Medical Evacuation (Air)

Pipo

Does anyone know how much an helicopter extraction could cost from a ship at sea (the Mediterranean)? My insurance covers up to $100,000 for transportation and convalescence, but I'm not sure how much will remain for the convalescence after calling for an air ambulance...

Has anyone been in that situation before?

Edited by Pipo

Does anyone know how much an helicopter extraction could cost from a ship at sea (the Mediterranean)? My insurance covers up to $100,000 for transportation and convalescence, but I'm not sure how much will remain for the convalescence after calling for an air ambulance...

Has anyone been in that situation before?

I haven't personally been in that situation, but on our cruise last year, there was someone airlifted to a hospital from the ship.

I recall reading somewhere that it was about $30,000 for the helicopter evacuation.

I would think that $100,000 in your trip insurance would be enough to get back to the U.S. for treatment, where your regular health insurance would apply.

I think it would vary, depending on who comes to get you and how far you are from where you need to be. For instance, I'd bet the Greek islands are used to medevac and are probably set up for it. Get caught halfway between Spain and Sicily and the helicopter would need to be one of greater range. Also, getting flown off for something cardiac might require bypassing (pun partially-intended) the nearest facility - which could be a not much more than a clinic - for a major hospital equipped for serious cardiac emergencies.

But US$30K is a good starting point for your planning.

It is rare to have helicopter evacs from ships in the Med since the ships are usually close enough to a port to avoid a risky helicopter transfer. These operations involve enough risk so that ships try to avoid them if at all possible. But when there are helicopter evacuations they are often done by a nearby Coast Guard or military helicopter. Most of the time the patients are not charged for these rescues. Keep in mind that an Air Ambulance from London to New York would cost far less then $100,000 so we think you have enough evac insurance.

About 2 years ago we were on a HAL cruise (Veendam) when a passenger needed immediate evacuation. We were about 100 miles off the Mexican coast and were due to arrive in San Diego the following day. We were still out of range of even the large Coast Guard choppers so the US Navy stepped up to the plate. They sent a Navy Seal helicopter (from San Diego) along with a KC130 tanker (this is a large 4 engine turboprop plane used for special ops). The helicopter dropped their paramedic on our deck and then went off to do its air to air refueling. A few minutes later the chopper returned and hoisted both the patient and their paramedic aboard and flew the patient to San Diego. Total cost to the patient was zero! This was actually written-up in a San Diego newspaper and a military spokesperson said they did this because they could...and it was also a good training exercise.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Last year on Infinity we watched a helicopter medevac. He were somewhere off of France and the French navy did the evac. Never heard how that was billed.

We have never seen a helicopter evac. However, the last time we were in Turks and Caicos a passenger required a medical evac to Miami. According to the ships physician the Learjet fee was $25,000.

My friend had an unexpected condition the first night of our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale several years ago and had to be air lifted back to Miami. She was told it could cost close to $60,000 if the Coast Guard was not available and they had to use a private source. Luckily for her the Coast Guard was available because she hadn't purchased travel insurance, so there was no charge. Not the Med, but a good lesson for everyone how important travel insurance is.

I suspect it would be done by boat. Captains loathe helicopter transfers due to immense safety risks. And in the Med I just dont think it would happen. If the local AirForce was available then they might assist. But it truly would be life and death.

Edited by Pushka

I tried to get information on this same question a year or so ago. Information is hard to find.

My conclusion was to take 100k of evacuation coverage AND an annual medjet policy. It's not just the money....it's who decides if you evacuate back to your home. Medjet is very important because YOU decide and it's not up to the doctors and the insurance company to decide its medically required that you be flown home. Read the insurance forum her on cc.

The last several years we also have purchased annual Medjet coverage. It is surprisingly inexpensive.

It is very inexpensive especially if you take several cruises a year. Unfortunately when my DH turns 75 it becomes much more expensive.

Anyone had firsthand experience with claims?

I tried to get information on this same question a year or so ago. Information is hard to find.

My conclusion was to take 100k of evacuation coverage AND an annual medjet policy. It's not just the money....it's who decides if you evacuate back to your home. Medjet is very important because YOU decide and it's not up to the doctors and the insurance company to decide its medically required that you be flown home. Read the insurance forum her on cc.

Thanks for all the answers. Just found the insurance forum here in CC. I'll dig into it.

Medjet applies if you are being transferred from a hospital to your home hospital. It does not transfer you if you are being released from the hospital to home. It is good if hospitalized 150 miles from home or more.

On that thread last year, I pointed out that air-sea rescue from the UK could be by a number of organisations, some private. Currently, the UK is in the process of outsourcing all its air-sea rescue to a private company [who will employ Prince William].

I am sure that this will be a growing trend in many parts of the world [privatisation not employing royalty!]. Where evacuation may have been free at the point of use in the past, charges may be made in the future.

Edited by Project_gal

Medjet applies if you are being transferred from a hospital to your home hospital. It does not transfer you if you are being released from the hospital to home. It is good if hospitalized 150 miles from home or more.

This is interesting, but makes sense.

I am very confused on what to purchase for our upcoming cruise year. :eek: We have 3-4 cruise trips planned between October 16th (out of London) and the end of September 2016 (New England/Canada. Cruise ends the 16th of October.) Then we have another in February 2017. Have not planned passed this date.

In the past, we have purchased CSA Luxe individually for each cruise because they offer the most coverage with evacuation (already had 2 this year to the Caribbean.) The Medjet sounds like the way to go, but what about other issues like medical cost, hospitalization, trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, baggage claims, etc. that CSA covers along with evacuation?

For those that buy Medjet insurance, do you also buy a trip insurance policy. If so, what?

• 2 weeks later...
This is interesting, but makes sense.

I am very confused on what to purchase for our upcoming cruise year. :eek: We have 3-4 cruise trips planned between October 16th (out of London) and the end of September 2016 (New England/Canada. Cruise ends the 16th of October.) Then we have another in February 2017. Have not planned passed this date.

In the past, we have purchased CSA Luxe individually for each cruise because they offer the most coverage with evacuation (already had 2 this year to the Caribbean.) The Medjet sounds like the way to go, but what about other issues like medical cost, hospitalization, trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, baggage claims, etc. that CSA covers along with evacuation?

For those that buy Medjet insurance, do you also buy a trip insurance policy. If so, what?

We buy an annual MedJet policy, Our medigap policies cover up to $50K of foreign medical costs and we buy a Travel insurance policy at time of final payment to cover the rest. I am considering adding GeoBlu (annual) and not taking travel insurance at all....in essence covering the cost of the cruise, lost baggage, etc ourselves.