Self Debarkation

What, exactly, is self debarkation? We need to try and get an 8:30am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Saturday (ship docks at 6:15.....Oasis) and have seen this phrase tossed around. Does that mean we haul our own luggage from our room, to the cab, to the airport etc as opposed to setting it outside our cabin door the night before? Or, can we still set out our luggage?

What is involved in self debarkation?

Tracy

What, exactly, is self debarkation? We need to try and get an 8:30am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Saturday (ship docks at 6:15.....Oasis) and have seen this phrase tossed around. Does that mean we haul our own luggage from our room, to the cab, to the airport etc as opposed to setting it outside our cabin door the night before? Or, can we still set out our luggage?

What is involved in self debarkation?

Tracy

Correct, you are responsible for getting all your luggage off the ship, with no carts or help from others. You will be one of the first groups to leave the ship.

Edited by clarea

Do I need to let RCCL know we would like to do this? Getting the luggage off and taking it ourselves won't be a problem as there are 5 of us. Does RCCL offer to get us a cab or do we leave the ship then find one ourselves? Sorry so many questions, just have never done the self debarkation stuff before.

Do I need to let RCCL know we would like to do this? Getting the luggage off and taking it ourselves won't be a problem as there are 5 of us. Does RCCL offer to get us a cab or do we leave the ship then find one ourselves? Sorry so many questions, just have never done the self debarkation stuff before.

You are totally responsible for arranging your transportation to the airport. It is a relatively short trip. I would be mindful, however, that because Oasis is scheduled into port @ 6:15, that is not guaranteed when you can debark. I would have no problem with a 9:30 flight but 8:30 is iffy. :)

You normally don't have to notify Royal that you intend to self-disembark. However, you will receive a flyer entitled "As You Depart" a day or so before the last day. Read that to determine the procedure for self-disembarkation.

You are on your own with getting a taxi, but there should not be a problem at Port Everglades, they are plentiful. You may have to wait 5 ot 10 minutes for a minivan taxi.

Get in line around 6:15 or 6:30 at the latest. You must handle all luggage on your own. It's the only way to make that flight. You will get your own cab after you clear customs and walk out of the terminal. We were 5 people too (2 adults and 3 not helpful 5yos). We managed it just fine and were at the gate at the airport by 7:15. If there are any delays in docking though, you might miss your flight. In most cases, you won't have a problem though.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll try to book a 9:30ish flight for the "just in case" happenings.

I'm feeling better about doing this after reading some of the positive scenarios that have happened :) I've just never self debarked so it's a little different than I'm used to.

Thanks again!

Tracy

More and more people seem to be doing the self assist debark. The first few times we did it we walked right off the ship. Early this month on Nav it took us just over an hour.

I suggest you read the instructions carefully to know where to go on the ship for self debarkation. You wont have time for breakfast and the elevators will probably be full so get an early start. Don't know about Ft Lauderdale but Port Canaveral has an escalator in the terminal and you must keep one hand clear of luggage to hold the handrail or you will be directed to an elevator which may be crowded.

I suggest you read the instructions carefully to know where to go on the ship for self debarkation. You wont have time for breakfast and the elevators will probably be full so get an early start. Don't know about Ft Lauderdale but Port Canaveral has an escalator in the terminal and you must keep one hand clear of luggage to hold the handrail or you will be directed to an elevator which may be crowded.

Same at Port Everglades. You have to have one hand free to use the escalator in the terminal or will be directed to the line for the elevator.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

I suggest you read the instructions carefully to know where to go on the ship for self debarkation. You wont have time for breakfast and the elevators will probably be full so get an early start.Don't know about Ft Lauderdale but Port Canaveral has an escalator in the terminal and you must keep one hand clear of luggage to hold the handrail or you will be directed to an elevator which may be crowded.

The new terminal at Port Canaveral has a ramp to walk down. You don't need to use the escalator unless you want to.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll try to book a 9:30ish flight for the "just in case" happenings.

Good choice. While you'll hear plenty of stories from people who were on Oasis/Allure and managed to be at the airport, checked in and through security by 7:30 or whatever, an 8:30 flight is still pretty risky. My experience frequently flying in and out of FLL is that you just don't know what you'll encounter when you get there. Sometimes security is well staffed and lines are short, other times the line is wrapped around the building. If you are checking bags, they usually have to be checked no later than 7:30 or 7:45 for an 8:30 flight; check with your particular airline for specifics, and you can't start disembarking the ship the minute it docks, you have to wait for the ship to clear customs. Just keep those things in mind as well.

What, exactly, is self debarkation? We need to try and get an 8:30am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale on a Saturday (ship docks at 6:15.....Oasis)

:eek: - i shuddered when I read this post.