Scales on Board? Please Weigh In!

Chunder Worthy

Approaching the eve of my Emerald Princess cruise, I'm happy to report I've done very well in trimming myself down to a respectful, uh, Lido deck weight, and would like to monitor and ride herd on the reasonably-expected bump-ups from the cruise food.

Would there be weight scales for guests' use onboard somewhere*, presumably in the gym or such (don't think I'd care to go to the medical station - too afraid they'd try to keep me for observation), or are they considered an anathema on a cruise ship? I have a smartphone app but it's just too hard to see the readout underneath my foot... ;)

*Alternatively I suppose I can locate them by looking for the tell-tale boxes of Kleenex tissues nearby.

There is generally a scale in the gym. However, I have seen, during the (very few) times I've worked out there, people adjust, shake and tweak the scale enough that I'm not sure it's a very accurate provider of information, even from one day to the next. The Medical Center does frown on non-revenue weigh ins, but I've known people who have managed to use the scale there.

Approaching the eve of my Emerald Princess cruise, I'm happy to report I've done very well in trimming myself down to a respectful, uh, Lido deck weight, and would like to monitor and ride herd on the reasonably-expected bump-ups from the cruise food.

Would there be weight scales for guests' use onboard somewhere*, presumably in the gym or such (don't think I'd care to go to the medical station - too afraid they'd try to keep me for observation), or are they considered an anathema on a cruise ship? I have a smartphone app but it's just too hard to see the readout underneath my foot... ;)

*Alternatively I suppose I can locate them by looking for the tell-tale boxes of Kleenex tissues nearby.

You can find one in the gym.

....people adjust, shake and tweak the scale enough that I'm not sure it's a very accurate provider of information, even from one day to the next.

Great (and understandable) observation! Maybe I'll put a 10-lb. weight on it first before I step on it myself to give me a calibration reference point for gains or (uh-huh) losses.

Thanks for the responses folks.

• Haha 1

The few times I've used the gym scale it has been while in port. With the movement of the ship at sea, I doubt if it's an accurate reading as it has varied when at sea.

I eat & drink in moderation & if I gain a couple of pounds I'll quickly lose it at home. ;)

The few times I've used the gym scale it has been while in port. With the movement of the ship at sea, I doubt if it's an accurate reading as it has varied when at sea.

I eat & drink in moderation & if I gain a couple of pounds I'll quickly lose it at home. ;)

Tried a luggage scale once.

• Haha 2

Stand on your beloved at the beginning of the cruise and record the grunts/squeals/protests.

Stand on your beloved at the end of the cruise and compare the squeals/grunts/protests (after the medics have revived them):rolleyes:

Yes, I know, I am a bad man...

Stand on your beloved at the beginning of the cruise and record the grunts/squeals/protests.

Stand on your beloved at the end of the cruise and compare the squeals/grunts/protests (after the medics have revived them):rolleyes:

Yes, I know, I am a bad man...

That's resourceful, but, uh, how do I differentiate them from the regular grunts/squeals/protests I hear on a daily basis?

• Haha 1

Go to the gym on the first day of your cruise while it is still in port. Then again try each day the ship in in port to check for any changes in your weight. The actual scale could be wrong but at least you can watch for any changes. Trying to weigh yourself while at sea will never give you an accurate weight.

Trying to weigh yourself while at sea will never give you an accurate weight.

Scales only work when the ship is stationary and docked. They don't work at sea.

OK, I'll bite: Why won't they give an accurate weight or even work at sea?

Putting scales in the high traffic areas could make the cruise line more profitable. If constantly aware of any gain in weight, many passengers would cut back on their eating and that would reduce costs for the cruise line.

No, wait, that won't work-----there is no room in the high traffic areas for sets of scales because of all the ship's photographers there taking or selling photos.

• Haha 1

Putting scales in the high traffic areas could make the cruise line more profitable. If constantly aware of any gain in weight, many passengers would cut back on their eating and that would reduce costs for the cruise line.

No, wait, that won't work-----there is no room in the high traffic areas for sets of scales because of all the ship's photographers there taking or selling photos.

Before and after photos?

HA - you teach (and we learn) on two different levels...! But seriously and about the former, I thought of that myself also, kind of a 'scared-straight' incentive to lay off (the food, e.g., profits)...!

The scale "works" but it won't be accurate whenever the ship pitches...either somewhat weightless or like carrying excess baggage which could a description of our bodies after eating too much. :p

The ship cannot keep the calibration of a scale accurate when there is movement. The numbers will move up or down depending on the conditions of the sea. Trust me, I've tried it and gave up.

The ship cannot keep the calibration of a scale accurate when there is movement. The numbers will move up or down depending on the conditions of the sea. Trust me, I've tried it and gave up.

Jaysus -- that much movement even on our 114,000 ton ship?! Well, who am I to argue since you've tried it? OK, note to Mike: Weigh in only in port (or while drinking one). Thanks all for the education.