Am I reading this rate restriction correctly?

I called Crown and Anchor this morning because I wanted to pay to upgrade my cabin on my upcoming Mediterranean cruise. The representative told me the cost to update to a balcony guarantee and it was reasonable so I booked it. When I just checked my reservation there is the following notice on it:

Prices shown reflect the Exclusive Rate that you have selected. A valid driver's license or state-issued ID; U.S. or Canadian military ID; or U.S. or Canadian local, state or federal law enforcement, fire department, or EMT employment badge or ID must be presented at the pier to validate eligibility for the applicable Exclusive Rate. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or otherwise will be denied boarding.

It surprised me when I saw it because the representative didn't mention it. Am I reading it correctly that I just need to show them my driver's license?

some special; rates are limited top certain demographics: ,military, FL residents, etc.

if that is what you got, then you must prove you are legitimately authorized to get the rate or you will be charged the current going rate

The wording about the military had me worried because I'm not military and the representative did ask and didn't mention that it was a special or restricted rate.

Edited by katsmom1

There is a neighborhood balcony guaranty rate of $999 that comes up no matter what I put in for state or military. Is that the rate you are talking about?

I didn't check online but I know that it isn't for a neighborhood balcony. I just called and asked how much it would cost to upgrade to a oceanview balcony and the rep gave me a price.

Edited by katsmom1

I didn't check online but I know that it isn't for a neighborhood balcony. I just called and asked how much it would cost to upgrade to a oceanview balcony and the rep gave me a price.

It isn't showing any oceanview balconies available now so that rate is gone, so no way to help you. Call back and ask what the restriction is on the rate. We have had that exact wording on a residency rate and have been asked to show our license to confirm residency on one cruise and on others, we weren't asked at all.

Call back and verify so you will be prepared.

I'm guessing that the wording is standard for all of their special rates, whether for a specific state, military, emergency response, etc. As Setsail said, you may have received an Ohio rate and would therefore only need to show a valid Ohio driver's license.

I have the same wording on a recent booking when I went from inside to balcony guarantee. I'm not worried about it at all because the rate isn't any different from what showed on their website before I called to make the change.

In fact, a booking for another cruise also had that same wording when I had to call to make the booking using a next cruise certificate. I noticed recently that wording was removed since I made the above booking. It did concern me at first but I knew I didn't do anything wrong so I ignored it.

When I booked a resident rate with my mother she thought she could use her passport for ID. We did not get the warning and she did not bring a valid drivers licence. Note that no other form of identification is acceptable for a resident discount you must show a valid drivers licence.

We booked our April Oasis cruise in May 2014 with a GA rate. Got FL drivers licence in Sept 2014. We still live in both places for the next year. No one at pier asked for our drivers license. Just passport and Visa card.

When I booked a resident rate with my mother she thought she could use her passport for ID. We did not get the warning and she did not bring a valid drivers licence. Note that no other form of identification is acceptable for a resident discount you must show a valid drivers licence.

So what happened? Did they even ask?