MDR Dress code??

Dress code threads always bring out the "Walmart" comments.:rolleyes: In 35 cruises I don't think we've ever seen anyone dressed in sloppy or dirty clothing in the MDR. Not everyone has worn a tux or suit for formal night, but no one has looked like they've just come from the gym or working in the garden.:D

Although my husband has stopped taking his tux for formal night, we still dress up. We do not go to the MDR with any expectations for other people, my only is concern is how we are dressed. It does not matter to us if our tablemates are not dressed as we are, we still have a lovely dinner.

Actually, the only time I've ever been uncomfortable with how someone was dressed was with the very attractive woman who wore tight, extremely low cut cocktail dresses each night. We were all waiting each night for one or both of the girls to pop out, but she was dressed appropriately for the dress code!

Sherri:)

I agree that they should enforce the dress code. Expecially on formal night. It's tux and formal for us.

Enforcement basically means no flip flops, shorts, or tank tops (this only applies to men really as women can do whatever they want). Polo and Khaki pants are well above minimum for every evening.

......waiting each night for one or both of the girls to pop out, but she was dressed appropriately for the dress code!

Sherri:)

:-)

My wife always gets extra special attention from the waiters and bar staff, because of "her girls"......

As long as they just look.....

We are in our early 30's and we just finished our 3rd cruise on the Independence. Our first two cruises (2013 & 2014) were on the Allure. The first thing I noticed on the Independence was how laid back the dress code was on this ship (Now I am starting to think its across RCI overall). On the Allure MDR dress was Smart Casual every day except the first day and Formal nights. Most men wore dress slacks and a nice polo or button up shirt tucked in. Formal nights were Suits, tuxs, vests and ties.

I can remember Ken Rush (Cruise director) speaking about MDR dress code in his morning shows explaining what was accepted, and if you didnt want to dress up, there was plenty of other dining options onboard that are more casual.

On the Independence this was never mentioned and the MDR showed it. flip flops, t-shirts and shorts where the norm. I even noticed a few on formal nights.

While this didnt ruin our cruise, it definitely took the specialness out of the formal nights and made the MDR feel like I was eating at a Olive Garden instead of a classy dining experience.

I know I am speaking for the smaller crowd but I enjoy the upscale feel of the MDR and I hope RCI starts enforcing MDR dress code.

Never sailed RCCL but from what I read the guidelines are similar to Princess.

I'd say that for formal night polo and nice slacks will get you in. For non-formal anything but pool wear likely gets you in for breakfast/lunch, and dinner jeans and t-shirt will get you in. :D

Its really a separate question as to what you should do. Would you show up at a distant relative's wedding dressed ? Okay what if everyone is a stranger like a nice place close to home, now what if you meet your boss or friends there :eek:

Always fun to read these threads ;)

Men: Dress shorts?

Polo shirt ?

Jeans ?

Women: Maxi dress and flip flops?

Denim Capris?

And what about formal night, will Khakis and a Polo be ok for men?

I know this can be a sensitive subject and I appreciate all of your input.

Shorts can be worn at breakfast and lunch with no problem in the MDR. If you show up in them for dinner, since the RCCL guidelines specifically say no shorts at dinner, you could be asked to go change. We saw it happen. Depends on who is at the door. On a warm weather cruise , the majority of men will have on khakis or other slacks with polos or Tommy Bahama shirts in the MDR.

Ladies wear sun dresses, slacks, pants, capris etc.

Sometimes people think the dining room is more relaxed. When in actuality many of the beach casual dressed cruisers (shorts) are eating in a buffet or other spot. MANY are seen around the ship, but some not actually heading for a white tablecloth dinner.

Formal nights are dressed up. No shorts. If your husband feels a polo and pants is "formal":o and RCCL agrees, then go for it.

What is "acceptable" and just "ok" is just asking what can one get away with, without being turned away. That's different than asking about actual guidelines.

Never sailed RCCL but from what I read the guidelines are similar to Princess.

;)

No, actually Princess ships are not "anything goes" like RCL is becoming. Shorts in the MDR are stopped at dinner.

Altho about 20% of men on formal nights will be in either a tux or just a long dress shirt with or without a tie, the MAJORITY of men on any itinerary will have on either suit or sportcoat and tie on formal nights. Those that don't want to dress will be found in other dining venues.

If a gentleman wants to wear shorts for dinner in the MDR, I wouldn't cruise Princess or Celebrity. Id stick with NCL or Carnival. And sounds like the newest ships on RCL are going that route too. A more casual experience.... At least at this point.

According to recent cruise compasses from Oasis of the seas, shorts are permitted in the main dining room.

You might want to reread whatever you are relying on. Shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Not at dinner.

Edited by eandj

Shorts can be worn at breakfast and lunch with no problem in the MDR. If you show up in them for dinner, since the RCCL guidelines specifically say no shorts at dinner, you could be asked to go change. We saw it happen. Depends on who is at the door. On a warm weather cruise , the majority of men will have on khakis or other slacks with polos or Tommy Bahama shirts in the MDR.

Except that this thread is specifically about the Oasis of the seas, and looking at the cruise compasses posted online, shorts are permitted in the MDR for dinner on Oasis of the seas. So rather than it depending on who is at the door, it seems perhaps the policy has been updated or is in the process of being updated to something more contemporary.

We have been cruising since 2003, sometimes with our sons and now daughter in law and sometimes alone. We have always followed the recommended dress code and have seen some turned away from wearing shorts for dinner.

My husband and sons wear khaki type pants and polos or buttoned collared shirts to casual nights in the MDR. My daughter in law and I wear either dresses or nice pants with a cute top. Jeans are too hot for the Caribbean as well as they weight more in the suitcases. For formal nights, the guys wear suits with ties and dress shirts and the girls wear nice cocktail type dresses, not gowns. Our sons have always worn these clothes since we started cruising when the youngest was 12. They wouldn't think of wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner. If we don't feel like dressing according to the guidelines, we go the Windjammer.

You might want to reread whatever you are relying on. Shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Not at dinner.

Already did, after someone else suggested it didn't apply to dinner. It states in the compass, "please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended at dinner in the dining rooms or any of our specialty restaurants." Now you can debate intent all you like, but since older compasses from the same ship state they are not permitted, it seems that the change in wording is deliberate.

So what you read as "Short pants" aren't really shorts?

Or is it that because it states in the guidelines as " please note......not recommended" that to you it means anything goes?

And what does it say one should wear, especially for formal nights?

Obviously if ships ( in any line) don't enforce their own guidelines, they can write anything. Certainly makes for interesting fodder and gives people leeway to do as they please.

Edited by eandj

Could you please post these? This would be the first time EVER that a RCL ship has different written guidelines than another RCL ship, even of the same class.

How confusing would that be for passengers who want to know a cruiseline's expectations? ( as opposed to what they "can get away " with?)

Google it, that's how I found it. Also quoted it above.

So we are traveling on the Oasis in 2 weeks(first Royal Cruise). Could some of you experienced Royal cruisers fill me in on acceptable dress code in MDR?

Men: Dress shorts?

Polo shirt ?

Jeans ?

Women: Maxi dress and flip flops?

Denim Capris?

And what about formal night, will Khakis and a Polo be ok for men?

I know this can be a sensitive subject and I appreciate all of your input.

Yes to all. People get freaked out over it but yes all the above is acceptable.

Not sure why people care how others are dressed but it is what it is. I loved to get dressed up, and I do. Every night. But the DBF does not and he wears shorts and a collared shirt/polo shirt when it isn't formal night . Personally I get more freaked out by how many parents allow their kids to be babysat by iPads during dinner? :eek: ;)

I agree with above posters about NO shorts in MDR for dinner. I just checked my compasses from Nov.2014 on the Explorer. They state long pants, not shorts.

If RCL is changing guidelines from ship to ship...makes no pr sense.

On a side note, seeing men wearing their little boy shorts walking into a white tablecloth restaurant seems weird to me. The MDR and specialty restaurants are generally the most formal on ships. So I ask myself if they think all restaurants are the local Chili's. Why not find a venue that gives that casual feel they seem to want? But...everyone to their own.;)