Could we ask to move?

Hi everyone, this is our first ever cruise, and we booked early saver, so didn't choose a cabin. When I just looked on cruise personaliser I was suprised that we have a cabin number already (only sailing on 25th July, Azura to Norwegian Fjords). I checked on the deck plans and we're in E104, which is the very last inside cabin at the front of the ship on E deck. I have no issue with that, but from the deck plans it means we're directly above the theatre. We have a 3 and 5 year old, and I'm worried it will be noisy late in to the night. Has anyone every stayed in these cabins? I looked on the cabin reviews but couldn't see any for this cabin. Do you think we could ask to move? I know that people will say we should have paid more to choose a cabin, but I don't want the holiday spoiled by being kept up all night.

Hi everyone, this is our first ever cruise, and we booked early saver, so didn't choose a cabin. When I just looked on cruise personaliser I was suprised that we have a cabin number already (only sailing on 25th July, Azura to Norwegian Fjords). I checked on the deck plans and we're in E104, which is the very last inside cabin at the front of the ship on E deck. I have no issue with that, but from the deck plans it means we're directly above the theatre. We have a 3 and 5 year old, and I'm worried it will be noisy late in to the night. Has anyone every stayed in these cabins? I looked on the cabin reviews but couldn't see any for this cabin. Do you think we could ask to move? I know that people will say we should have paid more to choose a cabin, but I don't want the holiday spoiled by being kept up all night.

Hi, I can't speak for Azura but I have sailed on the Grand Princess (almost identical in design) in a cabin directly below the theatre and did not hear any noise at all. I'd imagine that,l if you were unlucky enough to get some noise, the latest that you would experience it would be 2315-2330. By all means ask for a different cabin if you feel the current location is unsuitable - it costs nothing to ask.

Edited by wobblybob74

You can ask, but be prepared for them to say no.

With early saver and saver fares they slot people in where they have empty cabins, if the cruise is selling well on select fares, the bestest cabins would have been nabbed by those people.

This is the trade off for the cheaper prices. As has been posted they only had noise for a short while, so you may be lucky too.

That is unfortunately the risk of paying less and booking an early saver.

We've stayed directly above the theatre on Oceana and never heard a thing!!

The same for us except on Oriana. The only thing that came through was a very low bass that was actually quite soothing.

At least you know that when the last show finishes at I expect 11.30 the theatre will be empty afterwards. If you are above one of the nightclubs it could go on all night.

Have you booked a cabin with pull down beds? I would be interested how you get on as I have grandchildren the same age and my daughter wouldn't let them sleep up there as they move around a lot at night. They would have to book a deluxe/ superior balcony to get a sofa bed which would work out very expensive. So no cruising for them for a while.

We once had an inside cabin on the Crown princess and although we didn't look at the deck plans, it must have been above the theatre as we could hear everything - rehearsals in the afternoon and the performances in the evening.

I hope it won't be the same for you, and that the children are able to sleep. I have a feeling that if you ask for a change of cabin you'll be disappointed by the response. As others have said, being given whatever is left is a risk that is taken when you go for the cheaper prices. We have a guarantee cabin booked at the moment, but we don't have kids and we aren't too fussy about cabin position, so we'll take the chance of a noisy room!

If you do ask them, could you comeback and post what their answer was/is just in case there is someone in a similar situation. Thank you.

We tried to change our cabin last week. We booked early saver and were upgraded two categories. The cabin I wanted was still available and was two categories lower than the one they had given us. They said because we'd booked early saver we couldn't pick our cabin at all so good luck :-)

Edited by netchells

Thank you everyone. We contacted the travel agent to see what they would say, and she said they arent even allowed to ask for changes as it's in the terms and conditions. She assured me she hadn't ever had anyone complain about noise though from theatres (although this may be because no one has ever complained to her, or even stayed above them!)

I found a review of a different (outside) cabin on board above the theatre and they said they had noise, but then someone who stayed in E104 (the one we're in) said they hadn't heard anything.

I know you take a risk when you book early saver and have no guarantees, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Amajaa - Only my 5 year old will be up in the bunk (and with a bed rail). Me or DH will be up on the other one, no way would I put my 3 year old up on a bunk, especially not on a ship, he'd be off in 5 minutes!

Not sure I would book with your travel agent again! They should always at least ask for you. And they should point out the pitfalls of Early saver fares that they are alwYs so keen to sell. I know what the terms and conditions are but there is still plenty of time for you to put the request in and see if you can get moved. There will be many others who haven't been allocated a cabin yet.

If I were you,I would call p & o anyway, select the " booked direct with P &O " option and see where you get. Point out you are a first time cruiser - it may help.

And I will say now that I always book select so I generally take the view that saver/ early saver fare people have to take the risk of getting what they get with their cheaper price ....but that shouldn't stop you at least trying to get your cabin changed if you are worried.

Not sure I would book with your travel agent again! They should always at least ask for you. And they should point out the pitfalls of Early saver fares that they are alwYs so keen to sell. I know what the terms and conditions are but there is still plenty of time for you to put the request in and see if you can get moved. There will be many others who haven't been allocated a cabin yet.

If I were you,I would call p & o anyway, select the " booked direct with P &O " option and see where you get. Point out you are a first time cruiser - it may help.

And I will say now that I always book select so I generally take the view that saver/ early saver fare people have to take the risk of getting what they get with their cheaper price ....but that shouldn't stop you at least trying to get your cabin changed if you are worried.

Thanks mysticalmother, I may just do that. What I am aware is that at least we're not above a club which may be noisy very late into the night!

Thank you everyone. We contacted the travel agent to see what they would say, and she said they arent even allowed to ask for changes as it's in the terms and conditions. She assured me she hadn't ever had anyone complain about noise though from theatres (although this may be because no one has ever complained to her, or even stayed above them!)

I found a review of a different (outside) cabin on board above the theatre and they said they had noise, but then someone who stayed in E104 (the one we're in) said they hadn't heard anything.

I know you take a risk when you book early saver and have no guarantees, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Amajaa - Only my 5 year old will be up in the bunk (and with a bed rail). Me or DH will be up on the other one, no way would I put my 3 year old up on a bunk, especially not on a ship, he'd be off in 5 minutes!

My son and DIL say that the pullman bunks on our Emerald Princess cruise last year stated that children under 8 yr s should not use these bunks. Emerald is almost identical to Azura.

If you book an early saver or a saver fare and then don't like where your cabin is, I'm afraid I say tough...people pay a lot more money to select their cabins under select fares so why should those who book later and get a cheaper fare be able to,pick and choose? It may sound harsh but I get fed up with p&o giving into passenegrs demands all the time when it should stick to its own terms and conditions. The amount of people who opt for a free upgrade and then complain they don't want the cabin because it's not in a convenient position etc really annoys me..they go moaning back to p&o who then give in and either put them back where they originally were or offer then another cabin..

Merely my opinion of course!

If you book an early saver or a saver fare and then don't like where your cabin is, I'm afraid I say tough...people pay a lot more money to select their cabins under select fares so why should those who book later and get a cheaper fare be able to,pick and choose? It may sound harsh but I get fed up with p&o giving into passenegrs demands all the time when it should stick to its own terms and conditions. The amount of people who opt for a free upgrade and then complain they don't want the cabin because it's not in a convenient position etc really annoys me..they go moaning back to p&o who then give in and either put them back where they originally were or offer then another cabin..

I don't understand why the lines even consider requests to move, it seems to defeat the purpose of guarantee cabins.

However while they do it doesn't hurt to ask.

That's a bit of a harsh opinion, IMO of course.

We have no option but to book very early, on launch preferably, since my wife requires an accessible cabin, but I have no problem with others taking advantage of cheaper saver deals. In addition if after all select fare passengers have chosen their preference of cabin, dining etc, there are opportunities for saver fare passengers to switch cabin or dining, then good luck to them. We would certainly be doing the same if we were able to.

That's a bit of a harsh opinion, IMO of course.

We have no option but to book very early, on launch preferably, since my wife requires an accessible cabin, but I have no problem with others taking advantage of cheaper saver deals. In addition if after all select fare passengers have chosen their preference of cabin, dining etc, there are opportunities for saver fare passengers to switch cabin or dining, then good luck to them. We would certainly be doing the same if we were able to.

I'm just quoting what it says in brochures and t&c's etc. However there are huge differences in the prices of select v early saver/saver fares so people who book select and pay a higher price are quite right to feel miffed when someon comes along, pays half the price, and then wants to move to a better cabin...if people are that fussy they should pay the select price.

We had an early saver on Oriana last year and were above the cinema, and yes we heard quite a lot of noise whilst the films were on, did we request a move? Of course not we just got on with it and I always pack earplugs now after a very noisy air con unit so am prepared!

We have just come off the Azura and our cabin E730 was directly above the Manhattan bar/club, We chose and paid for this cabin but not having sailed on the Azura before and not doing enough home work on the whereabouts of the cabin had to endure some very late (approx until 4am in the morning) music thumping out and then hear the bands practice sessions from 9am in the morning.

We thought the cabins were great and really enjoyed the Azura and would sail on her again but obviously in another cabin, as has been said already if you were to get any noise from the theatre then it would be over before midnight.

Hope you enjoy your 1st cruise.

We have just come back from Ventura and our friends were allocated E104 which is the same layout as Azura. Unfortunately they were kept awake at nights with what they thought was crew parties going on. Hope you don't have the same problem. They booked on a saver and were well aware they couldn't be moved.

We have just come back from Ventura and our friends were allocated E104 which is the same layout as Azura. Unfortunately they were kept awake at nights with what they thought was crew parties going on. Hope you don't have the same problem. They booked on a saver and were well aware they couldn't be moved.

I would be asking to be moved it there were crew parties going on, that is completely unacceptable. Thank you for those who have posted helpful replies. I'm hoping we will have no problems during our cruise, and will post a review when we get back.