Quantum of the seas pools vs other classes

I have noticed that Quantum class ships only have one pool in the main pool area, other class of ships for example Independence of the seas has two pools in parallel...

Why have they reduced the number of pools...? Is it to make extra sun bed space?

:D:eek:

They have an outdoor pool in front of the Northstar area and bar.

A small kiddie pool by it but nothing like the H20 Zone on Indy, with a small lazy river type thing.

There is an indoor pool in a solarium type area which is available for all ages.

Then at the front of the ship there is an adult only solarium part which has tier type 'pools' and hot tubs but these are more for sitting in and relaxing rather than swimming.

They have an outdoor pool in front of the Northstar area and bar.

A small kiddie pool by it but nothing like the H20 Zone on Indy, with a small lazy river type thing.

There is an indoor pool in a solarium type area which is available for all ages.

Then at the front of the ship there is an adult only solarium part which has tier type 'pools' and hot tubs but these are more for sitting in and relaxing rather than swimming.

Yes but why is there only one pool in the 'main' pool area.

Oddly I've just noticed from the deck plan Merion_mum posted that the movie screen is in the wrong place?!

On the Quantum it is on the Port side of the ship above the pool not inbetween the pool and the H20 Zone?! :confused:

Edited by Gingerbint
forgot a word!

Oddly I've just noticed from the deck plan Merion_mum posted that the movie screen is in the wrong place?!

On the Quantum it is on the Port side of the ship above the pool not inbetween the pool and the H20 Zone?! :confused:

They decided to move it during the final stages of construction. I believe it was Mr. Fain who saw it in the original location between the pool and H2O zone and decided it should be moved.

And to the OP, Quantum/Anthem are built more for cold weather, hence why there is not two outdoor pools. However, they have both an indoor solarium with pools and an indoor family-friendly pool, along with the H2O zone. When compared to Indy, they have almost the same amount of pools:

Indy: 2 outdoor, 1 solarium, H2O zone

Quantum: 1 outdoor, 1 indoor, 1 solarium, H2O zone

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

They decided to move it during the final stages of construction. I believe it was Mr. Fain who saw it in the original location between the pool and H2O zone and decided it should be moved.

And to the OP, Quantum/Anthem are built more for cold weather, hence why there is not two outdoor pools. However, they have both an indoor solarium with pools and an indoor family-friendly pool, along with the H2O zone. When compared to Indy, they have almost the same amount of pools:

Indy: 2 outdoor, 1 solarium, H2O zone

Quantum: 1 outdoor, 1 indoor, 1 solarium, H2O zone

So we can conclude that both ships have the same pool space just in a different configuration.

It was a deliberate design decision to not have side by side pools in the main pool area. As posted above the Quantum class were designed with more cool weather cruising in mind. The covered pool area has a retractable roof and upper window wall design allowing it to be a mostly open air space in warmer climates. I personally think this was a smart move as it gives more flexibity for pool use in cool/inclement weather. Sailing from Bayonne in winter and also from ports like Southampton this would seem a very good decision to have more indoor/outdoor space vs the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class which have ZERO indoor pool/Solarium space of any kind. Even if a Quantum class gets stationed from a warm weather port like Ft. Lauderdale, there are many wet/cool days at sea in the winter months where the enclosed main pool, in addition to the solarium, will be a welcome addition. I have cruised multiple times in Nov/Dec from Florida ports where the first and last days at sea the pool areas were not useable due to rain or temperature.

I personally think the Quantum class looks to actually have more pool deck area than the Voyager/Freedom class as the Solarium occupies space traditionally taken by the spa/gym area on those ships and the indoor/outdoor covered pool takes the space previously occupied by the solarium on the Voyager/Freedom class. Looking at photos and videos there seem to be plenty of sun loungers on the outdoor decks one level up from the pools, with resonable access to the pool deck itself. The H2O Zone does appear much smaller on the Quantum class but still appears to have the round pool w/ the current like the Freedom class.

Voyager/Freedom Pool deck:

C6.JPG

Freedom H2O Zone:

freedom_of_the_seas-002.jpg

Voyager/Freedom Solarium:

1158257633.jpg

Quantum Pool Deck and H2O Zone:

Quantum-of-the-Seas-0941.JPG

Quantum Covered pool:

Quantum3-res.jpg

Quantum Solarium:

solarium-quantum-of-the-seas-interior-photos-2.jpg

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

It was a deliberate design decision to not have side by side pools in the main pool area. As posted above the Quantum class were designed with more cool weather cruising in mind. The covered pool area has a retractable roof and upper window wall design allowing it to be a mostly open air space in warmer climates. I personally think this was a smart move as it gives more flexibity for pool use in cool/inclement weather. Sailing from Bayonne in winter and also from ports like Southampton this would seem a very good decision to have more indoor/outdoor space vs the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class which have ZERO indoor pool/Solarium space of any kind. Even if a Quantum class gets stationed from a warm weather port like Ft. Lauderdale, there are many wet/cool days at sea in the winter months where the enclosed main pool, in addition to the solarium, will be a welcome addition. I have cruised multiple times in Nov/Dec from Florida ports where the first and last days at sea the pool areas were not useable due to rain or temperature.

I personally think the Quantum class looks to actually have more pool deck area than the Voyager/Freedom class as the Solarium occupies space traditionally taken by the spa/gym area on those ships and the indoor/outdoor covered pool takes the space previously occupied by the solarium on the Voyager/Freedom class. Looking at photos and videos there seem to be plenty of sun loungers on the outdoor decks one level up from the pools, with resonable access to the pool deck itself. The H2O Zone does appear much smaller on the Quantum class but still appears to have the round pool w/ the current like the Freedom class.

Voyager/Freedom Pool deck:

C6.JPG

Freedom H2O Zone:

freedom_of_the_seas-002.jpg

Voyager/Freedom Solarium:

1158257633.jpg

Quantum Pool Deck and H2O Zone:

Quantum-of-the-Seas-0941.JPG

Quantum Covered pool:

Quantum3-res.jpg

Quantum Solarium:

solarium-quantum-of-the-seas-interior-photos-2.jpg

I 100% agree with what you said. Thanks for posting the pics.

So we can conclude that both ships have the same pool space just in a different configuration.

Great pics - thanks

One thing you may want to take into account is the space per person.

Voyager - 3136, Freedom 3600, Quantum 4180.

My point was that the competition to get a space by the outdoor pool on Quantum is higher.

I enjoy sitting outside, so this could be an issue It's already enough of a challenge on most ships.

We sailed Quantum back in January. I was very disappointed with the pool set up. I sailed in January to get some sun and warm weather, but Quantum has only one open pool. Both the solarium and "indoor covered" pool really don't get any sun. I usually went one deck up, as did a lot of people. Even when they opened the roof to the covered pool, there was hardly any sun. I won't sail that class of ship again, if I can help it.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Quantum & in my opinion there are more than enough pools & deck chairs available across the entire deck 14 as well as hundreds more deck chairs on deck 15. I have never seen so many sun loungers in my life. There were always plenty available. In the main outdoor pool area, there is a fairly large pool which never seemed overcrowded on my cruise. Right next to this there is a large wave pool for kids as well as another circular pool which kind of acts as a whirlpool which kids also seem to have enjoyed. So technically there are still at least two pools in this area, just a different design. The middle enclosed pool was actually quite large. It was closed the entire cruise I was on but looked to me like certain glass panels could be opened. The front solarium area was by far my favourite pool/spa area and was never overcrowded either.

We sailed Quantum back in January. I was very disappointed with the pool set up....I won't sail that class of ship again, if I can help it.

I was disappointed too... but regarding not sailing again for this reason, how was the rest of your experience on board? Maybe you would change your mind based on an itinerary. I would hope someday in the near future RCL deploys a Q ship to Alaska or the Baltics/Norway. Q is THE perfect cold weather ship imho, better than Radiance, again only my humble opinion.

Having been on the Anthem leaving from Southampton, I can say that the indoor pool was extremely popular. The weather wasn't warm enough to be outside until we reached the canary islands, and even then, it was very windy and chilly in the evenings. The indoor pool was great for the kids to still enjoy a swim. They did open the roof on one or two of the days and that was very nice. Even when it was warm enough to enjoy the outdoor pool, many liked to use the inside one. If it wasn't for the indoor pool, many would have missed out.

On the Quantum. The front pools in the Solarium are only about thigh deep & more for chilling in than swimming. The indoor pool & outside pool seemed to be about the same depth which I think was around 1.6mtr. The circular kids pool was about waist deep.

I thought Quantum was beautiful. The cabin was very comfortable, but besides the lack of sun on the pool deck, we were one of the first cruises with Dynamic Dining and things were still being fixed. I also thought that compared to Explorer who also left from Cape Liberty, Quantum was way overpriced. We did get free internet for the week to keep us happy. The dining is done totally differently now so I guess I should give it another try. This time I would know to go up one deck from the pools to get my sun. Most importantly, Anthem's prices seem a little more reasonable than Quantum's.

The indoor pool's side walls and roof open so it can act as an outdoor pool when in warm weather. The Solarium area is the best in the fleet. I could have spent all day there when the weather was cool or cold.

• 9 months later...
Hi Clarea,

we will do the following cruise: Shanghai, Kochi, Hiroshima, Kobe.

Did you do the same route or were you on any ?

thank you

Maria

Hello Maria. Unfortunately, we have not cruised anywhere in Asia. I hope to some day.