Departing from Civitavecchia, Italy. Need Advice.

Hi All,

I am traveling on Rhapsody of the Seas departing from Civitavecchia. I am staying in Rome and wanted to know what time should I head to the Port as our ship departs at 5PM.

So what time should we depart from Rome to give us enough time to check-in with ease with RCL? Thanks!

If you're taking the Italian Train, travel time is about 1 hour from Rome to Civitavecchia train station. I'm not sure how far it is by car.

Consider posting this question on the Italy forum. You'll likely get more answers there.

Enjoy your time in Rome - it's an amazing city!

We hooked up with others on our cruise and contracted with Rome Cabs. They picked us up at our hotels about 8:30 and drove us to the ship. On the way, we toured the town of Cheri, a hill top tiny village, where we had a great family style lunch. Another time, we toured the city of Tarquneia and visited a near by vinyard for a wonderful lunch. We arrived at the ship about 2 hours before sailaway. Nice way to begin the cruise.

Do the car service as they can bring you right to the ship's terminal. if you do the train, you need to haul your luggage from the train to the port. From there you will wait for a shuttle bus to pick you up.

We had five of us. I think we headed over around noon, so we still got there in time for a late lunch.

We took the express train that left Rome around 10:00 a.m. It is just a couple blocks from the train station to the shuttle bus pick-up point. Real easy jaunt unless you have an over abundance of luggage.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

Sounds great!

But as our departure is at 5PM. What time should we be there to check-in by?

Is it an absolute mad house at 3PM? OR how does people's experiences compare?

Muster drill is at 4:30 so you will need to be there for that. I don't remember what time you "had to" be there for a Rome cruise embarkation.

Sounds great!

But as our departure is at 5PM. What time should we be there to check-in by?

Is it an absolute mad house at 3PM? OR how does people's experiences compare?

I would try to get to the ship as early as they would take me. I would be concerned about cutting it too close and hitting some sort of traffic delay.

The trip once you leave the inner city of Rome is at least an hour. We never want to check in much after 12 . Always leave time for traffic!!! We use a private car service from our hotel. Everyone is out of the tent terminal by 9:30 am. People arrive all day as in other ports. The port is large and you cannot walk in from town .

I would try to get to the ship as early as they would take me. I would be concerned about cutting it too close and hitting some sort of traffic delay.

That's my policy too, even in FLL when we are staying 4 blocks away. I figure I paid for the day, so I might as well be there.

I think you have to have checked in by 3.30pm (don't quote me on that - check yourself!) and the train is about an hours ride away if I remember correctly.

I think we allowed a couple of "spare" trains between the one we got and the last one we could get just in case which I think meant leaving Termini around 1.00pm.

If you do this (which is easy to do) just bear in mind the trains to Civitevecchia leave from a platform at Termini that is the full length of the station away - depending how fast you walk allow a good 10 mins to walk from the main concourse to the actual platform. We knew this in advance as a friend had told us and still only just made it!

We are staying in Rome for a few days pre-cruise. I have a private car picking us up at 10AM. I like to make my first day count! After all it is Day 1 of my cruise and every day counts!

How early do they let Rome passengers on board?

Thanks

We are staying in Rome for a few days pre-cruise. I have a private car picking us up at 10AM. I like to make my first day count! After all it is Day 1 of my cruise and every day counts!

Thanks

I asked that same question earlier and it seems around 11 or 11:30 but that's not a sure thing.

Thanks

We also had a private transfer booked for 10AM, from Via Veneto. Were in Civitavecchia at around 11.15 and sailed right in. Quickest and smoothest embarkation ever :) The disembarkation was the same, we were among the last to leave the ship at 9.30AM.

Cruise docs should say what time you should be checked in prior to departure. . We stayed in Rome prior to cruise, used ship transfer from hotel to port. Depending on traffic it's at least a hour drive or more.

Enjoy

You can book a transfer by RCL from hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia port? What is the cost? where you made your reservation?

You can book a transfer by RCL from hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia port? What is the cost? where you made your reservation?

I looked into this-- it's $75 from a central Rome hotel. Your TA can make the reservation or you can call RC. I checked Google maps and its 8 km from where my hotel was. I found a shared shuttle that will pick you up at the hotel for 67 euros. It's called Bob's Limos and they have good reviews. I'm traveling solo, so a private transfer is VERY expensive.

I had originally planned to take the train, as my hotel is a short distance from Tremini train station. But having back issues lately, so schlepping luggage seems less appealing.

I have a tight transfer to the airport, so I'm taking the cruise shuttle there.