Questions regarding embarkation at Cape Liberty-

Jetswdo

Now that passengers no longer have to take a shuttle bus from ship to terminal,

We are being picked up by Dial 7 at (9:00 am) If this makes any difference we are in aqua cabin. We were thinking of requesting 8:15 departure group to without rushing to get off ship, retrieve our two suitcases and meet the driver.

These are my questions: 1. Is 8:15 a good time? too early, too late?

2. Where do we meet the driver. Is there a spot in front of terminal for private car pick up?

If you leave at 9am Sunday morning, how long a drive is it? I would want to get to the terminal by 11:00am.

Returning, give yourself 15-30 minutes to get off the ship, retrieve your luggage, and stand in line to go thru customs/immigration. Base your pick-up time on that.

Haven't been to the new terminal yet, but I'm sure they will have a parking area nearby for taxis and shuttles where he can meet you with a placard with your name, then go get the car.

We'll be there this Sunday to scope out the new terminal. :)

If you leave at 9am Sunday morning, how long a drive is it? I would want to get to the terminal by 11:00am.

Returning, give yourself 15-30 minutes to get off the ship, retrieve your luggage, and stand in line to go thru customs/immigration. Base your pick-up time on that.

Haven't been to the new terminal yet, but I'm sure they will have a parking area nearby for taxis and shuttles where he can meet you with a placard with your name, then go get the car.

We'll be there this Sunday to scope out the new terminal. :)

They also have a cell phone lot now which can be very helpful, have used them at a couple of airports.

Sorry for the confusion! Ok, so If we get off ship at 8:15, that is enough time to find luggage, go through immagration, then call driver who I guess would be sitting in cell phone lot- and we would be standing out front for instructions by 9:00? Hoping to get response from passengers who have disembarked in the last couple of months, so to have a good sense of timing....

Edited by Jetswdo

The pick up area has numbers so when you call the driver just tell them which number area you are standing in.The new terminal is very big as it was designed for the new, BIG RCCL ships. There are many customs lines so it went very quick.We got off at 8 and were driving out of the lot by 8:45, I had parked my car there.

The pick up area has numbers so when you call the driver just tell them which number area you are standing in.The new terminal is very big as it was designed for the new, BIG RCCL ships. There are many customs lines so it went very quick.We got off at 8 and were driving out of the lot by 8:45, I had parked my car there.

Exactly, did this last week and the whole process was very smooth. Shuttle bus to parking lot to get car, porter for bags, and family at a numbered pick up area. One of the easiest departures ever from a cruise ship.

Jimbo

We carried our bags off on May 10th. Half an hour was more than enough time for us to be standing in front of the port building. They were only beginning to bring the luggage from the ship to the corrals when we went through. I think the thing that might slow you down will be finding your luggage in the section they give you. Do something to it to help ID it in the crowd - hot pink bows on all the handles, contrasting straps or something - heck day glow paint a design on it! Once you have your bags the line moved pretty fast.

What an improvement since our last cruise from Bayonne!!! Easy as pie and with a person with a walker to boot! Drop off at the door, luggage taken immediately, entrance to the terminal at your feet and personnel so willing to help it was amazing.

We arrived around 11 but our cruise on the 17th started with the Coast Guard doing their inspection (that was interesting to watch as they also observed the drill), the new President of Celebrity on board and not fueling up as quickly so we sailed away after 5. BUT, the embarkation was the best yet!

Upon debarkation, if you or anyone in your party has walking issues, definitely have help. Just advise the desk. The terminal is right as you leave the ship but the luggage is at the other end of the terminal, a little longer walk. They were wonderful providing wheel chairs for those with needs and staff to push. Only be advised that if you meet in the section for those needs it might be longer as we observed that so many passengers are using walk-off with luggage. It was amazing to watch hundreds just leaving with their luggage.

Hope this helps.

Just starting to think about flights for next year. What time for departure would you all suggest? Is 11:30 good or later or earlier?

We're going to do walk-off disembarkation and are "get the lead out type of people", not slow-pokes. I'm hoping to use EWR but may have to use JFK instead.

Just starting to think about flights for next year. What time for departure would you all suggest? Is 11:30 good or later or earlier?

We're going to do walk-off disembarkation and are "get the lead out type of people", not slow-pokes. I'm hoping to use EWR but may have to use JFK instead.

If you are doing EWR, you should be fine, but if you end up at JFK, you may be in trouble with 11:30.

Personally, if I had to get to JFK from the Bayonne port, I wouldn't book a flight before 1:00PM. You also have to account for possible delays due to customs issues.

Edited by DinaS

Is it true that you don't make reservations to park your car at the cruise terminal? Can anyone confirm that we will have to take a shuttle with our luggage from the parking lot to the ship? Is the lot located after security so I don't have to worry about leaving our care there?

You drop off your luggage at the ship and then park your car and take a bus back to the terminal. Coming off last Sunday we brought our 2 suitcases on the bus back to the car and had no problems. You could also have one person take the bus to the car and then drive back to pick up the other(s) and luggage. Reservations to park weren't necessary and I'm not sure they're even available. The car is parked in a fenced in area but I don't know if they have security 24/7.

Edited by carads

I just want to know the time to request for getting off the ship. My driver will be in cell phone lot, probably, and I am to call once we are out front. Thanks for the info regarding saying what numbered area we are at.

Our luggage has those luggage huggers so they are easy to spot. Just too heavy for us to roll out as we leave ship, and don't mind just getting the luggage from section to pick up. So to comfortably allow for getting off ship, finding our luggage and making our way out to then call our driver (from dial 7 reservation)

Driver will meet us at 9:00. Should we request 8:00 or 8:15 or even 8:30 to disembark? That is all we are trying to figure out. (Please we do not need parking lot information as we won't have a parked car--just getting picked up by the driver.) Thanks, Anita

We were in group 3 which was scheduled as an 8:10 debarkation and left the lounge right about that time. We found our luggage, went through customs and were out the door of the terminal by 8:25 or so.

After researching and getting feedback on Cruise Critic, it seems that parking at the port is the way to go. We are going on on our cruise during the winter and are concerned if there is a lot of snow (as we had last year) and then a warm up with melting, will we return to a flooded car. Last night there was very heavy rain with major flooding in Bayonne, with cars partially submerged in water. Is this something that should affect our decision to park there?

Is it true that you don't make reservations to park your car at the cruise terminal? Can anyone confirm that we will have to take a shuttle with our luggage from the parking lot to the ship? Is the lot located after security so I don't have to worry about leaving our care there?
The lot is located inside the port area. This rough pic shows how it lays. The area where you drop off luggage is in front of the port building.

I think that Port Terminal Blvd goes farther to the right and loops around in front of the building. After you drop off luggage and/or people you drive along the red arrow to the parking area, park and ride the shuttle bus back to enter the port building.

That narrow white strip of covered parking area was some kind of special cruise parking not for us.

When we disembarked, we carried our bags off and hubby stood with them at the pick up area along the left end of the port building while I just took the quarter mile hike to get the car. There was a shuttle bus loading up, but I didn't want to wait for it.

terminal%20parking_zpsk7hlef2c.png

Edited by cheryl20772

So an 8:10 time would get us out of terminal at around 8:30, with finding our luggage. Good to know. We don't mind waiting then for the driver for 9:00 meeting time. Thank you. Anita

Agree that #9 is the best place to be picked up. The access road is three lanes wide. The left lane is through traffic, the right lane has cars stopping for pickup and the middle one is folks looking to get right or just double-parking for pickup. The right two lanes are very slow. If your driver keeps left he can coast past the crowd and then cut right at the very end of the pickup area into #9. Much quicker.

Also, as a former Staten Islander, if you're not returning on a weekend I'd avoid JFK in favor of EWR. The Staten Island Expressway is under long term construction and it can easily take over an hour to get from Bayonne to Brooklyn. Then you still have to deal with Belt Parkway traffic to JFK. EWR - 15 to 20 minutes, JFK 1.5 to 2+ hrs. More expensive cab ride too.

Sorry for the confusion! Ok, so If we get off ship at 8:15, that is enough time to find luggage, go through immagration, then call driver who I guess would be sitting in cell phone lot- and we would be standing out front for instructions by 9:00? Hoping to get response from passengers who have disembarked in the last couple of months, so to have a good sense of timing....

We just got off Summit in Cape Liberty Sunday. Our disembarkation time was 8:15 am. They called our number before we were even ready to leave. We got off the ship at 8:17 am. We got our luggage, went through customs and were outside the facility at 8:30 AM. We were Green 6 group.

We just got off Summit in Cape Liberty Sunday. Our disembarkation time was 8:15 am. They called our number before we were even ready to leave. We got off the ship at 8:17 am. We got our luggage, went through customs and were outside the facility at 8:30 AM. We were Green 6 group.

Thanks for the info. and welcome home! :)

Right after I posted a comment regarding dining stuff and asking about show information, I realized I forgot to ask you again regarding disembarkation.

So, since our pick up time is at 9:00 am, based on what you said, even 8:30 would be a good time to get off the ship, and be out front of terminal to meet our driver at 9:00?

Your comments and posts are very helpful to most of us. Some commenters are for some reason a bit nasty, which I can't figure out--I understood what you were saying that you and your husband really enjoy on cruises sitting with others at meals. Don't know why that poster wrote what he did. Peculiar to me, at least!

So thanks again for sharing your info. I'll try to pay it forward after our upcoming Summit sailing on the 21st this month. Anita

Right after I posted a comment regarding dining stuff and asking about show information, I realized I forgot to ask you again regarding disembarkation.

So, since our pick up time is at 9:00 am, based on what you said, even 8:30 would be a good time to get off the ship, and be out front of terminal to meet our driver at 9:00?

Your comments and posts are very helpful to most of us. Some commenters are for some reason a bit nasty, which I can't figure out--I understood what you were saying that you and your husband really enjoy on cruises sitting with others at meals. Don't know why that poster wrote what he did. Peculiar to me, at least!

So thanks again for sharing your info. I'll try to pay it forward after our upcoming Summit sailing on the 21st this month. Anita

Thanks Anita, I just answered another post about iHollywood. The disembarkation process was so easy it was scary. Can't believe it.

Like I said we walked off at 8:17 and took about 15 minutes total time.

And if for some reason they give you a high number tag to get off, just go to guest services and tell them you are being picked up and need to get off around 8:15 - 8:30 AM the latest. They will change it.