Dressy cruises?

shipgeeks

Maybe some of the luxury lines, but even for most of them it is not done every night.

On almost ALL lines you will find that even when people dress for dinner they will change into casual clothes after they eat.

On almost ALL lines you will find that even when people dress for dinner they will change into casual clothes after they eat.

But not Cunard ..... the dress code applies after 6pm not just for dinner.

Of all the mainstream mass market lines (we have cruised them all) the most formal (by far) is Cunard...especially the Queen Mary 2. It can become a bit over the top if you do a simple "crossing." The last time we did a crossing (from Southampton to NYC) it was 6 days of which 3 were Black Tie, 2 were Semi-Formal (men must wear jackets and ties) and only the last night was "smart casual" where men could skip the tie (but not the jacket). And the dress code (which was enforced) remained throughout the evening for those who enjoyed the expansive Ballroom. On formal nights we thought over half the men did wear tuxes, with nearly all others in dark suits (and ties).

On Princess they now have about 2 formal nights per week and do not really enforce the dress code. While they might keep somebody out of the MDR who is wearing jeans, even this is no longer assured. And after dinner many will quickly change into shorts or even worse :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

But not Cunard ..... the dress code applies after 6pm not just for dinner.

Also for at least Crystal (BTO - black tie optional) and Silversea (formal) nights. No one changes after dinner.

P&O is similar to Cunard with dress rules, and around 95% of men will wear dinner jackets or the kilt on formal nights; the rest will wear a suit and tie, and the very, very few who rebel can be found in the buffet. I've not seen anyone who has changed out of their formal clothes in the rest of the evening.

I believe Fred Olsen is similar.

P&O is similar to Cunard with dress rules, and around 95% of men will wear dinner jackets or the kilt on formal nights; the rest will wear a suit and tie, and the very, very few who rebel can be found in the buffet. I've not seen anyone who has changed out of their formal clothes in the rest of the evening.

I believe Fred Olsen is similar.

Just to clarify that's NOT P&O Australia only UK

Just to clarify that's NOT P&O Australia only UK

I'm glad you clarified that, I can just imagine some poor P&O Australia cruiser turning up with all their formal clobber for a local cruise :D

Seriously though, I think the area the ship is cruising in can make an impact on how formal a ship is. I found around Australia and South Pacific, a lot of the ships adopt our more casual lifestyle (except Cunard of course, they don't lower their standards for the colonial rabble). Whereas in Northern Europe, especially around England, everything seems to be more formal.

Personally I could do away with formal completely, I dress smartly for dinner anyway and having to drag formal gear across the country with only a 20 kg baggage allowance is just a nuisance.

I'm glad you clarified that, I can just imagine some poor P&O Australia cruiser turning up with all their formal clobber for a local cruise :D

Seriously though, I think the area the ship is cruising in can make an impact on how formal a ship is. I found around Australia and South Pacific, a lot of the ships adopt our more casual lifestyle (except Cunard of course, they don't lower their standards for the colonial rabble). Whereas in Northern Europe, especially around England, everything seems to be more formal.

Personally I could do away with formal completely, I dress smartly for dinner anyway and having to drag formal gear across the country with only a 20 kg baggage allowance is just a nuisance.

In the past I have seen some pretty dressy formal nights in Aus.

For me it's just a suit and tie, seldom a Tux.

Herself loves formal nights...

I love herself ...

Ergo I do formal nights.

We sail Sydney to Sydney and drive to port so easier for us.