Upsell offers when using deep discount TA

DaveOKC

On another thread we were discussing this issue, so I got to wondering.......

If I use a deep discount TA (such as a large box store or mass online) will they contact me with upsell offers? Or is it too much for them to bother with given their size and volume?

I get some very good, direct to me, upsell offers using my HAL PCC now, on almost every cruise and I would hate to give this up. However, the lower prices that others are touting such sound nice!

What has been your experience?

If I use a deep discount TA (such as a large box store or mass online) will they contact me with upsell offers? Or is it too much for them to bother with given their size and volume?

Ours does. They also have our authorization to just book the upsell, if offered, when it is within our pre-approved limit without even contacting us first.

Although they are a huge online agency, we deal with them mainly over the phone and have a regular agent handling our file, much like a PCC.

I get some very good, direct to me, upsell offers using my HAL PCC now, on almost every cruise and I would hate to give this up. However, the lower prices that others are touting such sound nice!

Like you, I book direct and hope for last minute upsells. I am wondering if there is a third strategy worth considering. Maybe some other posters can chime in. Does it make sense to:

1) Book directly with HAL for the lowest cabin class you find acceptable. This locks up any perks HAL may be offering

2) Negotiate a good upgrade deal directly with HAL to the cabin you want. This is usually possible if the price drops. This could be for free or additional money. Also, you may have to negotiate to keep some or all of your HAL perks.

3) Turn the booking over to a TA to pick up any additional TA perks.

This could be a way to maximize perks but it still may limit your visibility to last minute upsells. I am curious if any posters have used this strategy successfully.

Yes.

Our on line TA also brought us 'move over' from another cruise line. For the inconvenience of moving our cruise we were given a free 14 day cruise, an upgrade, plus a refund of $200 air change cost.

There are a lot of misconceptions about on line TA's out there. We buy much more on line today for reasons of convenience, price, selection etc. TA services are no different.

One thing that I have never understood is why some people believe that they have 'more control' over their booking by dealing directly with the cruise line or by booking with a bricks and mortar agency.

Edited by iancal

Yes.

Our on line TA also brought us 'move over' from another cruise line. For the inconvenience of moving our cruise we were given a free 14 day cruise, an upgrade, plus a refund of $200 air change cost.

There are a lot of misconceptions about on line TA's out there. We buy much more on line today for reasons of convenience, price, selection etc. TA services are no different.

Interesting. Do you know if the "move over" offer was spawned by overbooking by the cruise line?

It must have been because of over booking. The offer came at the end December for a Feb 15 cruise. It was a fourteen day cruise. We got to pick any other fourteen day cruise within one year from our original embarkation date.

Our on line TA transmitted the offer. She also arranged a three way con call between her, me, and Princess to make certain that we understood the deal. She subsequently reviewed the written offer details and then did another three way call so hat we could get our replacement cruise with the mini suite upgrade and the cabin that we wanted.

It must have been because of over booking. The offer came at the end December for a Feb 15 cruise. It was a fourteen day cruise. We got to pick any other fourteen day cruise within one year from our original embarkation date.

Our on line TA transmitted the offer. She also arranged a three way con call between her, me, and Princess to make certain that we understood the deal. She subsequently reviewed the written offer details and then did another three way call so hat we could get our replacement cruise with the mini suite upgrade and the cabin that we wanted.

Thanks. That helps to explain some recent pricing behavior I have witnessed.

In a prior post, you mentioned people had a misconception about controlling their bookings. I am wondering if the cruise lines are following the lead of airlines and hotels to significantly reduce commissions or completely disintermediate all TAs. To do this effectively, they must attract and engender loyalty with direct bookers. One way to start this is to provide better upsell deals to direct bookers. There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that this happens today.

Everyone talks about how cruise lines are cutting corners on food and service. I think those things are minor compared to reducing huge TA commissions.

Based purely on our own experience, we would never deal directly with the cruise line. We get a much better price, in terms of additional OBC's and the occasional free excursion from our TA.

We get excellent service. We do not limit ourselves to one cruise line. We get her client feedback about other ships/lines without a particular bias. Even though we know what we want to book, more than once she has made us aware of a more attractive offer (to us) on a different ship/cruise line. A direct rep would hardly let us know about more attractive offers on competing lines!

How you book simply boils down to one's preferences. One thing is for certain though. We view this purely as a business relationship. We are not looking for a best friend. We want to keep it arms length in case of a misunderstandings etc.

I have little doubt that the cruise lines would like to cut out the TA and deal direct. Not certain that this will happen. But, I can envisage them reducing the agency commissions down to the point that corresponds to the on line business model.

Edited by iancal

Thanks. That helps to explain some recent pricing behavior I have witnessed.

In a prior post, you mentioned people had a misconception about controlling their bookings. I am wondering if the cruise lines are following the lead of airlines and hotels to significantly reduce commissions or completely disintermediate all TAs. To do this effectively, they must attract and engender loyalty with direct bookers. One way to start this is to provide better upsell deals to direct bookers. There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that this happens today.

Everyone talks about how cruise lines are cutting corners on food and service. I think those things are minor compared to reducing huge TA commissions.

When I booked with a ta I rarely saw upsells. A couple of years ago on the eurodam several of the people got upsells that had booked direct. We were all in the same category. My ta called hal and was told I didn't quality for the upsell. Posters will try to tell you that everyone gets them. That situation tells you that they don't. Since I started booking with a PCC I've seen upsells on all my cruises except one.

Based purely on our own experience, we would never deal directly with the cruise line. We get a much better price, in terms of additional OBC's and the occasional free excursion from our TA.

We get excellent service. We do not limit ourselves to one cruise line. We get her client feedback about other ships/lines without a particular bias. Even though we know what we want to book, more than once she has made us aware of a more attractive offer (to us) on a different ship/cruise line. A direct rep would hardly let us know about more attractive offers on competing lines!

oops, duplicate, sorry.

Edited by kazu

Yes.

One thing that I have never understood is why some people believe that they have 'more control' over their booking by dealing directly with the cruise line or by booking with a bricks and mortar agency.

At one time I used a bricks and mortar TA and got upsell offers (once I knew enough to ask for them).

Then I used a huge on line TA that gave awesome obc but I never got an upsell (and yes they were available - we just didn't get it despite me telling them I was very interested and even gave them a price).

Then I found a TA in the U.S. (we are in Canada) who works for a huge firm. So, yes we get additional obc, good service and upsells. I don't think there has been an occasion yet when I haven't received one from this TA. That includes when there was only one or two cabins available on the P'dam. Of course, if the category is sold out, one can't expect it ;)

Like you, I don't feel that I have any less control over my booking than someone who books directly with HAL. JMO & experience.

(bolding mine)

I'm all for transferring a booking from your PCC to a TA for extra OBC but be sure you read the fine print.

I have been looking around. Yesterday I read all the terms and conditions on the website for a well-known and recommended TA on CC. Down at the bottom of the page, under changes and cancellations, it says they charge $25/pp for each change or cancellation. When a friend called and asked about this, they gave a run-around. :rolleyes: Another friend loves this TA and uses them often. But she admits she has never watched for price drops so really doesn't know how they would handle that.

Depending on the cruise, we have gotten as many as 6 (free) price drops with our PCC, one cruise ended up costing us half the original price. If we had booked through this TA, we would have ended up paying more than the OBC they offered. :cool:

I know some will say their TA doesn't charge. Have you really put them to the test? Have you looked at the fine print?

We have had numerous re-prices and cabin changes/upgrades (when categories are compressed/reprised).

We have never been charged for this. This was one of the basic requirements when we shopped for TA. We found not charging to be the rule, not the exception, with the agencies that we considered dealing with.

BUT....we have to monitor the price. Our TA does not do this nor do we expect her to.

Edited by iancal

We have had numerous re-prices and cabin changes/upgrades (when categories are compressed/reprised).

We have never been charged for this. This was one of the basic requirements when we shopped for TA. We found not charging to be the rule, not the exception, with the agencies that we considered dealing with.

BUT....we have to monitor the price. Our TA does not do this nor do we expect her to.

So far I'm finding that charges are the rule and not the exception. :(

I've checked out 4, and all 4 have charges and fees for changes or cancellations. Guess I just haven't found yours yet. :)

We have dealt with three. None of them charged for re-pricing or cabin changes.

We won't deal with a TA that charges for cancellations either even though we have never had to cancel. Our one other condition is that the cruise line, not the TA, processes our credit card payment.

We won't deal with a TA that charges for cancellations either.

We won't deal with a TA that charges for cancellations either even though we have never had to cancel. Our one other condition is that the cruise line, not the TA, processes our credit card payment.

Ditto :) I have had my cabin re-priced, changed, etc.

I can't say I've never cancelled. I had an Alaska cruise planned and despite the green light, DH's work requirement changed and we couldn't do it. Our TA was very gracious and understanding and we were not charged a cancellation fee. Of course, my TA also knows I don't flit around from cruise to cruise. If I book, I'm going ;)

Great minds think alike :) Your last statement is an ABSOLUTE and a word to the wise :)

Edited by kazu

So far I'm finding that charges are the rule and not the exception. :(

I've checked out 4, and all 4 have charges and fees for changes or cancellations. Guess I just haven't found yours yet. :)

I hope you find a good one soon. I've only had two but neither one charged me for anything at all. It's not likely any of us reporting good experiences are using the same TAs as we are far-flung, so to speak. I haven't used an online one yet.

I believe that the discount that on line TA's provide is attributable to their business model.

They do not need expensive retail space, they do not need multiple offices to serve various geographic locations. In many cases their agents work from home.

It is much easier to remain in business while passing on discounts if your overheads are much lower. If the agency can reach high volumes they most likely get a few extra percentage points in commission from the cruise line.