Will my clothes blow away on a Cove Balcony?

Sthrncrusr

We often let our swimsuits air dry out on our balconies but this is the first time we will be in a Cove balcony. What do people do when drying their swimsuits out there? Special clips to buy or should we not worry?

Thanks!

Allowing clothing or towels to be left alone on a balcony, cove or otherwise, is considered a possible safety hazard on a cruise ship. Several years ago, a very serious fire started on a balcony aboard the Star Princess. While some people do as you have done, and are thinking of doing so again, it is very unwise.

Use the clothesline in the shower.

To answer the original question, yes, its very possible that it will blow away.

Also, a smoldering cigarette butt can blow in and set the clothes on fire. It has happened before.

Please don't leave your clothes on the balcony unattended.

No clothes or anything flammable should be left on the balcony. Fire is one of the biggest hazards at sea, aside from crying babies at night, smokers on the balcony, people trying to take your favorite slot machine, and passengers bucking the buffet line.

To answer the original question, yes, its very possible that it will blow away.

Also, a smoldering cigarette butt can blow in and set the clothes on fire. It has happened before.

Please don't leave your clothes on the balcony unattended.

.......or your smoldering cigarette butts either.:(

And don't try to use the ocean for your ash tray. Only you can prevent cruise ship balcony fires!

Shouldnt leave things out on a balcony.

A few years ago a monkey blew off a balcony causing all kinds of problem when they thought it was a person.

Someone brought a pet monkey with them on the cruise? :confused: Was it at least a proper therapy monkey?

Seriously? I am sure it's FINE to leave your suits out there to dry..

The cove balconies are very enclosed, unlike the upper ones.

Also, smoking is no longer allowed on balconies. And yes, I have read that people are still doing it, but regardless, you shouldn't have any worries.

Seriously....don't leave your clothes out on the balcony, they warn you not to do this at the mandatory safety briefing. If the warning is important enough to require it's mention in a mandatory safety briefing....you probably should not do it.

Seriously....don't leave your clothes out on the balcony, they warn you not to do this at the mandatory safety briefing. If the warning is important enough to require it's mention in a mandatory safety briefing....you probably should not do it.

Exactly...We had an aft extended on a previous cruise and we would get lido trash on our balcony occasionally when the wind was right. I remember commenting to my husband that thankfully none of it was used cigarettes. Although, I'm sure they could catch fire with or without the clothing, the clothing sure is going to amplify matters. Plus I wouldn't want to risk losing anything if the wind got strong.

We often let our swimsuits air dry out on our balconies but this is the first time we will be in a Cove balcony. What do people do when drying their swimsuits out there? Special clips to buy or should we not worry?

Thanks!

only leave suits out when we are in port.....when we get on ship I bring them in. As far as using clothesline in bathroom....takes 2-4 days to dry in there.

I take some velcro (used for the garden its kind of light weight and has loads of uses) and run it thru a pant leg or swim suit armhole and around the chair arm. But we don't leave them out while we are out and about the ship. I spread my own beach towel across the chair and again use the velcro to tie a corner of the towel to the chair. I also take the velcro to the beach to secure items to a lounge chair to keep from blowing away.

No clothes or anything flammable should be left on the balcony. Fire is one of the biggest hazards at sea, aside from crying babies at night, smokers on the balcony, people trying to take your favorite slot machine, and passengers bucking the buffet line.

Lol. U have me laughing.

Thanks!

Please, for everyone's safety, no clothes or other items should be left on the balcony.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1845

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11975460/ns/us_news-life/t/cigarette-eyed-cause-cruise-blaze/#.VWj9TsvbLIU

I think they meant a stuffed animal monkey.....well I'm assuming that's what they meant ;)

It was a stuffed one and blew out to sea and the ship sailed in circles for hours thinking it was a man overboard. Of course the cruisers in the cabin would not have made it to the next port they would have been tossed or asked to leave at next port.

Was one of the funniest threads on here. Wish I could find it would love to read it.

But! KF from Connecticut says it is ok to hang clothes outside, so forget the guidelines of the US Coast Guard, every cruise line in the world, if KF says go ahead and do it, that is the final word!

Dear KF, please post all your future cruises, I want to be sure and avoid that sailing

It was a stuffed one and blew out to sea and the ship sailed in circles for hours thinking it was a man overboard. Of course the cruisers in the cabin would not have made it to the next port they would have been tossed or asked to leave at next port.

Was one of the funniest threads on here. Wish I could find it would love to read it.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it was an inflatable monkey that was tied to a chair or railing or something and came loose. The owners reported it right away, but once someone reports a possible person overboard, the ship is required to account for all passengers and crew. and until that completes, the ship is required to stay in a search pattern.

The delay was from uncooperative passengers who were in no hurry to be accounted for. The last few stragglers were the ones the Captain would love to have disembarked at the next port.

Seriously? I am sure it's FINE to leave your suits out there to dry..

The cove balconies are very enclosed, unlike the upper ones.

Also, smoking is no longer allowed on balconies. And yes, I have read that people are still doing it, but regardless, you shouldn't have any worries.

Please let everyone know when and what ship you are sailing on so we can NOT sail with you. We had friends on the Princess cruise when the balcony fire happened and they were scared *****less maybe you should gave been on that cruise, and you would have a different opinion in taking precautions to prevent a fire at sea