Alaska here we come! Packed??

lovetotraveltx

It is finally here our 30th Anniversary bucket list trip. Land and Sea ALASKA!

What did you pack and wish you left home and what did you leave home and wish you packed??

Also, for tips on tours, land and sea, room service on sea, Knick Knacks, food on street, how much cash are you comfortable bringing?

Appreciate all the great help during this 1.5 year journey to this point!:D

What did you pack and wish you left home and what did you leave home and wish you packed??

Also, for tips on tours, land and sea, room service on sea, Knick Knacks, food on street, how much cash are you comfortable bringing?

We were on the Century 3 years ago. LOVED IT. A really nice old style ship. We left from Vancouver, up the Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Point Straight, Hubbard Glacier and back.

Bring binoculars

Packing wise pack for all weathers :)

Sailing up through the inside passage towards Hubbard Glacier it was really cold. We literally came up for breakfast that morning seen the scenery around us and went back to our room for our fleeces, jackets , hats , scarfs and gloves and where outside for at least 4-5 hours .

Ketchikan and Juneau were really wet. We stopped in Icy Point Straight and did a whale watching tour and bear tour. Whale watching was brilliant the bear tour not so great. The tour guide was lucky we spotted a mother bear and 2 cubs in the distance.

Money: we had a few dollars but used our credit card for most things. there is a great fudge shop in Juneau, great tourist shop across from were the ship docked great for postcards, t-shirts and shot glasses.

Enjoy your trip. Alaska we will definitely be doing again:)

Edited by tan2199

Layers. Top layer something like a Gore Tex jacket. Not water resistant but totally water repellant.

Pack your extra heavy stuff in a Space Bag and suck out the air to save luggage room.

Gloves - for that day cruising the glacier. Yes, you'll want them. Also a hat or warm head wrap thingy like for skiing. Just to cover the ears. There's ice in the water all around you, it's cold!

have fun!!!

Wished I had packed an extra hooded sweatshirt. We went in July and I was freezing. I brought a full length rain coat and a windbreaker and a sweatshirt and I still had to buy a warmer hooded sweatshirt in Skagway.

We usually bring about $200 cash when we travel. Not sure what others do.

I am already packed as well…Of course, Beth will wait until the last minute…

As for carrying cash, I feel just as comfortable as I do at home…but, just in case, since I bank with Wells Fargo, I checked them out…They have three in Seward including one near the pier at Seward Highway and Aspen Lane… and they have a bank/ATM in Skagway at 6th and Broadway, several in Juneau, including one at 2nd and Seward St., a few in Ketchikan including one right by the docks on Water Street and a bank at Main Street and Dock Street…There are several ATMs near the pier in Vancouver where one can get Canadian dollars if needed…

Everyone has given you excellent advice so I will just leave it at that.

I know you have been planning this cruise for a long time ---- I wish you a smooth sailing, great weather and many wonderful memories to last you a life time.

If you haven't already done so, don't forget to call your credit card company and let them know about your travel --- I have seen people's cards get rejected in Alaska as well as Vancouver because the cc company thought the purchases were "unusual activity."

Enjoy --- take care of the Millie --- we sail right after you disembark.

We usually bring about $200 cash when we travel. Not sure what others do.

How much cash to bring varies--it depends a lot on what you have planned for the trip. For example, if you have private tours booked in port, some require payment in cash...For this Alaska trip, we have a private tour in Skagway that requires $79 per person paid in cash on the day of the tour--so, for us, $200 would not be near enough...

I figure what I need for any paid in cash tours plus money for assorted tips--airport skycaps, cruise ship porters, tips for tour guides, some extra cash for crew members who go above and beyond, etc. Then I figure I'll need walking around money in ports and pre- and post-cruise--like taxis, snacks, etc....and then round UP...

Then leave most of the cash you know you won't need on a particular day in the safe in your cabin and only bring with you in port what you need that day...

For THIS cruise, I'm only doing the cruise, not the cruisetour, so I figure I'll need that $158 for the Skagway tour--plus about $25 more or less as tips for the guide and driver...My whale watch tour in ISP is pre-paid, but I'll bring along about $40 for tips...My Ketchikan tour is a shorex and prepaid, but I'll bring $10 for a tip for the tour guide...And, in Juneau, we're just taking the shuttle to Mendenhall...I'll need $40 for the fare...and I'll bring some singles to tip the driver about $2 each way...My shuttle/tour from Anchorage to Juneau is prepaid, but I'll bring $20 to tip the driver/guide...add a few dollars to tip skycaps, porters, etc. and that's $300 right there...

Past that, I always carry around $200 so I have extra money with which to supplement the onboard tips... and for snacks, miscellaneous, purchases where they don't take credit cards, etc. So, $500 is a good number for us for this trip...

I will usually go inside the bank so I can make sure to get various denominations--so I'll always have singles and fives where smaller tips are involved (rather than use the ATM where every bill is a twenty)...

I go through a similar thought process for every cruise and the number comes out very different for every cruise--as one would suspect...

How much cash to bring varies--it depends a lot on what you have planned for the trip. For example, if you have private tours booked in port, some require payment in cash...For this Alaska trip, we have a private tour in Skagway that requires $79 per person paid in cash on the day of the tour--so, for us, $200 would not be near enough...

I figure what I need for any paid in cash tours plus money for assorted tips--airport skycaps, cruise ship porters, tips for tour guides, some extra cash for crew members who go above and beyond, etc. Then I figure I'll need walking around money in ports and pre- and post-cruise--like taxis, snacks, etc....and then round UP...

Then leave most of the cash you know you won't need on a particular day in the safe in your cabin and only bring with you in port what you need that day...

For THIS cruise, I'm only doing the cruise, not the cruisetour, so I figure I'll need that $158 for the Skagway tour--plus about $25 more or less as tips for the guide and driver...My whale watch tour in ISP is pre-paid, but I'll bring along about $40 for tips...My Ketchikan tour is a shorex and prepaid, but I'll bring $10 for a tip for the tour guide...And, in Juneau, we're just taking the shuttle to Mendenhall...I'll need $40 for the fare...and I'll bring some singles to tip the driver about $2 each way...My shuttle/tour from Anchorage to Juneau is prepaid, but I'll bring $20 to tip the driver/guide...add a few dollars to tip skycaps, porters, etc. and that's $300 right there...

Past that, I always carry around $200 so I have extra money with which to supplement the onboard tips... and for snacks, miscellaneous, purchases where they don't take credit cards, etc. So, $500 is a good number for us for this trip...

I will usually go inside the bank so I can make sure to get various denominations--so I'll always have singles and fives where smaller tips are involved (rather than use the ATM where every bill is a twenty)...

I go through a similar thought process for every cruise and the number comes out very different for every cruise--as one would suspect...

Hi Steve...Is there a special name for the shuttle to and from Mendenhall? Is it $20 roundtrip per person? Thinking we might want to do that as well.

See you soon!

Almost packed!

I generally will bring, on average, about $30 per day per person. You just figure in the possible need for cab fare and/or the need to grab a bite to eat some place quick. If you're planning on gambling on the ship, bring an extra $100 on top of it.

Just my 2¢

Hi Steve...Is there a special name for the shuttle to and from Mendenhall? Is it $20 roundtrip per person? Thinking we might want to do that as well.

See you soon!

Almost packed!

$20 per person round trip. Picks up at the Cruise terminal every 30 minutes:

http://www.juneautours.com/shuttle-mendenhall-glacier/

This is extra cash. The OP wanted to know what to bring for miscellaneous tips and trinket purchases not planned excursions.

Obviously if we have an excursion(s) that needs to be paid in cash that would not be included in the miscellaneous amount.

Edited by CruisingChick

Thanks everyone! Steve and Gradelady, see you soon. I'm not packed unless I can take my futon with me, lol!

Anyone that has been to Alaska lug around something they didn't use. Or, some little useful thing I might not have thought of??That's my biggest concern. Got the cold, layers and waterproofing covered.

Thanks everyone! Steve and Gradelady, see you soon. I'm not packed unless I can take my futon with me, lol!

Anyone that has been to Alaska lug around something they didn't use. Or, some little useful thing I might not have thought of??That's my biggest concern. Got the cold, layers and waterproofing covered.

When we went two years ago, we used everything we brought. Took advantage of laundry service on the ship for clothes that got some wear on the pre-cruise land tour. Don't forget your umbrellas, I think we are going to need them!

See you soon! Safe travels!

Do not forget your mosquito repellent! I've been to Alaska once before in June and the mosquitos were HUGE! :eek:

Really? I went last month and never saw a mosquito.

We are starting to look at various Alaska land and sea tours for our 25th anniversay also...So much to learn apparently.

Safe Travels!!!!!

Claudia B suggested the Space Bag and sucking out the air. I use the Hefty Jumbo 2.5 gallon zip bag which is a great size for sleeveless jackets, sweaters, and sweatshirts. Fold them to fit and when ready to pack, zip almost to close then put the pack on a firm chair, sit on it and the air will get pushed out and the pack will be completely flat, now finish the zip. Save the bags in you suitcase and on the return trip do the same thing.............