working crew because I feel the original cruise fare is too high.

OP - You had to know you'd be criticized for your query. Just curious why you opened yourself up to that?

(Oh, and just know that as of June 1 the daily gratuity is 12.95)

HI JANE!!!

Edited by chamima

Just something for the OP to consider --- it is not the staff who made the decision to charge full fare for a toddler, it's Celebrity management. So, you're proposing stiffing the staff for something that have no control over. Most babies on cruise ships require work on their behalf from the staff ---- taking away dirty diapers, cleaning up crumbs, bringing you utensils as well as milk and juice even if you bring your own food, high chairs to be brought and taken away, additional towels for the cabin, maybe extra bed changes. If you don't plan to compensate them for their efforts, I hope you don't expect them to do any of the above. Personally, I think parents of babies and toddlers would be planning extra gratuities.

Edited by cynbar

Unless it was a typo, the last time I checked 18 months old were toddlers not babies. They are walking and definitely eating some regular food by then. I mean they start solid food at 6 months - albeit baby food, but by 18 months I know they are eating. You mean there will be nothing on the ship your toddler will eat? Pasta, yogurt, ice cream, bread?

To add to that the cruise fare you paid goes into the cruise lines pocket. Not paying gratuities only hurts the hard working crew on the ship.

I'm way beyond the "parenting" stage of life. One of the most consistent things I observe on cruises (and I've taken a few on Celebrity) is the attention the staff gives to children of all ages. Their love of their youngest passengers is evident at the dinner table and throughout the ship. Must be difficult for some since they leave their own loved ones at home for extended periods of time. Sometimes up to 9 months. Senior officers can have their children on board for the length of their contract if they wish. I know two Captain's who currently have their family on board, but that's really the exception. Bravo to the crew!

Unfortunately, the fare you paid for the baby has no relevance to the staff who earn gratuities - they don't benefit proportionality based on what passengers pay for their cruise.

The staff to whom gratuities are distributed clean up crumbs and spilled food, dispose of dirty diapers and tidy up the cabin, which probably is in bigger disarray due to the extra person in the cabin. They really do deserve the gratuities they get. Once you are on board and see how the staff cater to your child, you may decide they deserve the gratuities.

I hope you and your family enjoy your vacation.

I thought there were lowered fares for extra pax in a stateroom beyond 2...or is that only when there's a special promo?

As for grats, as mentioned by others, an 18 mo old will generate linen, towel, garb disposal, some special services & gen clean up needs from room stewards....have never had poor service in our rooms! Same for dining...even in the buffet.

I thought there were lowered fares for extra pax in a stateroom beyond 2...or is that only when there's a special promo?

As for grats, as mentioned by others, an 18 mo old will generate linen, towel, garb disposal, some special services & gen clean up needs from room stewards....have never had poor service in our rooms! Same for dining...even in the buffet.

Third person rates are always less than the first two.

It depends on the cruise what the 3/4 passenger amounts are. Some are low like $299 some are high like $799. Since it's Alaska and the summer, I'm guessing it was probably on the higher side. But yes, not full cruise fare.

Third person rates are always less than the first two.

Not the cruise we are on. All third passengers were paying full rates... so we ended up with two people per room for most of our party. The TA said it was about Celebrity trying to get more rooms sold.

Edited by h2dcruise

BRAVO!

Dear OP: Your post is not really asking for advice other than how to remove tips. I'll just let you discover that for yourself since I really respect the hard work of the crew. You will do what you want to do and what you feel is correct so any comments I might make are useless. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, I realized my mistake... I should've just googled how to modify gratuities on board. :)

While it's a pity you're paying full fare for your toddler, the gratuities aren't the place to cut, IMO.

As a previous poster has said, perhaps you'll see how well your little one is treated by the staff and that will change your mind about removing the tip.

3rd and 4th passengers sharing a room? no matter what age,pay a fraction of the adult fare. I am travelling with my 4 children, 1 of which is over 18 and paying full fare for. My youngest is 6 and I am paying less than 500 pound for her and 2 of her brothers. If your toddler is sharing a room with you and your partner/husband then you should not be paying adult fare for him.....As for the gratuities, please leave them be. He will have needs that will be met by the staff with enthusiasm. Trust me.

3rd and 4th passengers sharing a room? no matter what age,pay a fraction of the adult fare. I am travelling with my 4 children, 1 of which is over 18 and paying full fare for. My youngest is 6 and I am paying less than 500 pound for her and 2 of her brothers. If your toddler is sharing a room with you and your partner/husband then you should not be paying adult fare for him.....As for the gratuities, please leave them be. He will have needs that will be met by the staff with enthusiasm. Trust me.

I am telling you that this was not the case when we booked our August 2015 cruise. In fact, we ended up putting four young adults in two separate rooms instead of one because two interior rooms cost less than putting all four of them in one (with taxes etc. all added).

I will tip for the baby as I see fit.

Again I thank everyone this thread for their opinion... I am not a regular cruiser and I see that people here just see anyone questioning the recommended tipping as someone taking money out of their pocket.

Edited by h2dcruise

We don't see it as taking money out of our pocket (if that's what you meant) but we do see it as taking it out of the pockets of the hard working crew. They do not make the policy yet they are always the first ones punished by having the gratuities removed.

If you are new to cruising then understand that people here are just trying to enlighten you. Just because we have different opinions doesn't mean we are bashing you. It just means that you disagree with us disagreeing with you.

I am not trying to pursue an argument with and this will be the last thing I say......I have just done a dummy booking to a last a for August 2015 for 2 adults and 2 children...Both children are charged at half the adult price. Maybe consider ringing celebrity and double check that the correct fare has in fact been charged. Just a recommendation. Good Luck. x x

I am not trying to pursue an argument with and this will be the last thing I say......I have just done a dummy booking to a last a for August 2015 for 2 adults and 2 children...Both children are charged at half the adult price. Maybe consider ringing celebrity and double check that the correct fare has in fact been charged. Just a recommendation. Good Luck. x x

What cabin category? I did a dummy booking for an inside which the regular rate is $759 and the 3/4 rate is $699. Not much of a difference.

The OP should have not paid more that $699 (plus tax) for 3/4 person, if they did they should call their TA.

I know that this is the normal way (cheaper 3rd and 4th) and it was so when we booked the same cruise last year for the first of our party rooms. But they were having some promotion last month when the interior rates were $649 per person instead of $749, and during that time third and fourth passengers were the same price.

And again, the rates for two separate interior rooms with taxes was coming out less than one interior room with four people.

Yes, even our TA thought it was strange but that's how it was and we needed to make the reservations.

Edited by h2dcruise