Luggage tag question

We are flying in the day of our cruise departure. The luggage tags are paper and I would think they would tear as luggage is moved within the plane and baggage claim.

Any suggestions on how to handle? The obvious suggestion is to take a stapler but that seems over the top to me.

Thanks for any help.

We are flying in the day of our cruise departure. The luggage tags are paper and I would think they would tear as luggage is moved within the plane and baggage claim.

Any suggestions on how to handle? The obvious suggestion is to take a stapler but that seems over the top to me.

Thanks for any help.

You can get cruise luggage tag holders from a place like Amazon.

Or you can have the porters make luggage tags for you at the pier.

I have used the Luggage tags I got from the Cruise Critic store for the last 3 cruises and they are holding up great. I always put them on after I get my luggage at the airport

I know of 3 ways.

First--Do a search on Amazon for "cruise luggage tags" and those will be able to be used over and over again.

Second--Take the stapler. When I did this I used clear tape to laminate the tags so that they tear too easily and took one of the mini staplers. Not a big deal.

Third--Get tags from the porter

You are supposed to get them sent to you if you are concierge for free. My cruise info says documents to be emailed so when I called them they "said" I'll get them sent. We'll see. I want them sent because basically I did pay for them being concierge and there's 7 of us and my printer gobbles up the ink.

After we have gotten our luggage at our cruise location airport I use our just used airline luggage tags as a tape source to attach our cruise tags to our bags when flying in for our cruises. Just pull apart the attached ends of the airline tag apart, removed the left on backing paper from the portion that wasn't used to make the joint to attach it to the luggage and use it as tape to secure the ends of the cruise tags. I don't overlap the ends of the cruise tag as per the instructions for stapling but simply butt the ends together as there is a stronger, more durable joint with tape on both sides of each end of the cruise tag and the airline tag is wide enough to do so.

As scissors or a small knife is required to cut and shorten the airline tag since this film stock is quite strong and cannot be rip by hand into a shorter length, I just keep wrapping this improvised piece of tape around the cruise tag ends until all of it is used up . We done this many times and all of our luggage has always arrived in our cabin with the cruise tags intact. In fact to remove a tag attached in this manner I've had to tear the paper as the many layers of tape at the joint is too strong to be ripped apart easily.

Another alternative is to bring a small roll of duct tape and use that to secure the ends together. This I also typically have with me but using the old airline tag worked best for us.

Edited by robtulipe

You get a cheap small kid's type stapler, and staple it once you retrieve your bags from the airline. Doesn't take up much space or weight.

If you are flying in a day advance, you could ask the front desk for a stapler.

I always put all the tags on before we leave home. I laminate them with clear packaging tape and then staple them on. We have never had an issue with the airlines ripping or tearing them off for at least 3 different cruises.

I always put all the tags on before we leave home. I laminate them with clear packaging tape and then staple them on. We have never had an issue with the airlines ripping or tearing them off for at least 3 different cruises.

I'm always afraid my bags will get mis-routed if I put the cruise line tags on them before the flight.

You go on Amazon and get plastic luggage tags. You put the paper tags inside the plastic tags and attach to your luggage. These can be used again, just take the paper tags out and put new paper tags inside. They are very good, I have a set now for four years already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You go on Amazon and get plastic luggage tags. You put the paper tags inside the plastic tags and attach to your luggage. These can be used again, just take the paper tags out and put new paper tags inside. They are very good, I have a set now for four years already.

Plus, we use the luggage tag holders for our departure tags too. I think they are much more likely to stay on the bags that way than the tags alone.

Last year my SIL & our daughter never got their tags for the Transpacific before we left for Sydney & the NZ cruise but since they were staying in the same cabin, I made up extra tags, then made up name tags and date of sailing and attached to their luggage tags. The night before we left for the terminal they changed out the tags for the Transpacific

You get a cheap small kid's type stapler, and staple it once you retrieve your bags from the airline. Doesn't take up much space or weight.

If you are flying in a day advance, you could ask the front desk for a stapler.

I've tried using several different small, light weight staplers and the small light gauge staples these use very rarely would penetrate the 10 layers of paper at the joint of the quad fold RCI tag. Nor would these work well on the 6 layers of paper resulting with the two fold Princess print your own luggage tag.

I would definitely test any stapler you want to bring for this before leaving your cruise. Even some full size regular staplers, like the ones hotel front decks uses, have a problem pushing the light weight staples they use through 8 layers of paper.

That is another advantage using durable film type tape has over stapling when attaching print your own luggage tags. ;)

Edited by robtulipe