Stupid deposit question...

The current WOW sale offers a half deposit, which is really appealing to us. If we put a deposit down for an Allure sailing, but decided we wanted to switch to a different cruise, we can just transfer the deposit, correct? And we would not lose any money?

You would not lose money, but unless there is another reduced deposit promo in force at the time you switch, you may have to pay more deposit.

I tried booking my freedom cruise today. Still has full price on deposit.

Did you call or use Royal's website? I don't believe the website handles reduced deposits.

The current WOW sale offers a half deposit, which is really appealing to us. If we put a deposit down for an Allure sailing, but decided we wanted to switch to a different cruise, we can just transfer the deposit, correct? And we would not lose any money?

Not as long as you did the switch by the final payment date.

Not as long as you did the switch by the final payment date.

Actually Bob is correct (as he usually is). I did this exact thing a couple weeks ago. I had Oasis booked for Oct. 2016 at a 50% deposit. Switched the booking to Harmony for Feb. 2017. They applied the 50% I had already paid, but since it was full deposit required, I had to pay the additional 50%.

Whenever you change a booking, the rules that apply when you change it go into effect. In reality, you are "canceling" one cruise and "booking" another. Same goes for price drops prior to final payment. If you take advantage of a price drop you change to the new "deal" and lose anything from the original deal (like OBC or BOGHO Drink Packages).

When I booked yesterday, it would not come up on my TA's site. I had to book through Royal for the half off. Called today and got the obc of $100. I just sent off a transfer form today to get it switched to the TA. Crazy

reduced deposit amounts will never, until the IT department fixes is, show reduced deposits....

It should allow you to pay half if you book on line and once the system updates you will get a confirm showing BOOKED instead if OFFERED.

It never says the reduced amount on the TA site, but it works. Some day, amybe in the 22nd century, this seemingly easy to fix issue will be resolved.

If you read the fine print on promo materials, it will say something like the reduced deposit amount will not show up...

pass the advil

Actually Bob is correct (as he usually is). I did this exact thing a couple weeks ago. I had Oasis booked for Oct. 2016 at a 50% deposit. Switched the booking to Harmony for Feb. 2017. They applied the 50% I had already paid, but since it was full deposit required, I had to pay the additional 50%.

Whenever you change a booking, the rules that apply when you change it go into effect. In reality, you are "canceling" one cruise and "booking" another. Same goes for price drops prior to final payment. If you take advantage of a price drop you change to the new "deal" and lose anything from the original deal (like OBC or BOGHO Drink Packages).

Actually, I wasn't disagreeing with Bob, only adding a point and addressing the actual questions - "we can just transfer the deposit, correct? And we would not lose any money?" The answer to both of those is "yes" but ONLY if it is done no later than the final payment date.

Yes, you may be required to add additional deposit depending on the cruise you are wanting to switch to and what promotions are available at that time, but you CAN transfer the deposit and you will NOT lose any money, again, as long as it is by the final payment date.

As you said, when you change the sailing you are in effect "cancelling" one cruise and "booking another", and if you "cancel" a cruise past the final payment date, you are subject to a penalty of at least the amount of the deposit.

As you said, when you change the sailing you are in effect "cancelling" one cruise and "booking another", and if you "cancel" a cruise past the final payment date, you are subject to a penalty of at least the amount of the deposit.

If you keep the same booking number, you are not cancelling the first cruise: you are transferring it to another cruise. Always keep the booking number intact before final payment. This is especially important if you booked on board another cruise to begin with. You keep the onboard booking obc by moving to a new cruise with the same booking number.

They have some rule now about only being allowed to do this once without the onboard booking obc being dropped to a much smaller amount. However, my TA knows if they try to do this when I move a cruise to another one, to just tell them on the spot to cancel the cruise and that we will wait until the next sale to rebook. Or, we might just go look at another cruise line for the same itinerary. She hasn't had to do this yet, but she's prepared just in case.

They have some rule now about only being allowed to do this once without the onboard booking obc being dropped to a much smaller amount. However, my TA knows if they try to do this when I move a cruise to another one, to just tell them on the spot to cancel the cruise and that we will wait until the next sale to rebook. Or, we might just go look at another cruise line for the same itinerary. She hasn't had to do this yet, but she's prepared just in case.

If you booked you cruise onboard AFTER March 6th or 8th, 2015 (not sure of exact date) they are once again allowing changes without the OBC being reduced as long as the sailing is the same category and cruise length.

Edited by molly361

If you booked you cruise onboard AFTER March 6th or 8th, 2015 (not sure of exact date) they are once again allowing changes without the OBC being reduced as long as the sailing is the same category and cruise length.

Well, that is REALLY good news.

I talked to C&A about that policy last summer, and it still burns me. They came to their senses about this.

I don't mind giving them my deposit money sometimes years in advance to add to their money pot for collecting interest. I don't mind paying a penalty if I change my mind after final payment. I don't mind not getting price reductions after final payment, but getting upgrades. BUT, to penalize me when I'm still sailing with them and going to pay the price difference for a different cruise was absolute craziness to me. It was like penalizing me to do business with them when they are keeping my original money.

A phone call to their Customer Service rep to change the booking is NOT going to cost them $75, which is what I would have lost in obc if this dumb policy stayed intact.

So, I'm really happy to hear this. Thank you for educating me!! :D