Drive to Talkeetna or not?

barbeyg

We don't have the time for a 'real' tour of Denali on our trip next year. Good reason for a return trip. [emoji4]

Am looking into flight seeing Mt McKinley from Anchorage (Rust's Flying Service).

We will have a rental car though. I would love opinions on whether we should fly from Anchorage (McKinley summit included), or drive to Talkeetna for a flight. We only have the one full day. We plan to drive the next day to Seward and stay the night before the cruise there.

Thanks for input in advance. We sail late May 2016.

Hmm... the drive would let you see a little more of Alaska.

Either way would work. If it was me, I'd drive.

The more I think about it, that's the more I lean that way. I'm assuming the drive is gorgeous. Looking at the Talkeetna flightseeing availability too now. The Grand Denali with glacier landing option at different vendors looks wonderful, even if it's not a summit flight.

Thank you! [emoji4]

We had the same situation as you in May. Not enough time to do Denali right, but too much time to waste. We drove up to Talkeenta and really enjoyed the day. It was at the conclusion of our cruise and it was the perfect ending. Lunch at the Wildflower Cafe was very good as well. Enjoy.

With Rust's you'll get a floatplane experience; you won't from Talkeetna.

I don't find the drive to be all that inspiring; pretty in parts but mainly roadside forest. I can think of many better ways to spend five hours with a car in Anchorage.

If the weather's poop and the mountain's not out, you're kiboshed in Talkeetna. With Rust's, they have several other flightseeing options that are much less weather-dependent.

With Rust's you'll get a floatplane experience; you won't from Talkeetna.

I don't find the drive to be all that inspiring; pretty in parts but mainly roadside forest. I can think of many better ways to spend five hours with a car in Anchorage.

If the weather's poop and the mountain's not out, you're kiboshed in Talkeetna. With Rust's, they have several other flightseeing options that are much less weather-dependent.

Thank you for this alternative perspective. It really helps as I process all the info. I really appreciate it. [emoji4]

We had the same situation as you in May. Not enough time to do Denali right, but too much time to waste. We drove up to Talkeenta and really enjoyed the day. It was at the conclusion of our cruise and it was the perfect ending. Lunch at the Wildflower Cafe was very good as well. Enjoy.

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation. Appreciate it.

Thank you for this alternative perspective. It really helps as I process all the info. I really appreciate it. [emoji4]

I should have said before that another advantage of an Anchorage departure is that the route TO Denali is pretty wonderful too - you get a real sense of the endless forests and lakes of the Susitna Valley, Cook Inlet, and can appreciate how little the human impact on the country really is, things you can't experience from the road.

For example -

matsuforest.jpg

matsulakes2.jpg

In May- the Glenn Highway is especially scenic with the snow cover, at the higher areas. I too don't find the Talkeetna drive any more than a transit. Not a "scenic" area that stands out, in my opinion. Adding the Hatcher Pass drive from the Palmer side could offer a nice drive, outside of your flight.

Talkeetna is a funky little place, that I do enjoy stopping and staying at. BUT- I'm not short on time. So, better would perhaps be, selecting what you want out of your trip? IF scenery- go in that direction, if Talkeetna flightseeing- another direction- add a float trip? etc

Thank you all. Since we are too limited to do Denali right, we will stay the night in Anchorage, flightsee with Rust's, spend the afternoon exploring the area around Anchorage and meander (southernism [emoji4]) on over to Girdwood for the night. Then we can drive to Seward the next morning, and check it out a bit before turning in the rental car.

We do enjoy scenery (living by the Smoky Mtns has spoiled us), and we wanted to do mostly ground touring from the cruise, so this works for us.

Still have to plan for the afternoon that day in Anchorage/Girdwood, but because of all your kind help, we have a plan, and are booking tonight.

Really appreciate it. [emoji4]

I also don't find the drive between Anchorage and Talkeetna very inspiring or interesting, and unless someone plans to do a flight seeing excursion out of Talkeetna I just don't see the point in stopping anymore. While the town used to be a funky little community, for at least this Alaskan, it has become somewhat of a tourist trap.