My thoughts on Sapphire Beach

royal girl

we also had much disappointment with sapphire beach. I read all the reviews and, yes my expectations were way up. We must have visited many of the world's most beautiful beaches, but here, it felt like I was in Florida (with a little bit of better looking water).

The whole condos thing was a downer, as well as the residents who did not like the other tourists.

We will be going again to st. thomas, but this time to Magens' Bay, so i will have a better comparison.

Oh, the chairs we rented were really old, broken, and dirty. There were lots of bugs when you sit under the trees for shade. Nice people at the dive shop, though.

We picked this place because there were five ships at port that day. We rented a van and headed out pretty early, but we should have left to another beach. The best part was a barbecue truck that we passed. It was the best barbecue i have had in years.

Sorry you didn't love Sapphire as I'm one to recommend it. But I think comparing Sapphire to a FL beach is hilarious.

We've also enjoyed some of the nicest beaches throughout the Carib and Mexico, and consider Sapphire Pretty nice - it just oozes character like some of the nicer beaches of Jamaica (Doctors Cave), Cozumel, St Martin, and Tortola (Smuggler's Cove or Long Bay (Beef). It is a shame about the lounges, especially at $9 a pop?:eek: The one beach on STT we consider nicer is Lindqvist, you may want to consider that over Magens on your next visit. But if Sapphire was that disappointing don't listen to me! :p Lindqvist is Sapphire but nicer.

But as to the condos, I don't understand what the problem is for day visitors? Some folks who don't research may expect this to be a nice, full-service resort because of the name. But as you know Sapphire is home to 3 condo properties, and they are actually very nice albeit older properties. The restaurant is currently boarded up and the pool bar is still closed, and that affects condo guests more than day visitors. But Sapphire is THE place to stay on STT and we love spending time there when in the VI. Nice sandy beaches with reef and seagrass area and pretty island views. The only place we like better is Tortola!

But sorry that you were so disappointed and hopefully you have a nicer experience next visit. If you're looking for a wider expanse of beach with so-so views like FL Magens may just fit the bill.

Edited by blue_water

i have been to many of those beaches that you had noted, lovely beaches. And definitely , I am not an expert on Florida beaches and do not go there often, but i had to go back to look at my pictures to see what it was, in particular , that we all didn't like.

there was a great deal of sea weeds all along the shore line of the sand and through out sand it was dotted with black things. It could be sea items, or from the trees, but we couldn't step around them because it was all through the sand. And unfortunately, it just made me think of ugly cigarette buds( even though they weren't). So at the time in december, there was not a beautiful white sand, like in Bahamas, bermuda, or costa maya.

Maybe it was just the time of year?

But the water was gorgeous.

i have been to many of those beaches that you had noted, lovely beaches. And definitely , I am not an expert on Florida beaches and do not go there often, but i had to go back to look at my pictures to see what it was, in particular , that we all didn't like.

there was a great deal of sea weeds all along the shore line of the sand and through out sand it was dotted with black things. It could be sea items, or from the trees, but we couldn't step around them because it was all through the sand. And unfortunately, it just made me think of ugly cigarette buds( even though they weren't). So at the time in december, there was not a beautiful white sand, like in Bahamas, bermuda, or costa maya.

Maybe it was just the time of year?

But the water was gorgeous.

We haven't been to STT and Sapphire since January but have been to the Riviera Maya, Mexico twice and the seaweed situation there is extreme, to say the least. I have read reports from throughout the Carib of a similar situation. We've not seen the sargasso at this level in all our years of traveling the Carib and it's just not stopping. They're burying it or picking it up with bulldozers along the coasts. Not sure if that was the case at Sapphire, typically the water there is crystal clear except in the swimming area where it's very sandy...never saw seaweed the times we've stayed there...

But yes, conditions change daily wherever you are I'm sure...

I am an owner at Sapphire. I welcome visitors to our beautiful beach, and many cruisers like it so much they come back and stay for a week or two.

However there are some people that visit of the ships that spoil it for everyone else. Perhaps a part of it is that they do not understand how fragile a coral reef is, or perhaps they have never snorkeled before and don't know what they are doing. I regularly have to chase ship visitors off the reef as they walk and stand on living coral.

Now that colors how an owner sees cruise ship passengers, but it can be worse. I also regularly have to clean up after "boat people" leave trash, bottles, and cans on the beach. It is a beach not an ash tray yet smokers are always discarding cigarette and cigar butts in the sand. The fact they are not on a ship with people assigned to to clean up after them doesn't seem to register.

Also understand chairs and towels are not automatically provided for you. It isn't unusual for me to come in from a swim to find "boat people" have thrown my book in the sand and taken my chair and towel for their own use. I haven't even mentioned some of the drunk and rowdy behavior that goes on.

Thankfully it isn't everyone that acts this way. Certainly the minority, but I think you can understand why some may not be overly welcoming of the bus loads of people that come off the ships to visit.

Some time ago I created a document called "Beach Rules" outlining the etiquette that should be followed when visiting a beach. I wish the cruise ships would distribute it to their passengers

BEACH RULES

1. Do not touch, stand on, remove, walk on, or in any way damage the coral. It may look like a rock, but it is a living organism that tourist regularly kill and damage by walking and standing on it.

2. Do not leave trash, straws, cups, wrappers, bottles, cans, boxes or any other foreign objects on the beach. You are responsible for keeping the beach clean.

3. Cigarette and cigar butts are TRASH.( see rule 2) . I often see people remove cans and bottles, but leave cigarette buts in the sand for some child to come along with a pail and shovel to play in trash, please remove them.

4. If you must play music without a headset, please keep the volume at a reasonable level. Not everyone shares the same tastes in music, and many enjoy the sound of the waves over some rap song.

5. If you decide to dig a big hole in the sand then fill it when you leave so that it is not a trip and fall hazard.

6. It is perfectly fine to enjoy alcohol at the beach, but restrict your consumption so that you are not inebriated and causing a scene.

7. Playing catch on the beach or in the water is fine, but find an area where you aren't going to hit someone with a ball.

8 Be considerate if you are shaking sand of your towel or blanket. No one enjoys a face full of sand.

9 Iguanas, feral cats, and ducks no mater how cute should not be fed. Feeding them is not healthy for them, and makes them aggressive with humans.

10. Do not feed fish dog biscuits or bread it is best to leave nature alone.

Edited by beautifulbill
post addition

Beautifulbill - Your post is so appropriate! I couldn't agree with you more. I live on Water Island and residents here deal with the same conditions on Honeymoon Beach that you describe at Sapphire. Visitors need to think how their actions will affect the environment, residents, and future visitors. As travelers we always followed the adage that footprints in the sand were the only things that should be left on any beach. Unfortunately more than a few of the current generation of travelers apparently have never learned this. Your rules are common sense and courtesy and really shouldn’t be a problem for anyone to follow. Thank you for reminding everyone. May I borrow your post the next time someone asks about Water Island? ;)

Oh my, I lived on St.Thomas and am returning as a cruise ship passenger this fall. I well remember some of the entitled people who did not respect the local environment or people from my time living there.

To my fellow passenger, do you know how lucky you are that ALL the beaches in the Virgin Islands are public? I sure don't want to pay the exorbitant rates to enjoy a beach that you do in Nasssau. I love the option of going to another beach if the first one is too crowded.

As a visitor, take care of the area you visit, so that you and many others can enjoy the spectacular beaches in the future.

This has to be a joke. Just wanted to add my two cents - Sapphire Beach is amazing. I have been on 12 cruises and been to many many islands. Sapphire Beach is only 2nd (IMO) to Valley Church Beach Antiqua out the many many beaches I've been to all over the Eastern and Western Caribbean. One need only search Sapphire Beach on Tripadvisor and look at the hundreds of pictures. What you see is what you get. Glad someone spoke up - Sapphire Beach is a must. And so are the Pain Killer drinks you can purchase at a stand right there on the beach:p! Everyone should see Sapphire at least once - I guarantee you will love it and want to return!!!

Dad and son want to snorkel, Mom wants a chair on the beach and a drink. Went to Coki Beach last time and enjoyed it. Any differences with the snorkeling at Sapphire Beach? The nice thing about Coki was we didn't have to swim out too far to snorkel. The water did get deep quickly though.

Still thinking about Magen's Bay because we have never been there. We like to kayak and they have kayak rentals there. We thought about the other snorkeling excursions but only half a day or the trip to St. John but we will have more beach time if we just take a taxi to a beach on St. Thomas.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

• 2 weeks later...

Sapphire Beach isn't what it used to be. IMO none of the beaches on St. Thomas rate up there with St. John. For those reading this thread in the future try researching Secret Harbour on St. John, you won't be disappointed.

Oh and we were one of those condo renters for a week. We didn't look down on cruisers we just felt sorry for you that you had to leave and we got to stay in Paradise :D

Sapphire Beach isn't what it used to be. IMO none of the beaches on St. Thomas rate up there with St. John. For those reading this thread in the future try researching Secret Harbour on St. John, you won't be disappointed.

Oh and we were one of those condo renters for a week. We didn't look down on cruisers we just felt sorry for you that you had to leave and we got to stay in Paradise :D

Secret Harbour is on St Thomas, not St John. It is smaller that Sapphire & has good snorkeling.

Yes, the beaches on St John are unspoiled, but there are plenty of lovely beaches on St Thomas.

When I lived on St Thomas, we would go to Trunk, Honeymoon, Salt Pond or Cinnamon, if we had the time & $$ to get there. If not, Sapphire, Coki , Secret Harbor or Lindquist (The beach in the Hannah & her horse commercial) were just fine.

Dad and son want to snorkel, Mom wants a chair on the beach and a drink. Went to Coki Beach last time and enjoyed it. Any differences with the snorkeling at Sapphire Beach? The nice thing about Coki was we didn't have to swim out too far to snorkel. The water did get deep quickly though.

Still thinking about Magen's Bay because we have never been there. We like to kayak and they have kayak rentals there. We thought about the other snorkeling excursions but only half a day or the trip to St. John but we will have more beach time if we just take a taxi to a beach on St. Thomas.

Sapphire has good off the beach snorkeling with a reef and also a sea grass area where rays and sea turtles can be spotted.

Secret Harbor is a smaller bay and decent, we've always considered SH the 5th nicest beach on STT.

Have to disagree with sueandkent (not about Sapphire being "paradise" but about Sapphire not being "what it used to be"). Sapphire is just as gorgeous as ever! And most owners there are very nice and get along well with day visitors who respect the island and beaches. Many of the owners and renters first experienced these islands by cruise ship too. Some visitors are just not as responsible when it comes to respecting the coral and the environment unfortunately.

But yes, you will be pleased with the beach, water, snorkeling or kayaking, and island views at Sapphire. A visit to nearby Lindqvist first and a short taxi to Sapphire for more snorkeling and a mahi mahi sandwich from the Banana Cabana is a great day!

Edited by blue_water

Sapphire has good off the beach snorkeling with a reef and also a sea grass area where rays and sea turtles can be spotted.

Secret Harbor is a smaller bay and decent, we've always considered SH the 5th nicest beach on STT.

Have to disagree with sueandkent (not about Sapphire being "paradise" but about Sapphire not being "what it used to be"). Sapphire is just as gorgeous as ever! And most owners there are very nice and get along well with day visitors who respect the island and beaches. Many of the owners and renters first experienced these islands by cruise ship too. Some visitors are just not as responsible when it comes to respecting the coral and the environment unfortunately.

But yes, you will be pleased with the beach, water, snorkeling or kayaking, and island views at Sapphire. A visit to nearby Lindqvist first and a short taxi to Sapphire for more snorkeling and a mahi mahi sandwich from the Banana Cabana is a great day!

Thank you. That does sound like a great day! I thought about getting private taxi to take us on a quick tour of some of these beaches - Lindqvist, Secret Harbor, and then to Sapphire.

seawatcher: Smith Bay/Lindqvist and Sapphire are very close to each other. Secret Harbour is on a peninsula, fairly remote from the other two. I think it might be difficult getting one driver to do both. They have typical "tours" that they take and are not really amenable to change. LOL

Coming to stt in feb and interested in the food truck at sapphire....do they do local food?....we always try to find a side of the road place...our favorite beaches are maho on stj and smuggler's cove on tortola but I do think we can manage with sapphire and sh for the day!.....research really does help manage expectations...

Coming to stt in feb and interested in the food truck at sapphire....do they do local food?....we always try to find a side of the road place...our favorite beaches are maho on stj and smuggler's cove on tortola but I do think we can manage with sapphire and sh for the day!.....research really does help manage expectations...

Banana Cabana is a small/bar grill on the beach and their mahi mahi sandwich is excellent.

Sshhh! Smuggler's Cove is our little secret!;)