New England/Canada Seas in Oct

Kaibocan

Can anyone tell me if you had rough seas on a previous New England/Canada cruise? We are going in October and I am curious what our "at sea" day will be like since some of our group have some seasickness issues.

Thank you

On our Oct 2013 New England cruise aboard the CB there was no excess movement than what you would normally encounter. In Bar Harbor it was very windy, and we took a excursion at the pier from one of the local sightseeing companies. We had some rough patches getting near Arcadia national park, but thoroughly enjoyed the excursion. Loved our Canada/New England cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat

Fall weather in the Northeast changes frequently with fronts coming off the coast from the mid-west and possible tropical systems moving north towards New England. That said, Mother Nature rules and the ocean waves follow.:D

Take sea sickness meds on your cruise and they should help.

Edited by Mom33

Can anyone tell me if you had rough seas on a previous New England/Canada cruise? We are going in October and I am curious what our "at sea" day will be like since some of our group have some seasickness issues.
That's calling for a long range forecast. It could be sunny and warmish, or cold and rainy. The Gulf Stream turns northeast just south of Cape Cod so the water north of there is very cold. It'll be quite cold at night. The remnants of hurricanes often affect the weather and it's not unusual for a Nor'Easter to hit. The "Perfect Storm" aka the "No Name Storm" hit in late October. On the other hand, the weather could be nice but I wouldn't say it's smooth. You're sailing in the North Atlantic. Bring medications.

The closer you get to Halloween, the dicier things get. As Pam noted, the storm that was the basis for "The Perfect Storm" book and movie was around Halloween. So was "winter" storm Alfred a couple years ago. Heavy snow and ice from New York on upwards into New England. Knocked our power out for 8 days. If I recall, cruises out of New York that day were delayed. On the other hand, I've been trick or treating as a kid or with my daughter on calm 80 degree days. October is a wild card in New England and the Maritimes.

Let's see - I have cruised 2x in October and have had white out snow conditions, blistering winds, ice, torrential down pour for days and beautiful weather.

On both cruises, we had awful and beautiful weather on the same cruise. Seas were all over the place on both cruises.

Beautiful area!

On our Oct 2013 New England cruise aboard the CB there was no excess movement than what you would normally encounter. In Bar Harbor it was very windy, and we took a excursion at the pier from one of the local sightseeing companies. We had some rough patches getting near Arcadia national park, but thoroughly enjoyed the excursion. Loved our Canada/New England cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat

I believe that we must have been on the same cruise, 10/12/13. There were relative calm seas and normal fall weather. The worst day was at Bar Harbor, but even so it was great! Of course we didn't get to go into Arcadia NP because it was shut-down by the government. :cool:

Note: Take the time to have the "Early Bird Special" at Testa's Restaurant. It includes: appetizer of Black & Green Olive Tapenade with fresh rolls, bowl of NE Chowder, 1 1/4 # Lobster and then a piece of Wild Maine Blueberry pie w/Ice Cream. Just Mike

In New England "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute" as the old saying goes.
Exactly. I remember temps dropping over 20-degrees within half an hour. But that was during the summer. Temps can vary 10-20-degrees from the coast to just a few miles inland.

October 2013 we missed Portland, Maine due to weather, rough seas. It happens and there is no way to predict just how it will be. I've also cruised New England where the weather was exceptional every day, warmer than normal.

If someone is prone to seasickness, they need to be prepared, as the weather is very changeable day to day, even morning to afternoon! :)

We've done the New England cruise in October twice.. First time was from NY to Montreal on the Old Royal Princess (Ocean, Pacific size). The seas were so rough that we were five hours late arriving in Boston and several hours late getting into Halifax.

Last year on the Ruby from Quebec to FLL, we also had rough seas. So windy that they closed the outside decks and both crew and passengers were turning green. It was so windy in Charleston that the tugs couldn't even get us to the dock and we had to skip the port entirely..

Last year on the Ruby from Quebec to FLL, we also had rough seas. So windy that they closed the outside decks and both crew and passengers were turning green. It was so windy in Charleston that the tugs couldn't even get us to the dock and we had to skip the port entirely..

We were on that cruise too. According to my recollection of the Captain's announcements, after we skipped Charleston we experienced force 9 winds (up to 54 mph) and waves up to 33 feet. Up until that time, I remember the cruise as smooth sailing. Definitely uncomfortable for those prone to seasickness or feint of heart. It was a great cruise though and we would do it again (and in fact met many who had done it twice or more).

Edited by capriccio

We were on the New England/Canada cruise in mid October 2014. Our cruise was from New York to Quebec. I am very prone to seasickness so I had the same concerns about this cruise. I took my usual remedies (Bonine and ginger capsules) and had no problems.

I hope all in your cruising party have a great time.

We were aboard the QM2 on one of her New England cruises. To emphasize the fact that weather in New England can change very quickly here is a good example. We arrived at our pier in New York, Oct. 29, just before super storm Sandy made landfall. The entire day at sea before our arrival the seas were flat with no swells and the outside temperature was a pleasant 'no jacket needed'. The evening before arriving in NY and until we tied up at our pier the sea stayed calm but the sky was now starting to look a little ugly. Total time from the flat seas on our morning arrival to super storm Sandy starting its pounding of New England - about six hours :eek:. Needless to say QM2 cancelled all shore tours or even going ashore for her remaining England bound passengers. After picking up some provisions and a few hundred new passengers QM2 was on her way back to England. She had managed to out run Sandy's arrival and enjoyed fair seas on her way back home :).