No gratuity for baby passenger...

h2dcruise

Babies are very cute, but I understand why they have the same cruise fare as an adult, and also incur the same suggested rate for gratuities.

It's not about how much food they eat. If that's the case, 20-something males should pay 2-3X the regular rate and little old ladies should get huge discounts. The fact is, little ones require a lot of work, make lots of noise and use just as many resources on the ship.

Maybe some of the perspectives being posted will help you feel better about the amount you had to pay. They really do cost the cruise ship money - probably the same amount as the adults.

Dear regular cruisers,

I am sorry I don't agree with you. If you didn't want to help with figuring out how to remove automated gratuity charges because you believe it to be morally or ethical wrong, you could have just said so.

I am not changing my mind. Thanks to a couple of you and some searching I have gotten my answer.

Thank,

2nd time cruiser - h2dcruise

Oh no, those babies/toddlers bring in a boat load of revenue what with the formula tastings, diaper shows, the kidsino, and all of the speciality dinners they consume.

I do wonder if she is going to tell the people who are helping and cleaning up after the little one that they are doing it for free, or if she will just take the gratuities off on the last night of the cruise like so many righteous others do?

little ones make lots of noise

What does that have to do with paying gratuities :confused:?

Another question, those people that take their dogs on in strollers, do they pay grats for their pets? Just wondering as they don't pay at all for the animal to be on the ship, but wondered if they have to pay grats as crew have to remove/set up the litter trays, provide water for bowls, clean cabins extra well to remove dog hairs etc? Not pointing to those service dogs that are performing a vital role, but those pax that are pushing their dogs around in strollers, like babies :confused:?

One photograph on the other thread clearly shows a German shepherd lying on towels on a lounger by the pool, after, apparently, he had joined his owner in the pool - surely he would also be causing extra work for the crew (towel washing, pool cleaning etc.)?

We do not have a problem paying grats for our kids, however, I do think people's opinions are sometimes very blinkered and the wider scope isn't considered. As highlighted above, where does noise have any relevance in the paying of grats :confused: - or is there another reason behind that comment?

Oh no, those babies/toddlers bring in a boat load of revenue what with the formula tastings, diaper shows, the kidsino, and all of the speciality dinners they consume.

This is a new one: Cruise customers are now responsible for ensuring that multi-billion dollar corporations are generating maximum revenue for all passengers.

Your loyalty knows no bounds...

On that nice note, I think I am done with this thread.

You enjoy your cruising! :)

Your best bet! Although I personally would not do it I am always amazed at the people here who just cannot answer the question and instead have to give you all the reasons not to do it.

Can it be done? Yes....

I would agree with you if we had paid a reduced fare for him. Also, from what I have read, some cruise lines don't charge gratuities for kids under a certain age.

We are a party of 16 adults and the baby in 7 staterooms, and we intend to pay the full recommended amount for the adults. But I have no moral qualms about not wanting to pay for the baby...

Not sure why you would bring this to the forums if you are convinced of what you want to do. Are you looking for support in your decision?

Making this kind of announcement seems very strange to me.

P.S. Do what you want, you don't need anyone on CC to back you up.

Are you looking for support in your decision?.

Please read thru all my posts. I keep saying I just wanted to know how to remove automated gratuity charges and I have figured it out.

Edited by h2dcruise

h2dcruise,

First thing, have a great cruise. Second, you got some good info on what you want to do. Third, despite the manner of some some the naysayers, some of them have valid points so don't totally ignore those points just because they were delivered with a self righteous sledgehammer.;) That's par for the course around here BTW. In the end you will determine the right gratuity for you and your child based on your experience on your cruise. And if some crew members go above and beyond, in your opinion, tip accordingly.

Edited by DirtyDawg

It's pretty much all been said, but I just want to reinforce an earlier comment.

When the gratuities are removed or lowered, it isn't Celebrity who suffers, it's the service staff. Celebrity made their money from your fare, things you buy on board excursions, stuff like that.

The service staff are paid by gratuity. My personal thinking is that if we don't want to pay for service, then we shouldn't get any. Remove the gratuity, make your own bed, haul your own luggage, clean your own bathroom, line up in the galley and collect your own food.

Quite possibly the OP paid the same $ for the third person. But if those fares were purchased on a sale then the normal price for 2 adults and reduced third person is probably about the same as what the OP paid - so saying they paid the same for the baby as an adult is potentially misleading. .

On the issue of tips. The tips are for service not goods. And I know a toddler requires a lot of service. They crumb foods. Their diapers can be smelly and messy and need immediate attention. I loathe the compulsory tipping process coming from Australia. But I would never remove them under any circumstance.

Edited by Pushka

How much did you pay in gratuities? Did you pay the adult rate when until mid-2000s the gratuity rate for children under 5 was 50% of the adult gratuity rates? You keep talking like Celebrity employees work for the cruise line for free!

And why are you so concerned about when or how I remove the automated gratuity charges? You keep repeating the same question...

You know, I don't remember what I paid. It was some time ago when they were little. I just know that I did and that I, at a minimum, followed the policies of the time.

No, they don't work for free. They work for gratuities. Unless they don't recieve them. Then they work for free.

As far as removing the gratuities, I am curious wondering whether or not you will tell them when you board that you're not paying them for their efforts or if you're not going tell them at all, remove the gratuities on the last night, and try to get off the ship without having to look them in the eye.

Edited by johnritt

As far as removing the gratuities, I am curious wondering whether or not you will tell them when you board that you're not paying them for their efforts or if you're not going tell them at all, remove the gratuities on the last night, and try to get off the ship without having to look them in the eye.

You should try to remember what you paid, because if you look it up you will see that Celebrity had a 50% recommended gratuity rate for children until 2005 or so. The was the same for most cruise lines until recently...

We will probably remove them all on day one and pay the recommended gratuity rate for the two adults in the rooms plus whatever we feel like paying for the baby whichever way possible. I won't have any problems looking into their eyes...

You should try to remember what you paid, because if you look it up you will see that Celebrity had a 50% recommended gratuity rate for children until 2005 or so. The was the same for most cruise lines until recently...

We will probably remove them all on day one and pay the recommended gratuity rate for the two adults in the rooms plus whatever we feel like paying for the baby whichever way possible. I won't have any problems looking into their eyes...

The difference is is that I knew of and followed their policies. So the crew got paid. You know of but won't follow their policies. So the crew won't get paid.

And thank you for answering my question. I sincerely appreciate your answer.

Edited by johnritt

QUOTE]

Just to clarify, the 50% gratuity was for 3rd and 4th who were children under 18 traveling with their parents as 1st and 2nd passengers. The change was made around the turn of the century and Celebrity followed the rest of the cruiselines who changed their policies. I know this for a fact because we were traveling with our children as 3rd and 4ths from the early 90s on several cruise lines.

Whatever it was, it is irrelevant to this thread since it is not and has not been the policy for at least 15 years.

We'll be on an Alaska cruise this summer with our 18 month old. It is ridiculous enough to me that we are paying full adult fare for him while bringing almost all of his food and person hygiene products with us, so we don't intend to pay gratuities for him at the regular rate. If we are provided any above beyond services for the baby's need, we may chose to tip an appropriate amount.

Anyway, how would I go about making sure we aren't automatically charged the $12 gratuity for him?

sorry h2dcruise - this is not just a question, this is almost an essay followed by a question; you are going to get reactions from an opening post like this. I think you posted hoping people would line up behind you in support; that did not happen and this thread went somewhat downhill as was predicted by the first person to respond.

I do hope you and your group have a great cruise.

Edited by alexspepa

Will having the child in your room create more garbage? Baby food jars, wipes, milk cartons, etc etc? Someone has to empty your bins.

Will the child eat at a table in the buffet? Someone has to bring you a booster seat, clean up spilled food, etc etc

Will the child's presence cause the need for additional towels, or even perhaps an extra change of bedding? Won't this cause extra work for your room stewards?

Cracker crumbs on the carpet? Fingerprints on the windows? Someone will need to clean those.

Many factors to consider.

Will having the child in your room create more garbage? Baby food jars, wipes, milk cartons, etc etc? Someone has to empty your bins... Will the child eat at a table in the buffet? Someone has to bring you a booster seat, clean up spilled food, etc etc... Will the child's presence cause the need for additional towels, or even perhaps an extra change of bedding? Won't this cause extra work for your room stewards?... Cracker crumbs on the carpet? Fingerprints on the windows? Someone will need to clean those...

Rats, well I was going to stay out of this until now. :p You and others make good and very valid points. My curiosity gets the better of me when OP said this:

...while bringing almost all of his food and person hygiene products with us...

ALMOST ALL of his food? The child (no longer a baby at 18 months, but a toddler) will be eating full meals of table food by that time. OP is going to stuff the suitcase with food so she doesn't have to feed him from the MDR and buffet, therefore eliminating the need to tip for her child? Puzzled. :confused: