Non Grills passengers.

foster269

Whatever, no more words from me about dress codes and Cunard except to ask a question which we were puzzling over on QM2. We saw a lot of men looking very smart in white tuxedos. We had thought that white should only be worn in the Tropics and the Atlantic Ocean is definitely not Tropical. Were those men wrong or right to wear white tuxedos.

Wrong or right? There is one person who frequently posts on this board that one should only wear a white tux if he is serving food or playing a saxophone. Even in the tropics.

I do own two white dinner jackets (one is vintage 1930s) and have never taken either on the QM2. Not because I thought it was wrong - I just didn't want to stand out in other people's pictures of the ship and I didn't want to have to pack one more thing in my bag.

Maybe I'll take it along this year to wear with my spectator shoes.

As the excellent website http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Warm_Weather.htm says:

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties.

While summer in the southern United States qualifies as being at least subtropical, the same cannot be said for the more temperate northern states and Canada. It is for this reason that numerous experts advise using discretion north of the Mason-Dixon line in order to avoid dressing for effect rather than for the occasion. Indeed, black-tie guests north of the 49th parallel would be wise to heed the example of their British cousins who do not consider the United Kingdom's temperate climate to be appropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year (with the notable exception of Last Night of the Proms).

And if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips” as Esquire once put it.

Don't forget that the white jacket is an alternative, not a directive. The black jacket is perfectly acceptable in any season and any locale and actually trumps the formality of the white version.

A Med/Caribbean cruise is the only occasion I would wear my white tuxedo jacket, and I love doing so as an alternative to the slightly more formal black version.

Good morning all.

I think it must be time for admin to call a halt to this thread.

As the OP I am struggling to work out what the replies that are appearing have got to do with what I was originally trying to say,ie.I could not see why people thought it was neccessary to keep dropping into threads that they were Grills customers,adding nothing to thread.

Rodger.

Good morning all.

As the OP I am struggling to work out what the replies that are appearing have got to do with what I was originally trying to say,ie.I could not see why people thought it was neccessary to keep dropping into threads that they were Grills customers,adding nothing to thread.

Rodger.

Thats how all conversations develop and evolve - nothing wrong with it as long as all involved are polite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good morning all.

Rodger.

We very rarely close threads on this site, as long as discussions are polite and still about cruising they are allowed to carry on. We tend to see more thread "drift" on this board as it is somewhat quieter than others.

If you ever need to bring something to my attention, please use the report button.

Is there really that much a difference between the Grills and Brittania - aside from the cabin size which would be wonderful of course! I recall reading a recent web review from a Grills passenger who was underwhelmed by the experience. In his review he didn't think that the butler was very useful and he stated he felt a bit isolated at the smaller seating in the Grills dining hall (he was solo). What are the other differences that might matter?

Is there really that much a difference between the Grills and Brittania - aside from the cabin size which would be wonderful of course! I recall reading a recent web review from a Grills passenger who was underwhelmed by the experience. In his review he didn't think that the butler was very useful and he stated he felt a bit isolated at the smaller seating in the Grills dining hall (he was solo). What are the other differences that might matter?

We have travelled in all grades of accommodation with the exception of Princess Grill. Britannia is excellent, Britannia Club allows open dining with the same table for all three meals - and a small a la carte menu to supplement the Britannia menu. The Grills offer larger cabins, and more extensive menus, food is cooked in a different galley in smaller quantities which means it isn't sitting around as much. Queen's Grill offers the opportunity to order "off menu" more easily than the other restaurants. There is obviously a lounge, a Concierge lounge on QM2 and a Grill's terrace.

So yes there is a difference, but whether it is worth it, is really up to the individual. Some prefer to travel more often, perhaps in less expensive cabins, some prefer to travel less often in more expensive cabins. No right, no wrong.

Edited by cruiseluvva

From what I'm reading, it seems that the Grills experience is very much about dining. After SO many cruises (on Princess by the way), I'm basically over the food. We cruise to be on the sea and to meet new people. Yes, food does matter...but we are really looking forward to the social aspect of cruising...Grills or no Grills. Can't wait!

p.s. I don't mind that this thread goes off in tangents. Everyone has been very polite. And to the admin...yes, this board is quieter than many others and I find the additional comments very helpful.

We have travelled in all grades of accommodation with the exception of Princess Grill. Britannia is excellent

Than ks for the great info! I suppose that if I were part of a couple - or a lot wealthier :) I'd do the Grill class but for the moment I shall be extraordinarily happy socializing with my own social and economic class which, just to clarify, is the class that you saw in Titanic that was staring longingly at the departing lifeboats. ;)

Good morning all.

Rodger.

It's termed "thread drift" and it happens on every internet forum that has ever existed from the year dot.

We very rarely close threads on this site, as long as discussions are polite and still about cruising they are allowed to carry on.

Indeed, but the previous moderator of this forum just to delete whole sections of people posts for no reason what so ever. At one stage it was getting so bad that people stopped bothering to post and I myself almost deleted my account because I was sick of it. Thankfully now things are much improved.

1) The follow up topics have been more interesting than the original OP topic, so why close it down?

2) The main perks of Grill Class are better food and dining experience, larger cabin, and private bar and Concierge.

After 4 cruises in Britannia Class, we finally tried PG on our last cruise. We loved it so much that we have booked our next Cunard sailing in PG as well. Of course it all depends on cost. If we can get a decent deal, we would always sail Grills Class in future. But also happy to do Britannia Club or Britannia if the pricing in the Grills is not to our liking.

Edited by commodoredave

Indeed, but the previous moderator of this forum just to delete whole sections of people posts for no reason what so ever. At one stage it was getting so bad that people stopped bothering to post and I myself almost deleted my account because I was sick of it. Thankfully now things are much improved.

Hi Toad

Snap!

This is my first post on this site in two and a half years.

I got suspended for a time for daring to ask if anybody knew what happened to another member, who, it turned out, was suspended for something that he didn't know, so I was guilty by association. Then some of my posts disappeared and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been reading the posts recently and the moderation does seem more reasonable and grown up, so maybe I'll be back!......I can just hear the groans.

Stewart

PS

I didn't even mention that my wife and I always travel Grills

Edited by BigMac1953

Welcome back Stewart, if you have any concerns over moderation please contact the Community Manager or me.

Generally as long as posts stay within the guidelines I am happy to let conversations carry on.

Discussion of deleted posts isn't permitted but it's historic and it would be a shame to delete your first post after such a long absence !

I would suggest that anyone of a nervous dissposition does not read this anarchistic thread.

It will I think come as a suprise to a lot of people that there are members of this forum,I am one,my wife is one,that cannot afford to travel in P or Q Grills.

We are fairly long standing Cunarders and are more than happy with our lot.Reading threads I sometimes get the impression that the first thing in a lot of peoples minds is to, as quickly as possible mention a Grill.

It is not my intention to be offensive,and I appologise if it comes over that way.It is just an observation on reading many Cunard threads.

Rodger.

Hi Rodger

My bank manager sort of agrees with you. However, I take the view that money is just numbers written on bits of paper.

Our first Cunard trip was in PG and we got hooked. Our next 14 were in QG.

We are limited to the time that we can take off, so don't mind paying a bit extra for a really enjoyable experience.

Unless somebody specifically asks, or it is a conversation subject, I wouldn't normally mention how we travel. Neither do I bring up what sort of railway tickets we buy, or modes of transport.

I suppose some folks are quite chuffed to get an upgrade or pleased to have saved enough to afford a Grills ticket and rightly so! Therefore if they choose to let everyone know of their good fortune, then good for them.

Those that do it regularly don't mention it.

Just my opinion.

Stewart

Hi Toad

Snap!

This is my first post on this site in two and a half years.

I got suspended for a time for daring to ask if anybody knew what happened to another member, who, it turned out, was suspended for something that he didn't know, so I was guilty by association. Then some of my posts disappeared and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been reading the posts recently and the moderation does seem more reasonable and grown up, so maybe I'll be back!......I can just hear the groans.

Stewart

PS

I didn't even mention that my wife and I always travel Grills

Welcome back BigMac, I loved your last comment, it made me smile.

As I've said before, I'm more than happy just to be on board.

However, if by some miracle DH and I were upgraded to the Grills would it be permissible to start a thread under the heading of

WHEN I TRAVELLED IN THE GRILLS

(Now that's shouting) :D

Edited by babs135

Having now returned from our first Queen Victoria cruise in a balcony, I can honestly say that it is a lovely ship, the cabin was very good (although the shower is a bit small) and the food in the Britannia restaurant varied from o.k. to good.

We were very unaware of the difference between Britannia and grills as the grills area was on deck 11 and access was very discreet.

Just as irritating as the constant 'Grills Mentioners' are the postscripts containing reams of cruises taken and ships sailed. Very often these lists are longer than the posts. I mean, who actually bothers to count? We've been cruising for some years now and I've no idea how many it is. I suppose if I got the photo albums out but....

MM

Just as irritating as the constant 'Grills Mentioners' are the postscripts containing reams of cruises taken and ships sailed. Very often these lists are longer than the posts. I mean, who actually bothers to count? We've been cruising for some years now and I've no idea how many it is. I suppose if I got the photo albums out but....

MM

If the information in signatures bothers you, they can be hidden.

In User CP, towards the top left of the screen, select Edit optionand then un-tick Show signatures.

Hope that helps

If the information in signatures bothers you, they can be hidden.

In User CP, towards the top left of the screen, select Edit optionand then un-tick Show signatures.

Hope that helps

Thank you I shall do that immediately. Another of life's small annoyances successfully removed and it's only 09.30. Could turn out to be a good day.

MM