Any tips for not putting on too much weight!!

Portugal1000

Thank you for all your replies. I have a few things going for me. I am currently walking 15000 steps a day so hope to atleast match this on board. I don't drink so no empty calories there. I was happy to read about the spa menu. I don't eat cooked breakfast and vey happy with fruits, yogurt etc. will definitely skip the bread although zero hope of me skipping the scones at afternoon tea!!

On the downside my mum won't be able to walk around much and am hoping she will be happy to sit and relax sometimes while I do some laps. We are both looking forward to it so much and I definitely won't stress too much about the food.

For first time when going on holiday I have packed gym clothes and intend to use them.

When we get back I have 8 weeks till our three week trip to Florida so will need to keep on track till then. Although in 12 trips to Florida I think the most I have gained is about 4 pounds do not the end of the world.

Will let you know how I get on. Thank you again.

They do have a saying for the longer cruises such as a full world. Join the ship as a passenger leave it as cargo.

Lots of fine advise here. Walk everywhere up down and from front to back on board and when you hit the ports. Also if you have time before the sailing, lose a few pounds at home. Gives you a bit more leeway to enjoy. I found that when I had a full day of on board activity number one was at one end of the ship and activity two was at the other and several decks away. Marvelous exercise. If the weather prohibits walking the decks, head down a few flights and walk the interior corridors. after the first two rounds the staff will get what you are doing and will not alert security.

The best is to go with moderation and enjoy it all.

Except for when I'm wearing really high heels, I take the stairs. I walk around the ship a lot, just in the course of a normal day. I try to do laps on deck. As someone else said, you can do laps inside. To avoid looking suspicious, I walk a circuit on deck 4, then up to 5, then up to 6, so I'm not seen over and over on the same deck.

I do not use the gym or weigh myself. That is not my idea of a vacation. If I gain a few pounds, I'll deal with it when I get home. But I rarely gain weight on a cruise. Crossings are harder because we don't have the days in port where we're on our feet most of the time. But even so, I eat sensibly and come out even nearly every time.

I do use the buffet for breakfast and lunch because I can make better choices there. Yes, KC is confusing, but I've learned where they put the things I like, and I can eat the way I do at home. I have lots of fruit at breakfast and just a little scrambled egg. I eat a salad for lunch. (I will confess to sometimes treating myself to chips and quacamole from the salad bar.:eek:) I don't even look at the hot food at lunch. If I don't see it, I don't want it.

I do check out the desserts at lunch. It's nice that the portions are small, so I can have just a small sweet. Often there's nothing I want (WHY are there no cookies out at lunch?????). If they have opera cake, all control is lost. It's a vacation, I let myself have a treat. As is the case at home, the fruit and the salad let me eat pretty much anything for dinner.

I rarely go to the late snack. I've never understood how people could eat so much at a midnight buffet. Years ago, the amount of food on offer was ridiculous, and people would be walking around with plates mounded with food. I couldn't imagine how they managed--I couldn't sleep after eating all that! Then, one time I went into the buffet rather late, just to grab a cookie, and I looked around and was disgusted. People didn't eat all that food they took, there were lots of plates more than half full abandoned on tables. The waste was shameful. I think that's why the midnight buffet has been scaled back.

I guess some people eat a lot on a cruise because it's a way to get their money's worth, but I never look at it that way.

But I do save my loosest clothes for the end of the cruise, just in case. :cool:

Well I had a fantastic time. I am just leaving Southampton Central.

I did so much exercise (nearly 80,000 steps showing on my fit bit). However I ate far to many desserts but did stick to meal times only. Never went to the late buffets but did go to both afternoon teas.

I thought the good was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised that the cruise bared no resemblance to a booze cruise and can only think that some people can be a little too snobby or take life too seriously. Everyone I encountered was lovely.

So I will start a little trip report over the next couple of days. I kept all the info, daily programme etc. I also discovered that I would be suited to. Transatlantic voyage as I absolutely loved going from one activity to the next. It was exhausting but fun. Oh and I bought my three day spa pass which I loved.

More soon.

One last thing, I'll try and detox today and weigh myself in the morning, that will be fun!!!🚢🚢

From past experience... You can eat on a cruise close to ???? times.

Just mentioning...Early Coffee, Breakfast, Late Breakfast, Mid Morning Snack on Deck, Lunch Buffet, Lunch in Dining Room, Tea Time, Dinner, and Late Night Meal/Midnight Snack.

WOW... a lot of times to past by food opportunities...

I use to make room with considerable dieting before the cruise time.

Morning walks before or after or both are really the in thing you will see onboard. A lot of company before breakfast walks or jogs.

Use the stairways instead of the elevators will also help. I even find walking to and from the cabins a lot helps.

But caution on Grazing through the day is important.

Some of the suggestions are great. Carbs are important to maintain.

Yes, we have always been happy with the portions that we have be given at all the meals. You can ask for seconds or a plate that you can share to experience that particular dish.

You're on vacation, so enjoy. Here is what we do.

Stay away from the buffet. Too easy to overeat. Portions are relatively small in restaurants.

Only one appetizer with entre, or three appetizers without.

Share one desert.

Only eat meals twice a day. Easy on the alcohol. Lots of ice water with lemon.

For snacks, two cookies and one ice cream. Fruit anytime.

Our last trip was a month and we actually lost a little without really trying.

From a veteran of 135 cruises taken since 1971 and a guy who sports 6 pack abs at age 65:

1. Never use the elevators, climb stairs the entire cruise

2. Your evening meal, no starchy carbs like potatoes, pasta, rice. Just a lean protein and fibrous carbs like veggies and romaine/red lettuce.

3. A little treadmill time will help burn the calories if you cheat

Edited by worldspan

So I went back to weight watchers last night (hadn't missed a week as cruise only 4 nights) and I had stayed exactly the same. What a relief. I probably did put a couple on but have been really good since Sunday and did lots of exercise.

I really am happy as I joined WW 5 weeks ago and in that time have lost 9 pounds. Not a huge amount but I have had three holidays in that time. Long weekend in London, week in Majorca and the cruise so I think it's pretty good. I followed all your advice and definitely works.

So 8 weeks till Florida, hope to be down another stone by then.

Thanks again for all the support.

Haven't got round to trip report yet as working but will do by weekend.