Bring on drinks?

I have seen some articles recently about Carnival changing its policy about drinks being brought on board. Specifically that they will no longer allowed bottled drinks, but cans and boxed drinks are still allowed. What is Royal Caribbean's policy on this?

According to their FAQs the only drinks allowed to be brought on board are two bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom, but other folks in the comments sections under articles about Carnival's new policy indicate that you can bring bottled drinks on RC.

I will be cruising on Enchantment of the Seas in December, my first cruise on RC (previously I have only cruised on Carnival and still love them). Since I will be traveling with 4 children, and only one likes water or lemonade, I was planning to bring some juices for the other kids. I am considering bottled ones or the Capri Sun style pouches, and would like to know which type I am more likely to get on board with. I don't want to purchase the drinks and then have them confiscated at the dock, but can't afford the drink package prices I see quoted on the RC website. I also don't want them drinking nothing but soda all day, especially not the three year old.

Thanks!

Officially, no drinks except the bottles of wine allowed inboard, as per their policy on website, etc.

Practically, no prob in most embarkation ports to bring reasonable amounts of non-alcoholic beverages onboard such as 6-pack of water, or 12 -pack soda or the like. Juices from.concentrate are available MO.charge at breakfast, flavored waters like kiwi strawberry or mango, etc are available at lunch in the buffet, water, tea, coffee, milk, lemonade all available 24/7

7. RCI offers a juice package to purchase in advance with boxes of juice delivered to your cabin before sailing...(or at least still did as of 4 months ago). Same for a water package.

You posted the answer to your question in your question. Just because some people have been able to bring banned items on board does not mean that you will.

As for what you can most likely get away with, I don't think the style of packaging matters. I suggest you carry on whatever kid drinks you are going to bring though to save yourself a trip to the naughty room.

You posted the answer to your question in your question. Just because some people have been able to bring banned items on board does not mean that you will.

As for what you can most likely get away with, I don't think the style of packaging matters. I suggest you carry on whatever kid drinks you are going to bring though to save yourself a trip to the naughty room.

I was planning to carry it on, but have heard stories of folks having even that confiscated depending on who is doing the inspections. That is why I was wondering what they are most likely to ignore. Thanks!

Officially, no drinks except the bottles of wine allowed inboard, as per their policy on website, etc.

Practically, no prob in most embarkation ports to bring reasonable amounts of non-alcoholic beverages onboard such as 6-pack of water, or 12 -pack soda or the like. Juices from.concentrate are available MO.charge at breakfast, flavored waters like kiwi strawberry or mango, etc are available at lunch in the buffet, water, tea, coffee, milk, lemonade all available 24/7

7. RCI offers a juice package to purchase in advance with boxes of juice delivered to your cabin before sailing...(or at least still did as of 4 months ago). Same for a water package.

I did not see a juice package offered. I will look again, although with 4 kids it is likely that the juice packages would be expensive too, unless I could get one and simply share it with the others, or one per stateroom. Thanks!

RCI offers a juice package to purchase in advance with boxes of juice delivered to your cabin before sailing...(or at least still did as of 4 months ago). Same for a water package.

I got the juice package for my son on our first cruise because he doesn't drink soda. Not worth it. Most times he didn't want to grab one when he headed out for the day because he didn't want to carry it around. And since he drinks tea, he was covered in the MDR.

I think the Capri Suns are a great idea. Wish I had thought of it.

I did not see a juice package offered. I will look again, although with 4 kids it is likely that the juice packages would be expensive too, unless I could get one and simply share it with the others, or one per stateroom. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I believe Royal has discontinued the juice package.

The official policy is no drinks, but it all depends on what port and time of year. I have carried on water and soda in Port Canaveral with no problem in the past. Others have said during spring break sometimes drinks are confiscated. You might want to give it a try, you will not be out a lot of money if it doesn't work.

Keep in mind as well that if your ship has Coke Freestyle machines, it offers some types of "juices" (like C-plus brands) as well with the purchase of the soda package.

I don't know if Enchantment has a Freestyle machine.

I went to look at their beverage packages just now. The one that includes fresh squeezed juice is $19 per day per person. That is RIDICULOUS. They did have one for sodas that was $4.50 per day per person age 17 and under. Even that, when you multiply times 4, is expensive.

I think I will stick with buying a 40 count pack of 100% juice Capri Suns at Sam's Club for around $8 and taking it with us. If it gets confiscated, I will be out the $8 and still have to buy the drink packages, but if it is not confiscated I will have saved myself a LOT of money.

I went to look at their beverage packages just now. The one that includes fresh squeezed juice is $19 per day per person. That is RIDICULOUS. They did have one for sodas that was $4.50 per day per person age 17 and under. Even that, when you multiply times 4, is expensive.

I think I will stick with buying a 40 count pack of 100% juice Capri Suns at Sam's Club for around $8 and taking it with us. If it gets confiscated, I will be out the $8 and still have to buy the drink packages, but if it is not confiscated I will have saved myself a LOT of money.

Yes, there is a soda package for kids that is $4.50/day.

I completely agree that the $19 price is ridiculous.

That being said, if you're going to be purchasing certain drinks any how it can actually work to your advantage.

My wife will get the $19 plan. She doesn't drink much if any alcohol but will have several of the starbucks drinks (hot and cold) per day. Now add in a few bottles of water and a glass of the fresh squeezed OJ and you're ahead.

I tried an alcohol package on our last cruise. I found it useful to try different drinks and if I didn't care for it just give it back. I'd have never bothered to order it if I was paying the $9+ for it. I did however find a few new drinks that I liked.

How those plans shake out for you in terms of economics depends heavily on if you would be purchasing them without the package.

Yes, there is a soda package for kids that is $4.50/day.

I completely agree that the $19 price is ridiculous.

That being said, if you're going to be purchasing certain drinks any how it can actually work to your advantage.

My wife will get the $19 plan. She doesn't drink much if any alcohol but will have several of the starbucks drinks (hot and cold) per day. Now add in a few bottles of water and a glass of the fresh squeezed OJ and you're ahead.

I tried an alcohol package on our last cruise. I found it useful to try different drinks and if I didn't care for it just give it back. I'd have never bothered to order it if I was paying the $9+ for it. I did however find a few new drinks that I liked.

How those plans shake out for you in terms of economics depends heavily on if you would be purchasing them without the package.

I don't drink alcohol, so that isn't a problem for me. My hubby will occasionally have a beer or two, but actually hasn't had one in years either. We aren't against alcohol, it just isn't part of our life. He took soda with us on the cruise with the kids, but after trying the lemonade they offered on the ship, he didn't bother with the soda because the lemonade was good.

Our oldest daughter also likes the lemonade, so we aren't worried about her. She drinks very little juice, but will get milk with breakfast and lunch.

The tricky ones are our son, and the two younger girls. The toddler has to have soy milk, and I am hoping that the cruise ship will provide that. I have been told that they do, by others. But don't want her drinking water the rest of the time, or soda, and she doesn't like lemonade. The middle girl likes chocolate milk but not the type that was offered on Carnival. She is picky. She also doesn't care for lemonade or water all the time, although will drink water sometimes. My son would be perfectly happy if I bought him a soda package, and so would the older girls, and I may do that for the three of them. After all it is vacation and only a three night cruise. But would like to take juice for the toddler at least.

So far the most reasonable option seems to be taking the 100% juice Capri Suns. Or maybe I will order one of the $19 per day packages. She can have a couple juices and I can enjoy the teas or sodas. But that would be cheating I think. Oh well, I have a few months to wrestle with this question. I just like planning ahead to be sure I have covered every possibility that I can.

Keep in mind as well that if your ship has Coke Freestyle machines, it offers some types of "juices" (like C-plus brands) as well with the purchase of the soda package.

I don't know if Enchantment has a Freestyle machine.

Enchantment has two freestyle machines in WJ and one in the Centrum

Do the kids drink the stuff you mix with water? You could bring that and an empty bottle and use the free water to mix your owm beverage, just don't fill the bottle at the spout, use a glass to fill it to prevent contamination. Also, at ports I had no problem bringing on a bottle of water or soda.

Threads like this one make me realise what a different world we live in today.

When we were kids we ate & drank what was put in front of us & if we didn't we went hungry or thirsty.

Not that it was ever a possibility, but if, when we were kids, we had the opportunity to spend time on a luxury cruiseship, we would have likely drank the rainwater from the lifeboat cover for the chance to go on a cruise.

When we were kids we ate & drank what was put in front of us & if we didn't we went hungry or thirsty.

Not that it was ever a possibility, but if, when we were kids, we had the opportunity to spend time on a luxury cruiseship, we would have likely drank the rainwater from the lifeboat cover for the chance to go on a cruise.

Remember how nasty it was to drink out of a garden hose, loved it though

You are right. It is a different world. My mother gripes all the time because I don't use that sort of rule with my kids, but I refuse to make food a battleground. My sisters and I were made to eat what was served, and if we didn't eat it then we got it for the next meal, with no microwaves to heat it up with because they didn't exist then. It caused all sorts of problems for us, and at least two of us are still battling eating disorders as a result.

There are far too many things of greater importance that I need to spend my time on, especially with a special needs son and a toddler with several food allergies. I don't have time or energy to waste on forcing kids to drink water or go thirsty when I can avoid it.

Do the kids drink the stuff you mix with water? You could bring that and an empty bottle and use the free water to mix your owm beverage, just don't fill the bottle at the spout, use a glass to fill it to prevent contamination. Also, at ports I had no problem bringing on a bottle of water or soda.

One of my daughters will, but she is also the one who likes the lemonade they serve on the ships. My son and other older girl don't like those because no matter how much water they use to mix it with, they always complain about a gritty sensation in the drink. I could try the drops that they now sell. I will have to have them try those in the next couple months, see if we can find one that works well.

Does anyone know how much individual cups of juice cost on RC ships? If I can find an alternative that works for my other kids, I might just buy a couple cups of juice each day for the toddler.

Seriously, in the 12 years that I have cruised, I've never had a problem bringing water, juice or even Starbucks Ice Coffee cans on board.

I didn't even know it was against policy until lately.

Just bring your juice and don't hide it.

(if you lose $20 worth of water or juice, then you lose it. Don't sweat it)

Remember how nasty it was to drink out of a garden hose, loved it though

Still a rare 'treat' today when working in the yard. I remember though, you didn't want to go first with the hose on a hot summer day - the water was close to boiling :)

I emailed RCI to ask if I could bring diet (or low fat for USA readers) tonic water on board with me as they don't sell it on their ships. They replied that I would be allowed to bring as much as I would need for the length of the cruise. I've carried on a six bottle pack on every cruise since without any problems.

I emailed RCI to ask if I could bring diet (or low fat for USA readers) tonic water on board with me as they don't sell it on their ships. They replied that I would be allowed to bring as much as I would need for the length of the cruise. I've carried on a six bottle pack on every cruise since without any problems.

We call it diet as well. ;)

Did you mean low cal :what:

They have flavored water all the time and lemonade some times. Iced tea is also a,ways available.. The soda package if they have the freestyle machine and Enchantment does has a bunch of Dasani flavored waters and powerade drinks besides soda. My husband doesn't drink soda but he gets the soda package so he can have the powerades and flavored dasanis sparkling and still.

We call it diet as well. ;)

Did you mean low cal :what:

I do apologise. RCI persisted in calling it "low fat" so I wrongly assumed that this may be the term used across the pond. (Where's the embarrassed smilie when you need it??)