Did I make a mistake

Hi Everyone!!! New Here with a bit of a concern.

My husband and I's first and last cruise was a couples only cruise in 2009 on the Sensation. We absolutely loved it and had always planned to cruise again but always ended up doing other vacations. So I decided that no matter what we do next year a cruise will be at least a part of it.

So, the plan for next July was 4 days at Disney and a 3 day cruise out of Canaveral for the whole family. Kids will be 16, 15, 13, and 11 one being a family friend's kid. After booking the cruise I began to remember all the parties, drunken college students passed out, peeing in the seats and pool, yes they peed in the pool :eek:, and a couple fights.

I did not book early saver so changing should be ok. Correct?

Did I make a mistake booking this cruise with kids or do you think it would be ok. This is their first cruise so I want them to enjoy it while being safe and not being witness to too much fun.

Thanks!

I have done a 3 night cruise with my kids out of port canaveral and never experience anything bad. We have been doing 7 nights more recently, but I do have several experiences with 3 night cruises and they hand all been fine. Might depend on the time of year. I can say that the 3 night I did out of Miami had a more lively crowd verses port canaveral but I did not consider it a bad experience.

The 3 night Sensation out of Port Canaveral was, without a doubt, the most horrendous cruise experience in my 34+ years of cruising.

Edited by Tapi

The Disney Dream is in port at the same time so we thought about just switching the Carnival booking to a later date for just hubby and I and booking Disney for the family, but I am not sure yet.

I will talk with him and come to a decision.

Thanks again everyone!

The Disney Dream is in port at the same time so we thought about just switching the Carnival booking to a later date for just hubby and I and booking Disney for the family, but I am not sure yet.

I will talk with him and come to a decision.

Thanks again everyone!

You will absolutely LOVE the Dream. She is an amazing ship. She's having a minor dry dock this November and they are redoing part of one of the kids clubs to be like the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars and they are redoing the front of deck 12 to be like Satellite Falls on the Disney Fantasy, which is an amazing adults only area.

Also, the rotational dining with the servers that follow you throughout the 3 MDR's is wonderful. One night you will eat in Animators Palate where you will have the chance to interact with Crush from Finding Nemo.

Lastly, you can save money by cruising in the inside staterooms as they all have the magical portholes which give you realtime views of either the forward, aft, port or starboard side of the ship. The beds and linens on the Disney ships are the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

My husband and I's first and last cruise was a couples only cruise in 2009 on the Sensation. We absolutely loved it and had always planned to cruise again but always ended up doing other vacations. So I decided that no matter what we do next year a cruise will be at least a part of it.

So, the plan for next July was 4 days at Disney and a 3 day cruise out of Canaveral for the whole family. Kids will be 16, 15, 13, and 11 one being a family friend's kid. After booking the cruise I began to remember all the parties, drunken college students passed out, peeing in the seats and pool, yes they peed in the pool :eek:, and a couple fights.

Did I make a mistake booking this cruise with kids or do you think it would be ok. This is their first cruise so I want them to enjoy it while being safe and not being witness to too much fun.

Thanks!

Instead of Carnival, try going on the Enchantment of the Seas instead. The kids will have just as much fun, and it won't be as wild as Carnival. :D

Instead of Carnival, try going on the Enchantment of the Seas instead. The kids will have just as much fun, and it won't be as wild as Carnival. :D

I did notice that EOTS was much lower on the published "wild scale" :confused:, 30 cruises on CArnival and have never experienced wild....but go figure. Of course, having not sailed both ships, I would not make a recommendation to the OP, you of course have:cool:.

OP, I am certain you will enjoy whatever you decide. Curious as to the price diffrence between the three ships. Let us know your decision and appreciate the feedback when you come back.

Edited by jimbo5544

If you've done Disney World before and really want to take a cruise, I'd go for a 7 or 8 day cruise on one of the newer ships.

Have you looked at the Breeze out of Miami? Or the Sunshine? They have a lot of bells and whistles and I'm sure your family would have a great time.

If you split between Disney World and the cruise, you're going to end up shorting yourself on both. Only a few days in Disney usually means rush, rush, rush, and the same on the cruise. It'll feel like you're getting off only moments after you got on.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I will check out all the options and let you all know the price differences and our final decision. Either way it is a vacation so it will be fun.

Excellent attitude! :D Happy cruising!

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I will check out all the options and let you all know the price differences and our final decision. Either way it is a vacation so it will be fun.

Having done Disney World in July with kids, I WOULD NOT recommend it. It was hot and crowded and made for VERY long days. We spent 4 days there and still didn't see very much because of the LONG lines.

Since you've already done Disney, I would recommend a 7 nt. cruise on the Sunshine, if your keen to sail out of Pt. Canaveral. If changing ports isn't an issue, I would go with the Breeze, Dream or Magic.

You could go on one of the newer, fancier ships like the Oasis or Allure or even go on a Disney cruise, but all of these options will set you back a ton more money.

I think you and your kids would have a much better time on a longer cruise vs trying to pack too much into a shorter period of time.

Thanks!

If you're bringing a family friend's kid, be sure to have a letter from the parents giving you permission to take him or her out of the country.

If you're bringing a family friend's kid, be sure to have a letter from the parents giving you permission to take him or her out of the country.

Yes, we know about this. Thanks for the reminder though.

Ok I was able to sit down and take a look at a few things. I pretty much just stuck to the Canaveral port for cost comparison. Did a mock booking for 1 balcony, 1 interior for 2 adults & 4 kids.

RCCL- 7 Nights Eastern, Enchantment of the Seas (I think)=just over 6K

DCL-3 Night Bahamas, Dream=just over 6K :eek:

CCL, 7 Night Eastern, Valor=just under 6K

So my next question would be since I didn't book early saver I can change my reservation without a fee correct?

I booked during the 50% deposit so if I change will I need to add $ to the deposit after the change?

I would never book a 3 day booze cruise

this. at least not with kids...

I'd skip the three days at disney and do a 7 day cruise...that's just me.

Edit, nm, I see you're looking at longer cruises. I don't know the answer, we had to pay pp to change our dates, but I have no idea how we were booked. I know you need to call carnival to change.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

I have done Disney in July, it was miserable. It is hot and crowded. To make it even better, there were several LARGE groups of teens from South America. Heaven help you if you get in line behind them for a ride, it will be a while. Also, for American standards they are very loud and some might say, obnoxious.

Each group stayed together and did everything as a group. If you do Disney in July (and I suspect it is the same for other summer months) make sure you aren't in sync with them as to rides, eating, etc.

Finally, be prepared for it to rain EVERY afternoon.

As a whole we definitely enjoyed our vacation in Disney, but I will never go again in July if I can help it.

Yes, we know about this. Thanks for the reminder though.

Ok I was able to sit down and take a look at a few things. I pretty much just stuck to the Canaveral port for cost comparison. Did a mock booking for 1 balcony, 1 interior for 2 adults & 4 kids.

So my next question would be since I didn't book early saver I can change my reservation without a fee correct?

I booked during the 50% deposit so if I change will I need to add $ to the deposit after the change?

As long as you're outside of final payment, and didn't book early saver, then yes, you can change with no cost. Since there's not the special of 50% deposits, then yes, you'll need to add money to your deposit.

Is your timeframe limited to July? It's pretty much the most expensive month of the year to cruise.