Dress Code for Colonnade and Patio Grill At Dinner

Shawski

99% of the people who sail on SB have never heard of CC, will never see this thread and will continue to wear what they want. So all we get here is venting and if it makes people feel better so be it!

Bathing suits were seen t the Patio Restaurant and jeans most definitely were in he Colonnade most nights.I asked about it and was told we cannot deny anyone in any dining venue.This was our 10th cruise and the most relaxed about the dress code.I have to say that 85% of he passengers were not happy with the relaxed dress code.

From Seabourn's website ... this implies jeans are fine in dining venues other than The Restaurant on elegant casual nights.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

•Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues

•Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

•In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.

•Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in any public venues after 6pm.

This thread (no pun intended) is getting a bit silly and overheated. Shall we agree to disagree (even though I do not understand what some people are going on about, I must admit).

Well said and thank you !!!!

I totally agree with everything Julie wrote. We have selected Seabourn over the last 14 years in part because we liked dining in a venue that required dressing up. Sadly we have seen the dress code significantly watered down over the years. And just as with speed limits on highways where whatever you raise the limit to most people will go 10 miles over the posted limit, each time the dress code was relaxed, rather than dress to that level, many took it as authorization to dress down even more so. On my recent April cruise,, the first where gentlemen were no longer required to wear jackets , on the non formal optional night I was amazed to see how many men entered the Restaurant without socks, and in some cases with flip flops. As the dress code does not address footwear they were technically within their right but ..... There will always be those who no matter what the dress code will feel entitled to push the envelope.

Whatever next?

Going to dinner without any knickers on?

I find that I dress as I always do wherever in the world.

I know that I look good in any situation and am always correctly dressed.

It is not me that will feel uncomfortable but rather those that have no idea how to dress.

Yes Mr. L, my point exactly. You give them an inch they take mile.

Back to the OP -- your question was about polo shirts in the Colonnade. The answer seems quite clear that they do not seem to fall within the category of collared dress shirt and thus do not fall within the guidelines set down by Seabourn. Whether people think they should be allowed is a whole other matter. It is the same with the smoking issue -- if you know lighting up in the Restaurant does not fall within Seabourn's guidelines would you do it anyway? I think even the most ardent smoker would not try to get away with that. Thus they are left with either following the rules or picking another cruise line. Why should guidelines pertaining to clothing be allowed any more leeway?

Oh, but Seabourn does allow smoking on verandas and other inside venues and that my friends keep us away. I don't want to be on a pretentious ship anyway.

Just keep the people who don't want too much formality away and don't want smoking. It will be our pleasure to stay with the highest rated cruise line. We vote with our wallet.

As a former model and in the fashion business for years a few Seabourn people cannot adapt to change. Sounds too stuffy for us.

Sounds too stuffy for us.

You should stay where you are comfortable. To me, this thread is more about borderline slovenly dress that pushes the overall atmosphere on a downward trajectory. Not so much about dress code merits.

Stuffiness on SB......I see more of that on Crystal.

Edited by oregon50

You should stay where you are comfortable. To me, this thread is more about borderline slovenly dress that pushes the overall atmosphere on a downward trajectory. Not so much about dress code merits.

Stuffiness on SB......I see more of that on Crystal.

So when was your last Crystal cruise?

It would be so much more helpful if cc members with Seabourn experience would actually provide useful practical advice regarding the dress code for those new to Seabourn. It really is not helpful when some on this forum pontificate re the policy and judge others so harshly. The Seabourn dress code does in fact have gaps, so rather those focusing on complaining about those that don't follow the dress code, why not provide helpful advice of what is within the dress code. When it comes to dress codes...the devil can be in the details as they say.

Such as:

- dress code says no jeans in The Restaurant on elegant casual, does that also apply to the patio and collanade? Not that I will bring jeans with me, but it helps others.

- linen collared shirts are usually worn "untucked" from men's trousers, particularly in hot weather. TIs this within the dress code, or is the assumption that your collared shirt needed to be tucked into your trousers and you wear a belt?

- I will often wear my Tods or Ferragamos without socks in hot weather? :cool: Is this acceptable to wear an elegantly casual jacket, with a collared shirt but with my Tods with no socks? In The Restaurant? In the Collanade? Or where?

I could go on and on but I think everyone should understand what I'm getting at?

It would be so much more helpful if cc members with Seabourn experience would actually provide useful practical advice regarding the dress code for those new to Seabourn. It really is not helpful when some on this forum pontificate re the policy and judge others so harshly. The Seabourn dress code does in fact have gaps, so rather those focusing on complaining about those that don't follow the dress code, why not provide helpful advice of what is within the dress code. When it comes to dress codes...the devil can be in the details as they say.

Such as:

- dress code says no jeans in The Restaurant on elegant casual, does that also apply to the patio and collanade? Not that I will bring jeans with me, but it helps others.

- linen collared shirts are usually worn "untucked" from men's trousers, particularly in hot weather. TIs this within the dress code, or is the assumption that your collared shirt needed to be tucked into your trousers and you wear a belt?

- I will often wear my Tods or Ferragamos without socks in hot weather? :cool: Is this acceptable to wear an elegantly casual jacket, with a collared shirt but with my Tods with no socks? In The Restaurant? In the Collanade? Or where?

I could go on and on but I think everyone should understand what I'm getting at?

Thank you and so well said. No socks? Oh the damnation in those cheap Ferragamos and those those cheap Versace dress jeans that really do not look like jeans. No socks....you will be shunned.

We still drag our Tux but this is the last year we are doing this. Many men are giving it up for a suit or sports jacket..

Times are changing and so is fashion forward.

The word "expensive" has appeared a few times in these threads and I have resisted saying anything until now.

Apparently, there are posters who equate expense with style and their style with their privilege- as in making their type of "progress" and "personal

brand" in interpreting what the Seabourn dress code means. And sometimes they throw in that this is what they do at their country clubs.

If you are wondering about these people, well, I wonder too. I think it's odd

that they believe they are trendsetters with "style". After all, money and idiosyncrasy do not establish, much less promote, elegance and good taste. Adhering to Seabourn's dress code does, as does respecting the standards

followed by those who take the trouble to do so.

Want jeans, no socks, no belts, can't abide shirts with collars, love "designer" tee shirts- maybe with big and bright commercial logos and flip flops? Regent- and now I am learning that Crystal- may be beckoning for you as (someone else mentioned) does the possibility of chartering a private yacht. Woo hoo!

Happy sailing!

The word "expensive" has appeared a few times in these threads and I have resisted saying anything until now.

Apparently, there are posters who equate expense with style and their style with their privilege- as in making their type of "progress" and "personal

brand" in interpreting what the Seabourn dress code means. And sometimes they throw in that this is what they do at their country clubs.

If you are wondering about these people, well, I wonder too. I think it's odd

that they believe they are trendsetters with "style". After all, money and idiosyncrasy do not establish, much less promote, elegance and good taste. Adhering to Seabourn's dress code does, as does respecting the standards

followed by those who take the trouble to do so.

Want jeans, no socks, no belts, can't abide shirts with collars, love "designer" tee shirts- maybe with big and bright commercial logos and flip flops? Regent- and now I am learning that Crystal- may be beckoning for you as (someone else mentioned) does the possibility of chartering a private yacht. Woo hoo!

Happy sailing!

Well said Markham, I have seen this self same argument many times from certain people that expense = taste, but I don't "buy" it.........sorry couldn't resist. :o

It is the same sort of people who argue that anyone who wants the dress code adhered to must have old fashioned taste and not know current style. Well I certainly check out what's coming out via magazines, pin interest and online I check the runway styles for the coming seasons.

Sun prince when my husband gets home I will check with him regarding some of your questions. I do remember seeing non tucked in fashion shirts that were designed to be worn out on men in the Colonnade and Patio grill. I noticed because we were having dinner with these two great guys and that's what they wore :).

Julie

I don't quite understand why some people use a thread started to simply clarify an issue with respect to the dress code to stand on their soapbox and denigrate those who adhere to the current requirements as being either unstylish or snobby.

Ok, I will give it a try....

There are are really five categories of men's shirts:

- formal dress ( aka tuxedo) shirt - this is the shirt you wear with a formal tuxedo and the shirt should always be white

- dress shirt - this is the shirt that you wear with a business suit. It can be white or most other colours. As well as have a stripe or check. My personal view is that a dress shirt should not be a very dark color such as black, or dark brown or blue, although you see some men wear those colours with a suit ( but not appropriate in a formal business environment)

- sport or casual shirt - this is a shirt with a collar that is more casual. Can be short or long sleeved and the material can be cotton, linen etc and this type of shirt usually has a pattern such as a gingham, check, plaid, stripe etc

- polo shirt - this is a casual shirt, I believe originally intended for day wear. It has a collar and is usually made of a knit material/ cotton and comes in many colours, patterns etc. Also, a rugby shirt, is basically a long sleeved polo shirt.

- t-shirt - this is your typical cotton shirt without a color. Can be short or long sleeved

The other type of shirt that has recently come back into popularity is a "band" collar shirt. It is similar to a casual/sport shirt and has a band collar vs. a full collar. Not sure how this one fits into all the various dress codes and personal standards/ expectations. I would expect it would be considered more of a " working class/ poor mans" shirt and consequently get a "shun" from those on Seabourn expecting old school formalities.

So if I interpreted Seabourn's dress code to the letter, I would only be wearing a dress shirt that I would wear with a business suit. I'd guess this was not their intention.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this description, which did clarify, although I've only just been able to get back to the thread and it's moved on quite a lot since I posted !

Our two versions of English do meet on most of those shirt descriptions, it would just be the "dress shirt" that is confusing as discussed earlier.

So, to offer a list of shirts that I've seen on SB cruises after 6pm: formal dress shirts, business (dress in the US)shirts, sport shirts (ie a smart-ish shirt made of cotton, silk or linen, with collar but with short sleeves) and I have seen polo shirts. In fact, my brother wore a polo shirt on several evenings on our last cruise, when dining at Patio Grill.

I would say that Formal night excepted, on warm weather cruises most of the gentlemen tend to wear a sport shirt, often untucked.

I agree with your summation about the intention of SB, given that it also states that a sweater is appropriate instead of a shirt.

IMO, this most recent dress code is actually full of holes and is not as clear as the former dress code.

Edited by Nigella

Chairman well said. The vast majority of SB and SS guests dress just fine. INMHO a sport coat and a tie is just fine for formal night. Its a good night to eat in the colonnade etc. Sport coats and tuxes look just fine together in the Observation bar before dinner. Peeps can head wherever they want after that . The polo vs collar vs weight of fabric discussion should be a saturday night live skit.

Maybe a new thread should be started: What do you wear on Seabourn,Silversea,Regent and Crystal? Many people on Seabourn have experienced most of these lines and can make a comparison on evening dress code.

I think an SNL skit on this would be hilarious as well.

Nobody has said a thing about smoking on Seabourn on their verandas which keeps many people away. Oh Lord. Here comes another debate.

The last thing we need is a noter thread on dress code. Or smoking. Or kids. Everything that can be said has already been said many, many, many times.

Oh we're very overdue a kids one! It's been ages. :D

The last thing we need is a noter thread on dress code. Or smoking. Or kids. Everything that can be said has already been said many, many, many times.

+1. leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Just don't be rude and hang your bare feet over a chair in the lounge, That I cannot abide.

We must have been on the same cruise as capri73 and commented to friends that we found a distinct, but not unreasonable, change in the dress code. Casual was more common and even The Restaurant was less formal, although most adopted (for men) a minimum of jacket.

In other areas, again, the "casualisation" of the dress code was apparent, but again,, there were only a very few who sought to take the level down to denim jeans and T shirts.