John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

For those of you who don't follow him...

On his Facebook today he's stated that Liquor purchased in the Islands and in the Fun Shops will no longer be passed out the night before debarkation like it has been but now the morning of debarkation in a lounge on the ship. The ship will communicate what lounge it will take place in.

Many people are complaining as luggage still has to be put out the night before and without having your liquor until the morning of, anyone who travels via airplane will have to repack either on the ship or once arriving at the airport before checking luggage.

The water thing didn't upset me, but this just seems like an absolute cluster. I know what they are trying to do. They are trying to prevent people from having access to their liquor the last night of their cruise and from drinking it, but really? Are that many people doing that? Is it that big of an issue to inconvenience so many people? I really am not fond on this and feel like it's going to make debarkation so much more unorganized. The elevators are already a mess that morning and I just see this being very sloppy.

I can't wait to hear others come back and see what they have to say about how it goes.

this wont affect me directly since I dont buy alcohol on board or in the islands because I hate "schlepping" through airports, customs back to Canada. However; I can see this will make debarkation morning an even bigger cluster! This surely cannot work. It also might cut down on the number of people who will purchase liquor on board to take home. That WILL hurt their profits. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

and talk about Carnival changes coming in at warp speed! Was every week, now one day after another!! Where will it end? and what will that Carnival product resemble then?

Edited by SMSACE6

For those of you who don't follow him...

On his Facebook today he's stated that Liquor purchased in the Islands and in the Fun Shops will no longer be passed out the night before debarkation like it has been but now the morning of debarkation in a lounge on the ship. The ship will communicate what lounge it will take place in.

Many people are complaining as luggage still has to be put out the night before and without having your liquor until the morning of, anyone who travels via airplane will have to repack either on the ship or once arriving at the airport before checking luggage.

The water thing didn't upset me, but this just seems like an absolute cluster. I know what they are trying to do. They are trying to prevent people from having access to their liquor the last night of their cruise and from drinking it, but really? Are that many people doing that? Is it that big of an issue to inconvenience so many people? I really am not fond on this and feel like it's going to make debarkation so much more unorganized. The elevators are already a mess that morning and I just see this being very sloppy.

I can't wait to hear others come back and see what they have to say about how it goes.

Well, I can see liquor sales going down for Carnival in the gift shops. Carnival, keep it up until you really tick off the masses.

All the arrows point to Booze sales anyone can see that. You add the drink price increase the water bottle ban and the delivery of booze it all adds up. And on the web site they are saying it is being done to stop people from sneaking drinks on to make the cruise a more enjoyable experiece which that is stupid beyond comprehension.

I may be confused, but you think they did this so people won't drink the bottles of booze they deliver to their cabins the last night? Makes no sense:confused:

Edited by jimbo5544

It seems the only thing that hasn't gone up with inflation is the price of liquor, however the price of drinks on the ship constantly goes up. I used to pay 3.25 for a basic rum and coke now it's over 6.00. It's no surprise to me that people try smuggling on liquor. I for one like having a drink on my balcony in the evening and don't like having to pay 6.00 for a drink that tastes watered down and have to tip someone to bring it to my cabin.

That right there would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Paying for a watered down drink IMHO is quite dishonest on Carnival's part. That's why I order wine, you can't water that down.

I understand that Carnival instituted the water bottle ban because so many people were abusing it and bringing in Alcohol illegally. I get that completely. I appreciate they put a stop to it, and dropped the cost of their water to 2.99 per 12 pack. However, its crazy to have to go to a crowded lounge on the morning of the return date with lots of people, and stress about picking up and carrying any duty free alcohol purchased on or off the ship. For me, this is a bit punitive and creates added stress to the ships already hectic departure. Surely Carnival, delivering the Alcohol to your room on the last night can't be that big of a deal? Being Diamond and nearing 300 cruise nights this is not a deal breaker for me. I am not a huge drinker and only occasionally purchase on board. However, I completely disagree about this new policy and I can only speculate that the FunShops and maybe the beards are going to regret this decision with significantly LESS duty free alcohol sales onboard. Not a smart decision and one I believe they will come to regret.

I understand that Carnival instituted the water bottle ban because so many people were abusing it and bringing in Alcohol illegally. I get that completely. I appreciate they put a stop to it, and dropped the cost of their water to 2.99 per 12 pack. However, its crazy to have to go to a crowded lounge on the morning of the return date with lots of people, and stress about picking up and carrying any duty free alcohol purchased on or off the ship. For me, this is a bit punitive and creates added stress to the ships already hectic departure. Surely Carnival, delivering the Alcohol to your room on the last night can't be that big of a deal? Being Diamond and nearing 300 cruise nights this is not a deal breaker for me. I am not a huge drinker and only occasionally purchase on board. However, I completely disagree about this new policy and I can only speculate that the FunShops and maybe the beards are going to regret this decision with significantly LESS duty free alcohol sales onboard. Not a smart decision and one I believe they will come to regret.

I think you hit it right on the money there. I've been on cruises where they can't even coordinate debarkation well, I can't even imagine adding this to the same day. I think they will deeply regret this idea. I can just only hope this will be reversed by the time we sail in January.

Don't like the new rule then don't buy any alcohol on the ship or in port. I am not being nasty, I am voting with my wallet. If enough stop buying the rule will have to be revised.

I may be confused, but you think they did this so people won't drink the bottles of booze they deliver to their cabins the last night? Makes no sense:confused:

No, I believe it is to avoid the problem with liquor that is delivered to the wrong cabin, claimed to not have been delivered to the cabin, bottles claimed to have been broken by Carnival employees, etc.

It makes perfect sense to me as does the ban on bring bottles on board.

Next up for possible change?? Maybe the cabin switching games where booking are made to take advantage of reduced fares (return guest for example) or restriction such as the age of a child in a cabin and then keys are switched around at guest services.

It would certainly make sense from a financial viewpoint that passengers actually pay the fare they should and from a safety viewpoint in that the onboard roster will reflect who is actually in each room.

If it was all about people claiming they didn't get their package or that Carnival broke the bottle, then they would simply make you sign for it. If the room steward makes an attempt to deliver it at a predetermined time and you're not around, THEN you have to get your goods yourself. Coming up with this plan that requires everyone to go to various lounges the morning you debark and then leave it up to you to figure out how to unpack then repack in a port or an airport makes absolutely no sense. And for as much as I love Carnival, I can't justify this whatsoever. It will be o.k. for people driving. Not for people taking public transportation home. It's an illogical rule regardless of the their attempt to make it logical. Like I said before, I don't mind picking it up the night before if I have to, but not the morning of.

If it was all about people claiming they didn't get their package or that Carnival broke the bottle, then they would simply make you sign for it. If the room steward makes an attempt to deliver it at a predetermined time and you're not around, THEN you have to get your goods yourself. Coming up with this plan that requires everyone to go to various lounges the morning you debark and then leave it up to you to figure out how to unpack then repack in a port or an airport makes absolutely no sense. And for as much as I love Carnival, I can't justify this whatsoever. It will be o.k. for people driving. Not for people taking public transportation home. It's an illogical rule regardless of the their attempt to make it logical. Like I said before, I don't mind picking it up the night before if I have to, but not the morning of.

This is what I'm thinking too. If it's all about them wanting to ensure people get the proper liquor that actually belongs to them, then why does it have to be the morning of? I would still much prefer it to be the night before. Honestly, I wouldn't even be bothered with it being the night before. At least that way if it takes a while, oh well i'm just going to bed later. We don't do a whole lot the last night of our cruise anyways. I'm trying to make sense of the whole thing, but it's just not sensible.

Debarkation, like others have said, is a stressful time. Having everyone to collect the alcohol they bought the morning of debarkation will make more lines and add to what is usually a very busy time for all of us. Does not make sense to us either.

Carnival will lose revenue with this change since many people will not want to deal with all the hassle this will create & will not buy anymore alcohol both on ship and in Port. I know we will not be buying anymore.

The last day on the ship is when everyone gears up to leave the next day. Carnival should still drop off liquor the night before debarkation for packing and for a smoother next day for their guests.

Will be interesting to see how the beards react when this new rule affects sales that go down in the gift shops onboard.

This is what I'm thinking too. If it's all about them wanting to ensure people get the proper liquor that actually belongs to them, then why does it have to be the morning of? I would still much prefer it to be the night before. Honestly, I wouldn't even be bothered with it being the night before. At least that way if it takes a while, oh well i'm just going to bed later. We don't do a whole lot the last night of our cruise anyways. I'm trying to make sense of the whole thing, but it's just not sensible.

Totally agree.

On the Inspiration all liquor is ready for pick up starting at 6am. No line then and it was extremely organized.

Any liquor bought in port goes into a cheap market carry-on bag with the handles tied. Easy to recognize. At time I'll even take a photo.

Another reason for the last morning pickup is to prevent claims for liquor-damaged luggage.

It isn't just the stores on the ships that will take a hit, Carnival owns many of the big liquor stores in the ports. Those will also be hit, along the rest of the liquor stores. The whole idea is insane. I'll buy liquor at my neighborhood store before I go through that madness just before departing the ship. I don't think this rule will last long.

It isn't just the stores on the ships that will take a hit, Carnival owns many of the big liquor stores in the ports. Those will also be hit, along the rest of the liquor stores. The whole idea is insane. I'll buy liquor at my neighborhood store before I go through that madness just before departing the ship. I don't think this rule will last long.

It sure wont last if people vote with their wallets and dont buy liquor to bring home.

Jim,

I agree with DetroitLions.

If it makes no sense, than what is your opinion of why this was done?

Bill

I can see maybe having the booze available for pick-up during the evening before debarkation. This makes the guests do most of the work (free labor) and frees up the room stewards or anyone else currently involved in booze delivery.

Maybe the next move is to have guests take their luggage to the storage area on the night before debarkation instead of just putting it outside the cabin door.:D

I would not be surprised if this turns out to be an experiment-gone-bad and Carnival ends up going back to delivering to the cabins on the night before.

I do think it's because too many people were opening their liquor the last night and having parties. Carnival has more passengers that are always trying to scheme up things as is evidenced by many of the posts. None of these things are without repercussions. A classic example is the posting of a gold card holder saying she was so glad she got so many drinks that she got drunk at the past guest party. I'm sure she wasn't the only one, so now golds can't go to the party.

I do think though that when Carnival realizes that 1-liquor sales from the shop onboard go down considerably, 2-liquor is not being brought back from the ports as much as it had been and the islands start complaining of the losses caused by Carnival, 3-that the money they make on the luggage express starts dwindling as cruisers won't get to pack their booze in their luggage, they will re-think this whole thing.

Carnival is in business to make money and if they are losing it instead, changes will be made. It appears to me some young beard thought this was a good idea and (s)he has no idea of what may happen. All I have said is predicated on people sticking to what they are saying about not purchasing the liquor onboard and on the islands. If this is just another blowing of hot air by some cruisers, then once again, you did it to yourself. JMO.

I think a lot of people are overestimating the number of people who buy liquor to take home. Just because you do, doesn't mean everybody else is. I doubt it's much higher than 10-20%. Won't be a problem at all.